The Student Room Group

How do you actually get all 9's at GCSE?

Hi,

I'm currently in y10 going into y11. I am predicted all 9's at GCSE. Over the summer I am looking to create some more revision (I already have some from topic tests in school). My technique for making my revision is going to be (by using my revision guides and specifications) I'm going to make some condensed notes for each topic in each subject. I'm then going to condense that down into flashcards. Learn them and then closer to my mocks and GCSE's, I'm going to do loads of practice papers and blurting. I was going to make a revision timetable and use the Pomodoro technique for revision. My mocks are in December. Some of the previous y11's said revise for a lot your mocks so the information is engraved in your brain.

Are these the right techniques? Is there anything else I can do to revise? Is it enough to get me 9's? Do you have any good websites you'd recommend?

Exam board: AQA
Subjects: Triple science (Biology, Chemistry + Physics), Maths, English Language, French, Music, Drama, (getting predicted grades for English Literature this year, so I don't sit it next year)

Many thanks x
Reply 1
Practice papers are the way to go. It’s the only thing that worked for me. Make a list of all the questions you got wrong and do questions on those topics
Reply 2
Original post by Squirmz
Practice papers are the way to go. It’s the only thing that worked for me. Make a list of all the questions you got wrong and do questions on those topics

I've found practice papers useful in the past too. Thank you for the advice :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Pa0703
I've found practice papers useful in the past too. Thank you for the advice :smile:

No worries, good luck with your revision :-)
Reply 4
Can only echo what's been said about practise papers. However, it's really important that you do leave some papers for the weeks before the exams because it is actually possible that you could run out of material too early; so be careful on that one. It may be worth looking at the other exam boards' papers too.

Also, my one strongest piece of advice is, make sure you make time to chill as well. Burnout is a real thing and if it catches you at the wrong time, it's a real pain to deal with in exam season.
Reply 5
Original post by Pa0703
Hi,

I'm currently in y10 going into y11. I am predicted all 9's at GCSE. Over the summer I am looking to create some more revision (I already have some from topic tests in school). My technique for making my revision is going to be (by using my revision guides and specifications) I'm going to make some condensed notes for each topic in each subject. I'm then going to condense that down into flashcards. Learn them and then closer to my mocks and GCSE's, I'm going to do loads of practice papers and blurting. I was going to make a revision timetable and use the Pomodoro technique for revision. My mocks are in December. Some of the previous y11's said revise for a lot your mocks so the information is engraved in your brain.

Are these the right techniques? Is there anything else I can do to revise? Is it enough to get me 9's? Do you have any good websites you'd recommend?

Subjects: Triple science (Biology, Chemistry + Physics), Maths, English Language, French, Music, Drama, (getting predicted grades for English Literature this year, so I don't sit it next year)

Many thanks x

Blurting was my whole mock exam season :colonhash:
Seriously though go for it! Learn the notes but do some past papers too 🥳
Different things work for different people. Practice papers worked for me in written subjects such as English Language and History, for example.

The other thing I would recommend is to ensure you are having a good night's sleep, especially before exams. Don't stay up late revising, and don't do any the night before (do something else such as watching tv or a film).
Original post by Pa0703
Hi,

Many thanks x

Thank goodness for this post! I'm in year 10 (going into year 11) as well and although i'm not predicted ALL 9's, that is what i'm aiming for. But, i made the irresponsible mistake of not writing any notes because of my mental health (which got worse during quarantine).

I do the exact same options as you (with the same exam board) except for Music and French (i do spanish instead).

I looked on the ofqual website and they said that they are going to change our performance rules for drama (i do it as well) and i hope devising is scrapped because mine isnt going very well.

Good luck with your revision (and thank you for your study idea because i might use it as well!)
Reply 8
By revising efficiently and effectively focusing on going over “harder content” and content I didn’t enjoy as much or wasn’t the best at understanding.
Reply 9
Original post by nepotism
Can only echo what's been said about practise papers. However, it's really important that you do leave some papers for the weeks before the exams because it is actually possible that you could run out of material too early; so be careful on that one. It may be worth looking at the other exam boards' papers too.

Also, my one strongest piece of advice is, make sure you make time to chill as well. Burnout is a real thing and if it catches you at the wrong time, it's a real pain to deal with in exam season.

Ok, thank you. I think I might work backwards from the practice papers a few years ago and do the most recent practise papers closer to the exam :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Moonbow
Blurting was my whole mock exam season :colonhash:
Seriously though go for it! Learn the notes but do some past papers too 🥳

Thank you so much for the advice! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by barnetlad
Different things work for different people. Practice papers worked for me in written subjects such as English Language and History, for example.

The other thing I would recommend is to ensure you are having a good night's sleep, especially before exams. Don't stay up late revising, and don't do any the night before (do something else such as watching tv or a film).

Ok, thank you so much :smile:
Original post by nepotism

yes

burnout is so dangerous
Reply 13
Original post by actinglover
Thank goodness for this post! I'm in year 10 (going into year 11) as well and although i'm not predicted ALL 9's, that is what i'm aiming for. But, i made the irresponsible mistake of not writing any notes because of my mental health (which got worse during quarantine).

I do the exact same options as you (with the same exam board) except for Music and French (i do spanish instead).

I looked on the ofqual website and they said that they are going to change our performance rules for drama (i do it as well) and i hope devising is scrapped because mine isnt going very well.

Good luck with your revision (and thank you for your study idea because i might use it as well!)

Omg, thank you! Me and the people in my drama group were having a conversation about the performance part of things. We actually got an email from our drama teacher today saying we need to have finished our portfolios by now, and none of us has. oops! My mental health has been a factor that has affected me for many years too. Thankfully I'm a lot better now compared to before and am now a mental health ambassador for my school. If I've learnt anything its to look after your mental health by practising self-care. Good luck lets hope our exams go forward as normal :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Deggs_14
By revising efficiently and effectively focusing on going over “harder content” and content I didn’t enjoy as much or wasn’t the best at understanding.

Thank you for this advice (It's the brutal truth that we need to hear but don't want to lol.) :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by vix.xvi
yes

burnout is so dangerous

Thank you, that is definitely one of the things I'm going to focus on most. Your mental health always comes first :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest