The Student Room Group

I really want to move forward, someone please help

I got a medical condition not too long ago and it left me with anxiety and depression. I still have anxiety and depression and I stress eat a lot. I'm not overweight (I checked, I'm healthy weight) but I'm probably on the verge of becoming overweight. Everyday I feel like I can't move or do something productive (not because of my gain in weight.) I don't feel motivated to enjoy life or do little things that make me happy. I have mock exams soon and I'm not stressing out about them but I do want to revise but something is just pulling me back. It's not a voice but I feel as if I have two people in me. I want to enjoy life whatever my situation is but a part of me is just telling me 'it's over' 'your gonna be like this for the rest of your life. Don't try for exams; your not even gonna get a good job.' I feel like doing nothing except reading about my medical condition on sites that tell me I'm basically doomed.
Reply 1
You have to tell yourself that getting through these exams is your gateway to a better life. If you don’t try, then of course you won’t get a good job, but revise now, do well at school, get an apprenticeship/degree, you’ll be fine. No-one is truly doomed. If revision is an issue, find a friend to do it with, it makes it much easier :smile: What exams are you taking? GCSEs?
Original post by Anonymous
I got a medical condition not too long ago and it left me with anxiety and depression. I still have anxiety and depression and I stress eat a lot. I'm not overweight (I checked, I'm healthy weight) but I'm probably on the verge of becoming overweight. Everyday I feel like I can't move or do something productive (not because of my gain in weight.) I don't feel motivated to enjoy life or do little things that make me happy. I have mock exams soon and I'm not stressing out about them but I do want to revise but something is just pulling me back. It's not a voice but I feel as if I have two people in me. I want to enjoy life whatever my situation is but a part of me is just telling me 'it's over' 'your gonna be like this for the rest of your life. Don't try for exams; your not even gonna get a good job.' I feel like doing nothing except reading about my medical condition on sites that tell me I'm basically doomed.

you have yourself, most importantly. The only person who can help you right now is yourself. I want you to be your own best friend, alright? Help yourself, that's all you can do, and that's all that I want you to do. If you're reading this right now, give yourself a hug, cuz you are doing awesome for someone who is in your situation.

If there's one thing I would advise, it's writing. Take out a book and write whatever the hell you want. then flush it down the toilet or keep it. just write it down. It seems silly, I know, but please please give it a go ok? You'll be surprised at yourself, and when you write it down it's crazy everything seems so manageable. You've got this ok?
I think it’s important for you to set yourself little targets each day. That way you will slowly get things back under control
What you are feeling is entirely normal. It’s a stressful time so you’re bound to be suffering a little
Set yourself up a timetable for the next week. Not just work. Include exercise and hobbies, time with family and friends. Set meal times and plan what you’re going to eat if possible. Also set yourself some rewards for your achievements.
Gradually you’ll settle in to a routine and find things easier to manage.
You can and will succeed if you put in the effort. And you are worthy of that. It is not easy and you will have hurdles to overcome but with perseverance you’ll get there. Good luck
Reply 4
I'm sorry to hear that
Which year are you in? Do you study well?

Is there any chance you could tell me your medical condition? You're not doomed. If you tell me, I'll see what options there are.
Reply 6
Is there any chance you could tell me your medical condition? You're not doomed. If you tell me, I'll see what options there are.

ok the medical condition is tinnitus...I was scared to tell anyone because it fairly common and most people aren't bothered by it but I have it very severe. I get no sleep and the nights I do, it's only a few hours. I cry everyday because of it. I've had it for a few months now and I'm scared it's permanent
Reply 7
Original post by shebk
I'm sorry to hear that
Which year are you in? Do you study well?

I'm in year 10 doing GCSE's and my school is very strict. They are going to do the two sets of mocks the first ones in august (we get a very small summer break) My target grades are all 8's and 9's but for French is 7. I used to achieve such grades but ever since I got tinnitus, my grades are going really down. I get 5 and 6 occasionally 7. I feel as if I can never be my past self again
Reply 8
Original post by vix.xvi
you have yourself, most importantly. The only person who can help you right now is yourself. I want you to be your own best friend, alright? Help yourself, that's all you can do, and that's all that I want you to do. If you're reading this right now, give yourself a hug, cuz you are doing awesome for someone who is in your situation.

If there's one thing I would advise, it's writing. Take out a book and write whatever the hell you want. then flush it down the toilet or keep it. just write it down. It seems silly, I know, but please please give it a go ok? You'll be surprised at yourself, and when you write it down it's crazy everything seems so manageable. You've got this ok?

Thank you <3 ;(
I'm in year 10 doing GCSE's and my school is very strict. They are going to do the two sets of mocks the first ones in august (we get a very small summer break) My target grades are all 8's and 9's but for French is 7. I used to achieve such grades but ever since I got tinnitus, my grades are going really down. I get 5 and 6 occasionally 7. I feel as if I can never be my past self again

Dude I'm in year 11, predicted all 9s rn

In year 10 I was predicted the same grades as u

Take from this what u will, but remember that GCSEs are easier than u think

Dw abt it
U got this
Dude I'm in year 11, predicted all 9s rn

In year 10 I was predicted the same grades as u

Take from this what u will, but remember that GCSEs are easier than u think

Dw abt it
U got this

Thank you, I can't express how much I appreciate this message
ok the medical condition is tinnitus...I was scared to tell anyone because it fairly common and most people aren't bothered by it but I have it very severe. I get no sleep and the nights I do, it's only a few hours. I cry everyday because of it. I've had it for a few months now and I'm scared it's permanent

If you haven’t already, have a look here
https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/

They have online support and can help you access sound therapy to minimise the effects.
Original post by Sammylou40
If you haven’t already, have a look here
https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/

They have online support and can help you access sound therapy to minimise the effects.

I've tried sound therapy, counseling, took every test and scan but still nothing adds up. It never began with mental health problems but it certainly has led me to it.
Original post by Sammylou40
I think it’s important for you to set yourself little targets each day. That way you will slowly get things back under control
What you are feeling is entirely normal. It’s a stressful time so you’re bound to be suffering a little
Set yourself up a timetable for the next week. Not just work. Include exercise and hobbies, time with family and friends. Set meal times and plan what you’re going to eat if possible. Also set yourself some rewards for your achievements.
Gradually you’ll settle in to a routine and find things easier to manage.
You can and will succeed if you put in the effort. And you are worthy of that. It is not easy and you will have hurdles to overcome but with perseverance you’ll get there. Good luck

I keep telling myself that everyone goes through trouble in life and this is just my obstacle. Someday I'll reach I comfortable position I hope, without this alarm in my head 24/7
I keep telling myself that everyone goes through trouble in life and this is just my obstacle. Someday I'll reach I comfortable position I hope, without this alarm in my head 24/7

I hope so
Don’t give up trying. Take care
Reply 15

I have tinnitus since I was 7,but not severe. When do you begin to suffer that?
Original post by shebk
I have tinnitus since I was 7,but not severe. When do you begin to suffer that?

I've had tinnitus for 6 months and it's always been severe ;(

Quick Reply

Latest