The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Everyone should be pro BLM

I made this thread to discuss why people should be pro BLM. In no way am I trying to change everyone’s lifestyles. I’m saying people should be pro BLM because it is pro equal rights :smile:

I see a lot of ALM people on here and the ignorance level is genuinely so so high. ALM was a movement created to belittle the BLM movement - basically, ALM people are the ones that don’t want black people to have the same equal opportunities as non black people.

Black lives matter does NOT mean ONLY black lives matter, it’s saying black lives should matter the same alongside non black lives. This is a movement that has been happening a long time due to black people enduring so much racism and violence due to the colour of their skin.

Being pro BLM means that you support equal rights for everyone. It doesn’t mean you think black people are more superior than another race. Black people just want to be treated in the same attitudes as non black people.

Nobody is saying that all lives shouldn’t matter. People are saying they just want black lives to matter as much as everyone else’s.

If you fail to understand what I’m saying here then please go watch some YouTube videos explaining this, there are a lot of good ones out there.

By the way I don’t hold hate towards anyone, I only hope to educate the ignorant people. Also, if you know you’re a racist please don’t comment :smile:

Edit: I don’t mean to anger anyone, keep in mind this thread is just a debate. I will always keep an open mind to everyone and what they say.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Skipping the fact that there are at least 5 different movements calling themselves BLM, the answer is no.
Everyone should be pro equal rights, if you choose to stand with a certain political organisation or movement then that is up to you.
I think people who reply 'All Lives Matter' to black lives matter posts are stupidly ignorant. It's exactly what you said - it's not say that only black lives matter, just that they're the group who need our help right at this moment. And nobody argues that white lives don't matter.

Unfortunately, things have happened such as protests and looting that have undermined and tainted what is in fact a very important issue. I hope that as things die down with the initial impact of this, action can be taken appropriately to make changes in this world without resorting to the violence that gives the movement - and anything associated with it - a bad name.
Reply 4
Original post by Mojmeer
Skipping the fact that there are at least 5 different movements calling themselves BLM, the answer is no.

I didn’t know about these 5 different movements. Could you please explain to me? Genuinely asking, thanks
Reply 5
Original post by DiddyDec
Everyone should be pro equal rights, if you choose to stand with a certain political organisation or movement then that is up to you.

I agree, everyone should be pro equal rights. However I see a lot of people saying they are, but not actually showing it (posting a black screen on Instagram because it’s a trend).

And yes politics is quite messy especially in today’s society. But we have to remember that BLM isn’t political, it’s simply saying that black people deserve the same opportunities as non black people. I think everyone should be pro BLM, especially those who are pro equal rights because BLM is pro equal rights
Reply 6
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I think people who reply 'All Lives Matter' to black lives matter posts are stupidly ignorant. It's exactly what you said - it's not say that only black lives matter, just that they're the group who need our help right at this moment. And nobody argues that white lives don't matter.

Unfortunately, things have happened such as protests and looting that have undermined and tainted what is in fact a very important issue. I hope that as things die down with the initial impact of this, action can be taken appropriately to make changes in this world without resorting to the violence that gives the movement - and anything associated with it - a bad name.

Completely agree with you and a lot of people like to nit pick things from the movement and only focus on these things.
Original post by 1joeylee
I agree, everyone should be pro equal rights. However I see a lot of people saying they are, but not actually showing it (posting a black screen on Instagram because it’s a trend).

OHHHH the facts though.
No, the BLM is specifically targeted to african-americans suffering from violence/police brutality/injustice I won't join in a trend just because I see others doing it, because as soon as the hype dies down in the states, everyone will go back to their candy floss lifestyles and forget about it all
Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn’t follow and believe.

And yes politics is quite messy especially in today’s society. But we have to remember that BLM isn’t political, it’s simply saying that black people deserve the same opportunities as non black people. I think everyone should be pro BLM, especially those who are pro equal rights because BLM is pro equal rights

It is political and divisive.

"We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege...
We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered."
Reply 11
Original post by Hudds999
Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn’t follow and believe.

I’m not trying to change everyone’s lifestyle. I’m simply saying that everyone should care about black people. It’s not a big ask
Reply 12

Thank you for the resource. I may have been wrong, however I can’t find where it says that it is a political movement? If you could point me to where is explains that would be appreciated
Reply 13
^ Also just want to clarify that wanting equal rights isn’t political and solely just a human rights issue. I believe that BLM is a human rights movement however I can be wrong and I do keep an open mind to everyone’s views, just as long as they are respectful :smile:
Thank you for the resource. I may have been wrong, however I can’t find where it says that it is a political movement? If you could point me to where is explains that would be appreciated

Those two points I quoted is where it strays from its equal rights goal in to divisive gender politics that I have no interest in supporting.
Reply 15
Original post by DiddyDec
Those two points I quoted is where it strays from its equal rights goal in to divisive gender politics that I have no interest in supporting.

If you’re talking about those two points then BLM is not political movement. I’m also not understand how it is ‘divisive’. They say they want to dismantle cisgender privilege and they don’t want sexism in the workplace? How could you not support that?
Reply 16
God how many of these hoary old threads do we need?
I’m not trying to change everyone’s lifestyle. I’m simply saying that everyone should care about black people. It’s not a big ask

Do you support Marxism?
Reply 18
If you’re talking about those two points then BLM is not political movement.

How so?

I’m also not understand how it is ‘divisive’.

Did you not say you'd been watching the threads here on blm? Surely you should have seen countless examples of how and why people consider is divisive. Nevermind the fact any such political action group by definition will always be divisive.

They say they want to dismantle cisgender privilege and they don’t want sexism in the workplace? How could you not support that?

Well for a start because that patently absurd. 'cisgender' privilege indeed :rofl:
Reply 19
^ Also just want to clarify that wanting equal rights isn’t political and solely just a human rights issue. I believe that BLM is a human rights movement however I can be wrong and I do keep an open mind to everyone’s views, just as long as they are respectful :smile:

By definition that is a political issue...

Latest

Trending

Trending