The Student Room Group

England, next Euros

Can we reasonably expect England to get to the semi-finals?
Has anything qualitatively changed since the previous 50 years (summary here)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NJA

Why would we care about getting to the semis?
Original post by NJA

A lot has changed in the past 50 years. The current crop of young players coming out of top academies in England is the best I’ve seen in my lifetime.

It’s been about 15 years now since the blood and thunder 4-4-2 English football started to be phased out so the kids coming through now have seen and played the modern European style of football which gives them a better chance of competing with other top sides who play the same way. The effects of huge investment in academies by the top clubs, the EPPP and the restructuring of the reserves league have all started to work. Top signings from abroad often struggling to adapt to the Premier League (and hyperinflation in the transfer market) has led to a focus on developing home grown talent.

Players like Trent, Gomes, CHO, Abraham, Wan Bissaka, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Mount, Williams, Saka etc are only going to get better over the next 2-3 years.

England will have enough talented players to win major trophies in this generation providing they have a top manager helping them to outsmart their opponents and win the games. The jury is still out on Southgate after his disasterclass against Croatia in the World Cup.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
The usual reason / excuse is that our home fixture list is busier than other nations so our players are half knackered before they start.
Original post by NJA
The usual reason / excuse is that our home fixture list is busier than other nations so our players are half knackered before they start.

I’ve never heard that before ... how is it busier? The regular season in the majority of the top football countries has roughly the same number of games?
Reply 5
Original post by IanDangerously
I’ve never heard that before ... how is it busier? The regular season in the majority of the top football countries has roughly the same number of games?

As well as a very competitive Premiership where every team (nearly) is a threat we have the FA Cup and EFL trophy.
Original post by NJA
As well as a very competitive Premiership where every team (nearly) is a threat we have the FA Cup and EFL trophy.

Yeah but how many of the major players actually appear in the EFL Cup before the semi-finals or the FA Cup before the last 8? It’s a lazy excuse, all of the top teams in Europe and South America have a full league season, a domestic cup and a continental cup with a group stage.

I reckon for the 2022 World Cup because of when it’s being played, the PL teams won’t enter the league cup anyway because they’ll have to use midweek slots in September/October as a PL fixture round.
Reply 7
Yeah but how many of the major players actually appear in the EFL Cup before the semi-finals or the FA Cup before the last 8? It’s a lazy excuse, all of the top teams in Europe and South America have a full league season, a domestic cup and a continental cup with a group stage.

I reckon for the 2022 World Cup because of when it’s being played, the PL teams won’t enter the league cup anyway because they’ll have to use midweek slots in September/October as a PL fixture round.

The English league is the only one (well, only major one) not to get a winter break, that's been regularly cited as a reason for fatigue later in the year.
Reply 8

I reckon a major Factor is that the euros and the World Cup is always played in the summer where teams from hotter climates do better because their bodies are used to it if it was held in the English winter we would win no problem!
Reply 9
ok, and who on the bench?
In a sense the bench is huge, we are only as good as it because of likely injury, tactics, like a chain, we are only as strong as our weakest link, good teams & their managers will know how to exploit this.

France look a bit tasty, can we beat them?
(edited 3 years ago)
There could be a strong side in there but Southgate (or another manager) will pick Harry Kane and undermine what could be a good side.

Imagine a front 3 of Sterling, Rashford and Sancho.
All of those front 3 can, and have, play centrally.

Kane's metrics and stats have all declined over the last couple of years. He's taking fewer touches in the opposition boxes, taking less shots and scoring less. He doesn't have the pace or mobility so you have to adapt your entire team around him to try and get the best out of him.

The England squad isnt blessed like in the past so they need to make the most of out the entire squad they have, not just focus on one player.
Reply 12
Original post by Zerforax

Kane's metrics and stats have all declined over the last couple of years. He's taking fewer touches in the opposition boxes, taking less shots and scoring less. He doesn't have the pace or mobility so you have to adapt your entire team around him to try and get the best out of him.

The England squad isnt blessed like in the past so they need to make the most of out the entire squad they have, not just focus on one player.

Yeah it seemed to me that ManU built around Rooney for too long, and he failed to deliver.
If Kane isn't our best we should make use of the fact that we can now make 5 substitutions
(edited 3 years ago)
Tactics can evolve over time. The current premier league champions don't play with a number 9. If you look at the heat maps and touches, Firmino plays deeper than a traditional number 9 and Salah/Mane come into a narrower position between fullbacks/CBs and both have numbers up there in terms of goals.

All this isn't to say Kane is a bad player, I just think when you have Rashford, Sterling, Sancho all doing well at big clubs (Man Utd, Man City and Dortmund) who all play in more mobile front 3 attacks, then you might as well try and utilise them the same.
Reply 14
Kane is the joint 7th top English scorer this season

Sterling and Sancho are our best players. By next summer Sterling Greenwood Sancho will be the way to go
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
When I think that Portugal have Ronaldo & Fernandes, France have Mbappe, it is sobering.

Also Belgium are strong & can't ignore Holland.
(edited 3 years ago)
Surely have to be looking at Foden by summer 2021?
Original post by Zerforax

If Harry Kane wasn't England's golden boy there would be serious questions over his place in the team right now.
Reply 18
Will The Sancho Effect work internationally?

I think so, unless they can find one player to stop him receiving the ball.
Reply 19
Kane showed he can cane the opposition twice today

Quick Reply

Latest