The Student Room Group

University

hey guys!

so i currently study Travel and Tourism and am on track to achieve 112 UCAS points.

(I know that sounds low but my course was cut unexpectedly so this is the maximum I can achieve)

Just wondering what degrees I could do with this? I was looking at Tourism and Hospitality but other than a tourism based subject, what else could I study?

I know I don’t need a degree to go into Tourism so please don’t just say that! I’m just curious.

Thanks, please be nice haha :smile:
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
hey guys!

so i currently study Travel and Tourism and am on track to achieve 112 UCAS points.

(I know that sounds low but my course was cut unexpectedly so this is the maximum I can achieve)

Just wondering what degrees I could do with this? I was looking at Tourism and Hospitality but other than a tourism based subject, what else could I study?

I know I don’t need a degree to go into Tourism so please don’t just say that! I’m just curious.

There are plenty of degrees out there that don't require specific qualifications. I imagine a lot of more general business/management type degrees would be open to you, for example, but equally there are probably lots of degrees not specifically related to your BTEC who would accept you. In general, STEM subjects tend to want you to have studied something STEM related at level 3, but other subjects are often less fussy.

112 UCAS points is equivalent to about BBC, which is fine for a lot of mid-ranking unis, especially if you're planning at looking at courses in clearing?

What sort of thing would you like to study?
hey guys!

The dye has been cast, unfortunately. Firstly not all unis accept BTEC qualifications. Secondly, it will be hard for you to come with a BTEC in Travel and Tourism and be accepted onto say a Law degree. Lots of unis offer foundation routes - especially for the science and engineering subjects - so you could see if they will accept a Travel and Tourism BTEC.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
There are plenty of degrees out there that don't require specific qualifications. I imagine a lot of more general business/management type degrees would be open to you, for example, but equally there are probably lots of degrees not specifically related to your BTEC who would accept you. In general, STEM subjects tend to want you to have studied something STEM related at level 3, but other subjects are often less fussy.

112 UCAS points is equivalent to about BBC, which is fine for a lot of mid-ranking unis, especially if you're planning at looking at courses in clearing?

What sort of thing would you like to study?

I’m definitely not looking at a Russel Group or Oxbridge as I know I can’t get in don’t worry about that haha!

I was sort of thinking something either Tourism related or Business, Management or marketing??
Original post by mike23mike
The dye has been cast, unfortunately. Firstly not all unis accept BTEC qualifications. Secondly, it will be hard for you to come with a BTEC in Travel and Tourism and be accepted onto say a Law degree. Lots of unis offer foundation routes - especially for the science and engineering subjects - so you could see if they will accept a Travel and Tourism BTEC.

I won’t be going down STEM degree options or law so I’m okay there haha!

I’m also not looking at Russel Groups or Oxbridge as I know I won’t get in haha! Most unis now do accept BTEC qualifications in regards to meeting the UCAS point entry requirements so I should be fine :smile:
Original post by mike23mike

Nearly all universities including Oxford accept btec. Whether they accept Travel and Tourism for any course only the university can say,
Original post by swanseajack1
Nearly all universities including Oxford accept btec. Whether they accept Travel and Tourism for any course only the university can say,

Yes! True! As long as you meet UCAS point entry requirements, a uni will usually consider you. Depending on the BTEC that is. However most unis now view BTECs as valid qualifications and will accept you on the grounds you meet entry requirements :smile:
I’m definitely not looking at a Russel Group or Oxbridge as I know I can’t get in don’t worry about that haha!

I was sort of thinking something either Tourism related or Business, Management or marketing??

There are definitely unis that would accept you for business/management/marketing with your qualifications- I wouldn't rule Russel Group out necessarily, if you wanted an aspirational choice. Are you looking at 2020 or 2021 entry?
There are definitely unis that would accept you for business/management/marketing with your qualifications- I wouldn't rule Russel Group out necessarily, if you wanted an aspirational choice. Are you looking at 2020 or 2021 entry?

2021! I sort of ruled them out as 112 UCAS points isn’t exactly high compared to what most applicants would have scored. I thought that there’s no way I could reach entry requirements? :smile:
2021! I sort of ruled them out as 112 UCAS points isn’t exactly high compared to what most applicants would have scored. I thought that there’s no way I could reach entry requirements? :smile:

Most universities accept below their published offers. You might get accepted in Liverpool or Cardiff for this year through clearing. Swansea might be worth a try and Aberystwyth is another. There will be good unis for definite if you do your research as long as they accept the subject you have taken.
Most universities accept below their published offers. You might get accepted in Liverpool or Cardiff for this year through clearing. Swansea might be worth a try and Aberystwyth is another. There will be good unis for definite if you do your research as long as they accept the subject you have taken.

I’m looking at Aberystwyth anyway because I loved the look of it!

Unfortunately i would be joining in 2021, so would I still have the possibility of being accepted through clearing then?

It depends on the uni and the course- but some less popular courses at good unis still have relatively low entry requirements. It's also fine to include 1/2 aspirational choices where you don't quite meet the standard offer- you may get lucky and get an offer anyway.

I'd also ask your reference to explain the circumstances of you only being able to get 112 points from your course and maybe ask them to explain this doesn't fully reflect your ability.

You could also look into doing an AS level next year, possibly, which could up your UCAS points. This isn't essential and you will still have lots of options with 112 points, but it's worth thinking about maybe?
It depends on the uni and the course- but some less popular courses at good unis still have relatively low entry requirements. It's also fine to include 1/2 aspirational choices where you don't quite meet the standard offer- you may get lucky and get an offer anyway.

I'd also ask your reference to explain the circumstances of you only being able to get 112 points from your course and maybe ask them to explain this doesn't fully reflect your ability.

You could also look into doing an AS level next year, possibly, which could up your UCAS points. This isn't essential and you will still have lots of options with 112 points, but it's worth thinking about maybe?

yes! I’ve looked into sitting an AS level next year but it’s difficult where I’m from. My college have offered the chance to stay on and sit an A level to add points to my qualification but I’m not 100% certain on doing that.

Thanks for your advice! I’ll definitely get my reference to explain the circumstances.
yes! I’ve looked into sitting an AS level next year but it’s difficult where I’m from. My college have offered the chance to stay on and sit an A level to add points to my qualification but I’m not 100% certain on doing that.

Thanks for your advice! I’ll definitely get my reference to explain the circumstances.

I have just checked Aber's clearing list. You meet their range. You dont need to go back to school. There will be loads others. In Wales you would have a good chance of getting into Swansea, Cardiff and Bangor with those grades even if they show higher. Email or phone the university you want to go to
BTEC National Diploma:

DDM-MMM

That's fair enough- good luck with your application!
I have just checked Aber's clearing list. You meet their range. You dont need to go back to school. There will be loads others. In Wales you would have a good chance of getting into Swansea, Cardiff and Bangor with those grades even if they show higher. Email or phone the university you want to go to
BTEC National Diploma:

DDM-MMM

Ahh thank you!
You could also try the likes of Keele, Bath Spa, UWE and Plymouth. Even though your a grade below I think you would be accepted in Swansea.
I’m looking at Aberystwyth anyway because I loved the look of it!

Unfortunately i would be joining in 2021, so would I still have the possibility of being accepted through clearing then?

Hi @pepsimaxcherry

Great to hear that you're considering Aberystwyth. Let us know if you've got any questions or if there is anything we can help you with :smile:
Original post by Aberystwyth University
Hi @pepsimaxcherry

Great to hear that you're considering Aberystwyth. Let us know if you've got any questions or if there is anything we can help you with :smile:

Ahh thank you! I’ll let you know if I need any info :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending