The Student Room Group

Clapping for NHS workers when you voted Tory is hypocritical.

There are so many reasons as to why I believe this. Just wondering what everyone else’s thoughts were.

Clapping in the first place in my opinion was stupid but that’s not the point..

Scroll to see replies

I can understand people regretting voting for the Conservative Party as even those who remember how poor and part-time a London Mayor Mr Johnson was (as I did- never voted Tory though) could ever have foreseen how bad he has been in this pandemic.

The hypocrisy really comes from those Conservative MPs who voted for cuts actual or real-term to the NHS budget. Not just Mr Johnson in this case.
Meh. I used to think like that until I realised that people voted Tory because they wanted something familiar.
Many of them regret their choice by now so it's about giving them an alternative.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
It is possible to be pro conservatives and pro NHS at the same time.
Or, put differently, it's possible to be pro NHS and anti Labour.

Most people's voting is more nuanced than a single issue.
Reply 4
Original post by barnetlad
I can understand people regretting voting for the Conservative Party as even those who remember how poor and part-time a London Mayor Mr Johnson was (as I did- never voted Tory though) could ever have foreseen how bad he has been in this pandemic.

The hypocrisy really comes from those Conservative MPs who voted for cuts actual or real-term to the NHS budget. Not just Mr Johnson in this case.

Of course the conservative MPs are the most hypocritical. But even regular people who voted them in. They knew the Tory stance on the NHS, most people knew yet they still voted them in
An absolute shambles of a government in my opinion.
I disagree, although I'm no fan of the clapping.
I voted for Boris and believe that British citizen NHS workers should be exempt from paying income tax, national insurance and should receive free car parking.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
It is possible to be pro conservatives and pro NHS at the same time.
Or, put differently, it's possible to be pro NHS and anti Labour.

Most people's voting is more nuanced than a single issue.

Someone that is so pro NHS wouldn’t have voted Tory. However I do agree you can be anti-labour and pro NHS even though Labour has always been for the working class nurses and immigrant nurses which the NHS stands on
Reply 7
Original post by New Foil
Someone that is so pro NHS wouldn’t have voted Tory. However I do agree you can be anti-labour and pro NHS even though Labour has always been for the working class nurses and immigrant nurses which the NHS stands on

Disagree. There are many many factors. That's too simplistic.
Not really, they didn't get a lot of choice since it was more a "we don't want Corbyn" vote.
Reply 9
Original post by londonmyst
I disagree, although I'm no fan of the clapping.
I voted for Boris and believe that British citizen NHS workers should be exempt from paying income tax, national insurance and should receive free car parking.

I understand a lot of people are not fans of the clapping, neither am I. Neither are a lot of nurses. They just want a pay rise. Which is what they voted against
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
Disagree. There are many many factors. That's too simplistic.

Of course there are many factors. But right now the NHS is the biggest one, imo. A lot of Tories can’t even accept the fact that they voted against a pay rise and will say anything to defend them. It’s always “well...labour this and Jeremy Corbyn that”...
Reply 11
Original post by DiddyDec
Not really, they didn't get a lot of choice since it was more a "we don't want Corbyn" vote.

On the topic of NHS, labour had the right idea imo.
Of course there are many factors. But right now the NHS is the biggest one, imo.

But people aren't voting right now, so that's irrelevant.

At the time of voting, the NHS wasn't in the top 5 issues.
Reply 13
Original post by TheStarboy
Meh. I used to think like that until I realised that people voted Tory because they wanted something familiar.
Many of them regret their choice by now so it's about giving them an alternative.

Regretting their decision now when time and time again they were reminded of the polices of their party. None of them were in favor of working class NHS workers.
the NHS family includes people who vote for all parties, from the Conservative and Unionist Party, via the Raving Loony Party to the frankly bonkers outfits.
Reply 15
Original post by Drewski
But people aren't voting right now, so that's irrelevant.

At the time of voting, the NHS wasn't in the top 5 issues.

NHS being overworked and under paid has always been a relevant issue. It should always be taken in to account when voting. We vote for the future, tories failed to do that
It is rather simplistic to think that Labour would have cured the NHS of all its problems. I voted Tory because they consistently handle the economy better than labour (especially when Corbyn was literally a communist) and a good economy affects the whole country (and the NHS).

Then again, I didn't clap...so this doesn't affect me really
Reply 17
Original post by the bear
the NHS family includes people who vote for all parties, from the Conservative and Unionist Party, via the Raving Loony Party to the frankly bonkers outfits.

Of course it includes everyone, I’m not denying that. A lot of people now regret their decision too 🤷🏽*♀️
NHS being overworked and under paid has always been a relevant issue. It should always be taken in to account when voting. We vote for the future, tories failed to do that

You ignore political realities
Of course it includes everyone, I’m not denying that. A lot of people now regret their decision too 🤷🏽*♀️

a lot of people feel even better about their decision too :parrot:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending