The Student Room Group

AAT looking for a ACCA trainee job

Hello, I am student a Coventry University, Studying Proffesional Accounting. My course is accredited by AAT, ICAEW and IFA however I really want to do an ACCA qualification. I will be looking an ACCA trainee job in the future, and I wanted to ask is it hard to find a trainee job after graduation that could possibly help me with ACCA studies?
Reply 1
Original post by A-Yellow-Spring
Hello, I am student a Coventry University, Studying Proffesional Accounting. My course is accredited by AAT, ICAEW and IFA however I really want to do an ACCA qualification. I will be looking an ACCA trainee job in the future, and I wanted to ask is it hard to find a trainee job after graduation that could possibly help me with ACCA studies?

not sure I understand your question. have you passed AAT and if so what level? Any work experience - if so what type? Any A levels? If so what grades?
Original post by ajj2000
not sure I understand your question. have you passed AAT and if so what level? Any work experience - if so what type? Any A levels? If so what grades?

I'll just link you the course. Also I am planning to do work experience. My grade is DMM in BTEC business and IT.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cuc/course-structure/hnc-hnd-degree/2020-21/accounting/&ved=2ahUKEwinpfL1jbTqAhXFoVwKHVv-Dx0QFjAAegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw2rGj6cxi815bHKQslQKrPM
Original post by ajj2000

I chose the 4 year sandwich course.
It states that you get 8 exemption units from ICAEW. However, you may get greater exemptions from ACCA and I would email them to be certain https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6577590

Your industrial placement may count towards your practical experience. I wouldn't worry too much about job prospects, first graduate and then undertake any required units to become an ACCA member. Your university would have established good industry links to offer sandwich courses and most university career services are very helpful. Sometimes, if you impress your placement employer, they may offer you a job after you graduate.
Original post by AlphaZeta
It states that you get 8 exemption units from ICAEW. However, you may get greater exemptions from ACCA and I would email them to be certain https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6577590

Your industrial placement may count towards your practical experience. I wouldn't worry too much about job prospects, first graduate and then undertake any required units to become an ACCA member. Your university would have established good industry links to offer sandwich courses and most university career services are very helpful. Sometimes, if you impress your placement employer, they may offer you a job after you graduate.

I see, I am a bit worried about the ICAEW qualification, as I have heard that it is not very good compared to ACCA. Do trainee jobs in ACCA take on people like me? Also does this course mean that I do not need to do a level 4 AAT? Also, the sandwich placement was optional, but the course says that I will have to find an employer myself.
(edited 3 years ago)
I see, I am a bit worried about the ICAEW qualification, as I have heard that it is not very good compared to ACCA. Do trainee jobs in ACCA take on people like me? Also does this course mean that I do not need to do a level 4 AAT? Also, the sandwich placement was optional, but the course says that I will have to find an employer myself.

This has already been answered before.ACA is prestigious, especially in the UK and ACCA is more internationally recognised. You don't do AAT if you are doing an Accountancy degree because your degree should cover the ACCA fundamentals (F1-F9). This means that out of the 14 papers you may only need to do the professional papers (2 or 4) after you graduate to become ACCA member. And, after 3 years of work experience you will be a qualified accountant with a degree. You need to check with ACCA to find out what you are exempt.

Seems to be a lazy university that doesn't have a liaison officer to establish industry network and links. When I did my placement, our lecturer had good industry contacts which he established over many years and I went to ICI. In your case, I would contact your careers service to help you get placement with the 'Big 4'.
(edited 3 years ago)

Hi, I work in practice where they take on ACA trainees each year. ACA is considered to be a better qualification that ACCA, so I wouldn't worry about that. I think you should send out letters to all the firms near you asking if they have any ACA/ACCA trainee positions. Practically every firm where I live take on trainees each year.

Somebody that I work with got a degree in business and then came straight to where I work and now is studying ACA.

A friend at another local firm did A-Levels only and is studying towards ACCA. I dont think there are any real entry requirements for ACCA. ACCA is also a qualification that is offered at universities, so maybe have a look at that?

Good luck
Original post by studentqueries
Hi, I work in practice where they take on ACA trainees each year. ACA is considered to be a better qualification that ACCA, so I wouldn't worry about that. I think you should send out letters to all the firms near you asking if they have any ACA/ACCA trainee positions. Practically every firm where I live take on trainees each year.

Somebody that I work with got a degree in business and then came straight to where I work and now is studying ACA.

A friend at another local firm did A-Levels only and is studying towards ACCA. I dont think there are any real entry requirements for ACCA. ACCA is also a qualification that is offered at universities, so maybe have a look at that?

Good luck

I acknowledge the higher status of ACA, however with that comes the fact that it is much harder, and has only 4 tries. I'm also worried as I don't have high A-level or GCSE grades, which is what most ACA trainee employers want. I've also heard that ACA trainee jobs can suck alot as I've seen on TSR. The problem is that I dont think other ACCA trainee jobs would hire me either, as they might frown when they see that my course had ICAEW exemptions and not ACCA ones. ACA also has restrictions internationally and in different UK firms, whilst with ACCA you can work in almost any country.
Reply 9
I acknowledge the higher status of ACA, however with that comes the fact that it is much harder, and has only 4 tries. I'm also worried as I don't have high A-level or GCSE grades, which is what most ACA trainee employers want. I've also heard that ACA trainee jobs can suck alot as I've seen on TSR. The problem is that I dont think other ACCA trainee jobs would hire me either, as they might frown when they see that my course had ICAEW exemptions and not ACCA ones. ACA also has restrictions internationally and in different UK firms, whilst with ACCA you can work in almost any country.

Your course probably (almost certainly) has ACCA exemptions. Have you checked?
Original post by ajj2000

Yes, and they don't have any, they only have AAT level 4, ICAEW/CFAB and IFA.
Original post by ajj2000

If I get an exemption on AAT level 4 would I be exempt from the first three tests of ACCA or would it make no difference?

I really dont think that any country in this world would turn their nose up at somebody with an ACA qualification. You're a qualified accountant. That just would not happen
(edited 3 years ago)
If I get an exemption on AAT level 4 would I be exempt from the first three tests of ACCA or would it make no difference?

Yes you would be, as just having A-Levels makes you exempt from the first three tests and AAT is obviously a better qualification
Original post by studentqueries
I really dont think that any country in this world would turn their nose up at somebody with an ACA qualification. That just does not happen

As well as this if you do either ACCA or ACA you can apply to gain the other qualification too. I know of a few people who have both ACCA and ACA through doing this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending