The Student Room Group

can someone help me choose GCSE subjects?

Hi guys,
So I am going to do GCSEs this year but haven't got many options I would appreciate it if someone could give me advice about which subjects I should choose, so here are the options:

20200707_131713-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Emma.arden
Hi guys,
So I am going to do GCSEs this year but haven't got many options I would appreciate it if someone could give me advice about which subjects I should choose, so here are the options:

Hey!

Do you have any ideas about what you might want to do in the future? (seems like an obvious question but it could help choose the options) Or any subjects you particularly like? Triple science is so much fun!

From my GCSE experience 1. you ideally have to enjoy the subjects (otherwise there might be a lack of motivation to study) 2. what are you interested in? :smile:
Reply 2
What subjects do you enjoy? Your options should be based around that, and where you anticipate the best results. Take care and stay safe
Reply 3
I prefer the sujbects in the upper section except geography but I think I should choose a subject from the lower list too in exhange with spanish.
Reply 4
Original post by JohnB1
What subjects do you enjoy? Your options should be based around that, and where you anticipate the best results. Take care and stay safe

I am not sure about spanish do you think spanish is a good subject? as I am having second thoughts about it.
Reply 5
Original post by scienceishguy
Hey!

Do you have any ideas about what you might want to do in the future? (seems like an obvious question but it could help choose the options) Or any subjects you particularly like? Triple science is so much fun!

From my GCSE experience 1. you ideally have to enjoy the subjects (otherwise there might be a lack of motivation to study) 2. what are you interested in? :smile:

I'll definately choose triple science but not sure about other subjects, the upper block subjects seem interesting to me.
Reply 6
I am not sure about spanish do you think spanish is a good subject? as I am having second thoughts about it.

Yh i think MFLs are very useful, and Spanish (being a very widely spoken language) would definitely be a great skill to have
Reply 7
I also

Hi guys,

I think Geography is a great subject (especially because of the human geography side). In the course I am taking we have a whole topic on economic activity which I think is really vital, no matter what job you end up going for. Computer Science is another very useful subject for today's world, though I personally can't stand it and don't take it (I'm a much more of an ancient history person)

A shame that Classical subjects (Latin, Ancient Greek, Classics Civilisation) aren't options though- as I said earlier I love ancient history and they are really fascinating subjects.

Triple Science is brilliant- great choice!

I think RS is a very useful subject, not so much for the content, but the skills that you gain. You learn how to debate, listen to others and formulate arguments and opinions as well as thinking a little outside the box at times.

I think a language is always a good idea to strengthen analytical ability.

I'm not very familiar with the subjects in List B though, our school doesn't offer any of those quirkier subjects- sorry I can't be much help for those.

At the end of the day it's about what you enjoy because that's what you'll do well in.

For a rough idea, here are my subjects (which I am so happy with):

English lang, English lit, Maths (have to take Add Maths too :frown: ), Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Religious Studies, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek
im still baffled that triple science is a choice for some people
Reply 9
Hi guys,

Triple science is a good shout. Actually, any of List A would be solid choices.

Further to that, I would advise that the most important factor determining your choice of subject should be how much you enjoy it.

On a side note, I’m very dismayed that you’re not given the opportunity to study all/more of the subjects on List A, or more/other languages.
Reply 10
Original post by OxMus
Triple science is a good shout. Actually, any of List A would be solid choices.

Further to that, I would advise that the most important factor determining your choice of subject should be how much you enjoy it.

On a side note, I’m very dismayed that you’re not given the opportunity to study all/more of the subjects on List A, or more/other languages.

yeah the choices are pretty limited😔
Reply 11
Original post by spqr101
I also

I think Geography is a great subject (especially because of the human geography side). In the course I am taking we have a whole topic on economic activity which I think is really vital, no matter what job you end up going for. Computer Science is another very useful subject for today's world, though I personally can't stand it and don't take it (I'm a much more of an ancient history person)

A shame that Classical subjects (Latin, Ancient Greek, Classics Civilisation) aren't options though- as I said earlier I love ancient history and they are really fascinating subjects.

Triple Science is brilliant- great choice!

I think RS is a very useful subject, not so much for the content, but the skills that you gain. You learn how to debate, listen to others and formulate arguments and opinions as well as thinking a little outside the box at times.

I think a language is always a good idea to strengthen analytical ability.

I'm not very familiar with the subjects in List B though, our school doesn't offer any of those quirkier subjects- sorry I can't be much help for those.

At the end of the day it's about what you enjoy because that's what you'll do well in.

For a rough idea, here are my subjects (which I am so happy with):

English lang, English lit, Maths (have to take Add Maths too :frown: ), Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Religious Studies, Spanish, latin, Ancient Greek

Your choices are unique, It's new to hear someone prefer more ancient and historical subjects. I can't remeber a single date in history book nor those ancient names but I still think it's an interesting subject.😊
(edited 3 years ago)
I think just choose the ones you enjoy they most or think you might take for A-levels :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest