The Student Room Group

Help, I have one year to until my GCSE's but I'm so worried on how to revise, HELP.

So I have one year til my GCSE's but I am worried sick on how to revsie efficiently and easily enough to achieve all A* (I know it's ambitious but I really want to be on top).

The subjects I am most worried about are all sciences (Physics, Chemistry and Biology), Maths and a bit of English and languages.

I just don't know how to revise efficiently as I my past grades ranged from C-A*, but I am yet to achieve A*s on maths and sciences, especially physics, as I need to achieve high in order to go to OxBridge and become a really good engineer.

So all in asking is, how do I revise efficiently that won't make me a study zombie and have some free time to relax. Please leave advice down below.

Thank you.
mind maps, flashcards,past papers, active recall.
Study in small chunks only revise what you don't know, little and often works best.
find out what type of learner you are e.g visual-use colour
let me know if you need anymore help and good luck
Reply 2
Don't be worried, you have plenty of time! It sounds like you are really motivated, so I am sure you will do great. :smile:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General tips
Hide away any phones when revising, basically no distractions (you can use the 'Forest' app - it helps).
REVISION TIMETABLE - I wouldn't really worry about this yet, but it really helps if you have a deadline, or you easily procrastinate. (remember to timetable relaxation times and days for no revision at all) -- don't be too ambitious for this as well (like DON'T timetable a million subjects a day - this isn't going to work)

Have a water bottle with you and call it your 'memory juice' - no real reason, it just helped me.

ALWAYS REWARD YOURSELF AFTER...with yummy snacks/favourite episode on netflix!!! (it gives you motivation) and ALWAYS make time for going out/hanging out with your friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Examples of types of revision

* SCIENCE: Make your own notes for science, it really helps. (I used notes from study guides and lesson notes compiled)
Use STUDY GUIDES (for most things actually) , they are amazing, but make sure you get the right exam board. Also the website SENECA is awesome.

Youtube channel: freesciencelessons!!!!!

* LANGUAGES: Quizlet is a top tier revision help for languages

* MATHS: Practice questions, HegartyMaths/youtube videos helps as they show you the process of how to ace a question. Study guide can help.

* ENG LANG: Best youtube channels are: mrbruff and Mrs Whelan's English

* ENG LIT: recommend general flashcards for quotes, themes, characters....mrbruff, sparknotes, cliffnotes. Study guides (York Notes).

After you learn stuff it is really recommended to do a lot of past paper questions, but you don't have to worry about that now.

But basically what I am saying is try lots of different stuff, because you want to try to make it 'fun' (strange right?). Little and often.

:biggrin:
Original post by deelia
Don't be worried, you have plenty of time! It sounds like you are really motivated, so I am sure you will do great. :smile:

General tips
Hide away any phones when revising, basically no distractions (you can use the 'Forest' app - it helps).
REVISION TIMETABLE - I wouldn't really worry about this yet, but it really helps if you have a deadline, or you easily procrastinate. (remember to timetable relaxation times and days for no revision at all) -- don't be too ambitious for this as well (like DON'T timetable a million subjects a day - this isn't going to work)

Have a water bottle with you and call it your 'memory juice' - no real reason, it just helped me.

ALWAYS REWARD YOURSELF AFTER...with yummy snacks/favourite episode on netflix!!! (it gives you motivation) and ALWAYS make time for going out/hanging out with your friends.

Examples of types of revision

* SCIENCE: Make your own notes for science, it really helps. (I used notes from study guides and lesson notes compiled)
Use STUDY GUIDES (for most things actually) , they are amazing, but make sure you get the right exam board. Also the website SENECA is awesome.

Youtube channel: freesciencelessons!!!!!

* LANGUAGES: Quizlet is a top tier revision help for languages

* MATHS: Practice questions, HegartyMaths/youtube videos helps as they show you the process of how to ace a question. Study guide can help.

* ENG LANG: Best youtube channels are: mrbruff and Mrs Whelan's English

* ENG LIT: recommend general flashcards for quotes, themes, characters....mrbruff, sparknotes, cliffnotes. Study guides (York Notes).

After you learn stuff it is really recommended to do a lot of past paper questions, but you don't have to worry about that now.

But basically what I am saying is try lots of different stuff, because you want to try to make it 'fun' (strange right?). Little and often.

:biggrin:

THANK YOU SOO Much, I shall try and use these to my advantage
Original post by Interesting name
So I have one year til my GCSE's but I am worried sick on how to revsie efficiently and easily enough to achieve all A* (I know it's ambitious but I really want to be on top).

The subjects I am most worried about are all sciences (Physics, Chemistry and Biology), Maths and a bit of English and languages.

I just don't know how to revise efficiently as I my past grades ranged from C-A*, but I am yet to achieve A*s on maths and sciences, especially physics, as I need to achieve high in order to go to OxBridge and become a really good engineer.

So all in asking is, how do I revise efficiently that won't make me a study zombie and have some free time to relax. Please leave advice down below.

Thank you.

For science, learn the syllabus. Go through it, make sure you know it, then do your past papers. I'm a serial last minute revision person and I got A*s in all of those above except for Chemistry, in which I got an A. I didn't do a single past paper except for my school mocks (but don't do that, it's not smart). I just used the syllabus and CGP revision guides.

Quick Reply

Latest