The Student Room Group

Clapping for NHS workers when you voted Tory is hypocritical.

Scroll to see replies

I took part in the clapping
I didn’t vote Tory or labour
Reply 21
Original post by the bear
a lot of people feel even better about their decision too :parrot:

It is beyond me how any one is genuinely proud of the government or Boris right now. Tory or not
Original post by New Foil
It is beyond me how any one is genuinely proud of the government or Boris right now. Tory or not

Well, what do you think they should be doing?
Reply 23
Original post by Drewski
You ignore political realities

NHS is very much a reality that people should consider when voting. Of course there are other things to think about. But a party’s policies on the NHS should be top 3, that’s what I believe

i am delighted with the excellent work the Government have done since Wuhan Disease was spread to our country. Boris inspires confidence amongst his grateful legions of admirers.
You got a problem with people voting for Tories?
Reply 26
Original post by 18FF930U3I
It is rather simplistic to think that Labour would have cured the NHS of all its problems. I voted Tory because they consistently handle the economy better than labour (especially when Corbyn was literally a communist) and a good economy affects the whole country (and the NHS).

Then again, I didn't clap...so this doesn't affect me really

I don’t think labour would have fixed all the problems. Especially not straight away with the mess torys have put it in
NHS is very much a reality that people should consider when voting. Of course there are other things to think about. But a party’s policies on the NHS should be top 3, that’s what I believe

It might well be what you believe, but you're not representative of the general voting population.

You can't impose your belief system on others. That's not how the game works.
Reply 28
Original post by Hissy girl
You got a problem with people voting for Tories?

I don’t have a problem with the people that vote tories. I have a problem with the Tory government and polices. This thread is to just have a discussion
I don’t think labour would have fixed all the problems. Especially not straight away with the mess torys have put it in

I am sure it was the last Labour government that made the mess in the first place
Reply 30
Original post by Drewski
It might well be what you believe, but you're not representative of the general voting population.

You can't impose your belief system on others. That's not how the game works.

...I’m not imposing my belief on anyone..? I said what I believe. I made this thread for what I believe. I’m happy to discuss with people that disagree.
...I’m not imposing my belief on anyone..? I said what I believe.

Really?
a party’s policies on the NHS should be top 3

You're telling people what they should find important.
None of them were in favor of working class NHS workers.

Who would you classify as 'working class NHS workers'?
Its not as simple as that, there are a thousand different factors to take into account when any government takes power. Its not just a matter of the Tories defeunded the NHS because that's what Tories do, thats stupid. I can tell you having worked for he NHS it is, and since the early 00s has been, a monetary black hole.

You can pour billions into it and it will never be satisfied, somewhere it has to stop. The hospital where I work went 90 million over budget, we were already one of the best equipped hospitals in the country. Its the abuse of the system thats the problem. There have literally been fistfights trying to get fit and well people out of hospital beds because they refuse to move. Perhaps if thickheads stopped abusing the system and taking up beds, unnecessary treatments and medicine, we could afford to pay the doctors and nurses their pay rise.

What we learnt when Brown sold all of our gold reserves is that we do not have unlimited money, it has to stop somewhere. The alternative is to vote in a party whose economic policies have left much to be desired. Until there is a reliable and reasonable alternative to the Tories, I feel I have zero choice in the matter, I would rather keep the status quo rather than risk another Labour government and thats just on their economic policies!
Reply 34
Original post by Drewski

Really?

You're telling people what they should find important.

Yes. I’ve said “I believe” multiple times in this thread.
Saying I think someone should find the NHS important isn’t imposing my belief on anyone. People are free to believe absolutely whatever. I was sharing my opinion. Hardly “imposing” at all. I can say I think people should like marmite, I’m not forcing anyone to like it. It would be my opinion.
Did I clap for the NHS? Yes I did.
Why? Because they are heroes 👏👏👏

I wouldn’t vote tories but even if I had I’d still clap for the NHS.
...I’m not imposing my belief on anyone..? I said what I believe. I made this thread for what I believe. I’m happy to discuss with people that disagree.

But you are though people like you are one of the reasons I vote for Tories
I understand a lot of people are not fans of the clapping, neither am I. Neither are a lot of nurses. They just want a pay rise. Which is what they voted against

Do you honestly believe that a taxable pay rise of a few hundred pounds a month max will be a significant source of assistance to NHS nurses and their dependants? :confused:

My friend is an NHS nurse in her 30s who has four children under 9 and a disabled veteran husband with an assistance dog.
Before covid19 she was working overtime and still struggling with the costs of her household's private rental accommodation, transport & basic living expenses.
Living on a very tight budget, skipping meals, no chance of paying for a restaurant meal or one days holiday.
Her family have always tried to help out with childcare support and free meals whenever possible but financial constraints are very tight for them too.
My friend does not want a pay rise, anyone's sympathy or clapping.
She wants access to stable reasonably priced accommodation that is fit for human habitation, free parking and subsidised support from professionals that she can rely upon when she has to work antisocial hours.
I'm not suggesting that these issues only pertain to nurses or nhs professionals but they require solutions far beyond a modest pay rise.
The clapping thing was stupid anyway. The hypocritical ***** would clap on a Thursday, meet with their friends on a Saturday and go down to the beach on a Sunday.
Reply 39
Original post by Hissy girl
But you are though people like you are one of the reasons I vote for Tories

He’s really not. Expressing your opinion on a public website on the debate forum is not imposing your views on anyone. Instead of rebutting it’s “YouRe fOrCing YouR OpiOn On mE”..... I thought we were meant to be the snowflakes 😂 and if the reason you voted tories is because of the type of people that express their opinion on the internet instead of (or over) the NHS then you are just proving his point.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending