The Student Room Group

A-level Geography help

so I’m in year 11 about to go into college in september and due to our extra long holiday thanks to corona😔, I’ve been thinking a lot about my a-level subjects and I’ve recently realised that I want to change my 3rd A-level from psychology to geography. However when I went to college taster days/open days, I had my mind set on psychology as my 3rd a-level so I have no idea what A-level geography is like. So could anyone who does A-level geography give me a bit of insight to what it’s like?
-side note that I should probably add, I did gcse geography and it was one of my favourites and one of the subjects I was most successful in. (so me saying I have no idea what A-level geography is like, is probably abit of an exaggeration but oh well)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I did AQA A Level Geography, so my experience will be a bit different if you are doing the qualification with another exam board.

Geography A Level consists of two main areas - human geography and physical geography.

Human geography contains topics such as population & the environment, changing places and global systems & governance. These topics obviously have 'people' as the core, as opposed to physical geography.

Physical geography contains topics such as water & carbon cycles, glacial systems and hazards.

Both physical and human contain numerous case studies that you will learn and rely upon to support your answers in your final A Level exams.
Original post by Haider_A
I did AQA A Level Geography, so my experience will be a bit different if you are doing the qualification with another exam board.

Geography A Level consists of two main areas - human geography and physical geography.

Human geography contains topics such as population & the environment, changing places and global systems & governance. These topics obviously have 'people' as the core, as opposed to physical geography.

Physical geography contains topics such as water & carbon cycles, glacial systems and hazards.

Both physical and human contain numerous case studies that you will learn and rely upon to support your answers in your final A Level exams.

did you also do gcse geography and if so what was the jump from gcse to a-level like ?
Original post by mabelkabutey
did you also do gcse geography and if so what was the jump from gcse to a-level like ?

I am in year 12 doing OCR geography and did AQA at gcse. For me I found that in terms of content it wasn't a massive jump - there is quite a similar number of topics you just learn about them in more detail. I found the main jump was exam technique you go from having a few short questions and 9 mark questions to having a few 3/4 markers and 16/33 mark questions (depending on exam board). I really enjoy it, especially human and exam questions come with practice. :smile:
Original post by Becca216
I am in year 12 doing OCR geography and did AQA at gcse. For me I found that in terms of content it wasn't a massive jump - there is quite a similar number of topics you just learn about them in more detail. I found the main jump was exam technique you go from having a few short questions and 9 mark questions to having a few 3/4 markers and 16/33 mark questions (depending on exam board). I really enjoy it, especially human and exam questions come with practice. :smile:

okay thankyou 😁
Reply 5
Original post by mabelkabutey

Yes I did.

It wasn't a significant jump for the most part, for example, I studied glaciers at GCSE and that came in very handy at A Level
Reply 6
If you enjoyed GCSE geography and did well - i would recommend taking it for A Levels. Its so much easier to learn a subject you enjoy. I found A Level geography quite fun too, the content can be boring sometimes, but most topics are relevant and interesting. If you need any help or advice with geo, let me know. ive just finished the course so i've nothing else to do :smile:.

Also , i still have all my notes (including nea and personal statement) on google docs if you would like them.
A level geography is well.. bipolar for me, I did AQA and Physical geography was a pain whilst Human was more interesting! The NEA was the highlight as I could actually go out and be independent.

Only take A level Geo if you're ready to learn existing and new concepts eg Physical has alot of the same gcse content but steps up when it comes to the detail eg tectonics plates move via continental drift but you need to learn about ridge push/slab pull, there's also the water and carbon cycles

There's a bunch of case studies which you need to remember so if you like facts and figures, geo is for u
Original post by dbains1
If you enjoyed GCSE geography and did well - i would recommend taking it for A Levels. Its so much easier to learn a subject you enjoy. I found A Level geography quite fun too, the content can be boring sometimes, but most topics are relevant and interesting. If you need any help or advice with geo, let me know. ive just finished the course so i've nothing else to do :smile:.

Also , i still have all my notes (including nea and personal statement) on google docs if you would like them.

oh my gosh yes, that would really help me
thankyou
Original post by dbains1

I’m trying to send you a message but it says you’re not allowed to or have chosen not to receive private messages??
Reply 10
Original post by dbains1

Yes please to the notes xx
Reply 11
Original post by dbains1

Please can you send me your geography alevel notes if possible ? And the google doc?
Reply 12
Original post by dbains1

Ouuu what did you end up getting in geography?
I found A-Level Geography really interesting - not too much of a jump from GCSE, but definitely more in-depth content.

Fieldwork+coursework was surprisingly fun too. In A-Level Geog there are some high mark essay style questions, but as long as you stay on topic and don’t go off on tangents it’s pretty easy to gain marks.

I found Geog so good that now I’m doing Bsc Geography at uni!
Original post by dbains1

Hi I would like to use your notes
Can you share them with me?
Original post by 101justastudent
Hi I would like to use your notes
Can you share them with me?

A level notes please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending