The Student Room Group

Recipes

Hi, if you are an baker or wanting to make some tasty snacks to try out, look no further as this is a place where you can share some recipes of your own or a favourite of yours :biggrin:

Don't worry if you are not that confident because it's fun trying out and you might surprise yourself with the results you create :h: (You are welcome to watch this thread for any lurkers who come across this :heart:)

I hope everyone enjoys this thread and join the desserts society: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=4952

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PetitePanda
Hi, if you are an baker or wanting to make some tasty snacks to try out, look no further as this is a place where you can share some recipes of your own or a favourite of yours :biggrin:

Don't worry if you are not that confident because it's fun trying out and you might surprise yourself with the results you create :h: (You are welcome to watch this thread for any lurkers who come across this :heart:)

I hope everyone enjoys this thread and join the desserts society: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=4952

Ooo another great thread I have stumbled upon! :excited:
I do love a bit of baking. Since TSR purged my excellent flapjack recipe off my profile I will have to share it here.

250g Oats (rolled, porridge, doesn't really matter what kind)
125g Sugar (Demerara is best but you can use any brown variant)
125g Butter
2-3 tbsp Honey (Treacle, Golden Syrup or Maple Syrup can work) depending on how gooey you want them.

Preheat Oven to 180C
Line tin with greaseproof paper
Melt the butter in a pan with the sugar and honey on low heat, add oats to pan and stir till oats of all covered.
Transfer to tin, spread them around and press them down with the back of spoon.
Bake for 15-20mins.
Leave to cool till they have hardened enough to cut with a sharp knife.

You can add nuts or anything else you might like just remember to remove the weight of the additional dry ingredients from the oat total.
Reply 3
Honestly one of the best muffins I've made to date.
Ingredients
½ cup (2 ½oz/71g) all-purpose flour
cup (1 ⅓oz/37g) cocoa powder , unsweetened
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
cup (4oz/115g) bittersweet chocolate chips
½ cup (4floz/115ml) oil (canola, veg, sunflower, coconut)
cup (4oz/115g) dark brown sugar
2 large eggs , room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
cup (2 ½oz/71g) plain yogurt, room temperature
½ cup (3oz/85g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a 12 cup muffin pan with 9 paper liners.
In a bowl, sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate large bowl, melt the cup chocolate. You can do this gently in the microwave or over a bain-Marie.
Once the chocolate has cooled, whisk in the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and yogurt.
Into the chocolate mixture, fold in the 1/2 cup chocolate chips and the bowl of dry ingredients until just combined. Take care not to over mix this batter as it will toughen the muffins.
Spoon the batter into the 9 prepared liners, filling them to the top. Top each muffin with a few extra chocolate chips.
Bake for roughly 17-18 minutes. Take care not to over bake or your muffins will be dry. You want the muffin to still be a little soft when you press on top.
Once cooled store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Original post by DiddyDec
I do love a bit of baking. Since TSR purged my excellent flapjack recipe off my profile I will have to share it here.

125g Butter
2-3 tbsp Honey (Treacle, Golden Syrup or Maple Syrup can work) depending on how gooey you want them.

Preheat Oven to 180C
Melt the butter in a pan with the sugar and honey on low heat, add oats to pan and stir till oats of all covered.
Bake for 15-20mins.

You can add nuts or anything else you might like just remember to remove the weight of the additional dry ingredients from the oat total.

Omg such an easy recipe to follow :eek: I love how you mentioned the type of sugar is best :biggrin: Thank you for your excellent flapjack recipe :heart:
Original post by SAK_01
Honestly one of the best muffins I've made to date.
Ingredients
½ cup (2 ½oz/71g) all-purpose flour
cup (1 ⅓oz/37g) cocoa powder , unsweetened
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
cup (4oz/115g) bittersweet chocolate chips
½ cup (4floz/115ml) oil (canola, veg, sunflower, coconut)
cup (4oz/115g) dark brown sugar
2 large eggs , room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
cup (2 ½oz/71g) plain yogurt, room temperature
½ cup (3oz/85g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a 12 cup muffin pan with 9 paper liners.
In a bowl, sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate large bowl, melt the cup chocolate. You can do this gently in the microwave or over a bain-Marie.
Once the chocolate has cooled, whisk in the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and yogurt.
Into the chocolate mixture, fold in the 1/2 cup chocolate chips and the bowl of dry ingredients until just combined. Take care not to over mix this batter as it will toughen the muffins.
Spoon the batter into the 9 prepared liners, filling them to the top. Top each muffin with a few extra chocolate chips.
Bake for roughly 17-18 minutes. Take care not to over bake or your muffins will be dry. You want the muffin to still be a little soft when you press on top.
Once cooled store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

Muffins yesss :dance: Thank you so much :heart: Never made muffins before - is there any things to take account?
Original post by PetitePanda
Omg such an easy recipe to follow :eek: I love how you mentioned the type of sugar is best :biggrin: Thank you for your excellent flapjack recipe :heart:

That is my personal recipe, I'm still in the testing stages of adding chocolate to mix. From what I have seen you need to reduce the weight from the butter total but I am unsure on ratios as different chocolate has different fat content. More testing is required (after lockdown because I'm getting fat).

You should end up with something like this, although that is a hazelnut, pecan and cinnamon mix.

Reply 7
With Muffins it’s very easy to overmix the batter, once it has come together, stop
Hope this helps x
That is my personal recipe, I'm still in the testing stages of adding chocolate to mix. From what I have seen you need to reduce the weight from the butter total but I am unsure on ratios as different chocolate has different fat content. More testing is required (after lockdown because I'm getting fat).

You should end up with something like this, although that is a hazelnut, pecan and cinnamon mix.

Looks so good :daydreaming: Makes me want to stop working and bake :biggrin:
Original post by SAK_01
With Muffins it’s very easy to overmix the batter, once it has come together, stop
Hope this helps x

Thank you x it will help :biggrin:
Guys I need some help if it's ok. My mum's birthday is coming up this week and I don't have time to trial recipes before the real thing as I have been too busy making her present :frown:
Do any of you know any kind of nice and soundproof recipe I could do? Not any wild ingredients I wouldn't have at home though :redface:
Thanks xx
Reply 11
Original post by Moonbow
Guys I need some help if it's ok. My mum's birthday is coming up this week and I don't have time to trial recipes before the real thing as I have been too busy making her present :frown:
Do any of you know any kind of nice and soundproof recipe I could do? Not any wild ingredients I wouldn't have at home though :redface:
Thanks xx

Is there any specific recipes you would like and are there any allergies which need to taken care of?
Original post by SAK_01
Is there any specific recipes you would like and are there any allergies which need to taken care of?

Thank you so much for replying :biggrin:
Any recipe at all would be brilliant! I want to make it fancy but not too stressful to bake :colondollar:
She is decaf usually but when we get cakes from the supermarket that have caffeine she is absolutely fine. I think as long as it isn't 1 litre of the stuff we are good :laugh:
Original post by Moonbow
Thanks xx

My vote is flapjacks, you can't wrong even if you forget about them and leave them in the oven for 20 minutes long than you were supposed to :colondollar:
Reply 14
Original post by Moonbow
Thank you so much for replying :biggrin:
Any recipe at all would be brilliant! I want to make it fancy but not too stressful to bake :colondollar:
She is decaf usually but when we get cakes from the supermarket that have caffeine she is absolutely fine. I think as long as it isn't 1 litre of the stuff we are good :laugh:

I agree with the Flapjacks but here are some recipes which i have been familiar with from BIGGER BOLDER BAKING and I think do exceptionally well:
https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/vanilla-birthday-cake-recipe/
https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/crazy-cookie-dough/
https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/no-bake-oreo-cheesecake/
My vote is flapjacks, you can't wrong even if you forget about them and leave them in the oven for 20 minutes long than you were supposed to :colondollar:

Oh thank goodness! I might've undercooked my brownies last week haha!
I don't know if she is a fan, which is slightly annoying :no:
I could do a cake AND flapjacks though! :eek:
Thank you!
Original post by Moonbow
Thanks xx

My soundproof recipe is mini victorian sponge cakes with some berries. As long as you dont do macarons then you'll be fine :lol:
Reply 17
Original post by Moonbow
Oh thank goodness! I might've undercooked my brownies last week haha!
I don't know if she is a fan, which is slightly annoying :no:
I could do a cake AND flapjacks though! :eek:
Thank you!

No problem, please tell us how it goes and Happy Birthday to your mother in advance!

125g Butter

Preheat Oven to 180C
Bake for 15-20mins.

any ideas if butter can be subbed with oil or margarine for a low fat version?
Original post by SAK_01
I agree with the Flapjacks but here are some recipes which i have been familiar with from BIGGER BOLDER BAKING and I think do exceptionally well:
https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/vanilla-birthday-cake-recipe/
https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/crazy-cookie-dough/
https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/no-bake-oreo-cheesecake/

Omg i agree with cheesecake - they are so delicious but easy to make :heart:

Quick Reply

Latest