The Student Room Group

Current NHS issues

What do you think is the biggest issues faced by nurses currently?

Also what covid-19 has taught us about our Healthcare system and workers
Original post by babushkac4

I think the biggest issues faced by the NHS right now are the fact there are now millions of people waiting for elective operations and procedures. How they will clear that is beyond me.

Other than that, I get the feeling that modernisation has been forced on the NHS for the better. The other week I rang up for a doctor's appointment and was called by him the very next day. Superb! So much better than the previous system where I would have had to wait for over 2 weeks!
Two words...

Bloated management.
Reply 3

Childcare.

For nurses specifically, they are starting to have to pay more for their training/courses despite being used on the wards for most of the course' duration. This is why there are now less interest in becoming a nurse as it seems to be paying to work.
It's as if everyone thinks the NHS is run by nice nurses on minimum wage. lol

Jeremy Hunt is no longer there to pressure them into striking.
Reply 7
Original post by TheStupidMoon
It's as if everyone thinks the NHS is run by nice nurses on minimum wage. lol

lol I wasnt implying that so, sorry if thats what you got from this. I know its a whole system and all, its just that nurses are very understaffed and very underpaid espscially for the amount of work and effort they put in. (not saying everyone else doesnt put in alot of work, ofc they do but nurses get very sh1t pay)
lol I wasnt implying that so, sorry if thats what you got from this. I know its a whole system and all, its just that nurses are very understaffed and very underpaid espscially for the amount of work and effort they put in. (not saying everyone else doesnt put in alot of work, ofc they do but nurses get very sh1t pay)

Unpopular opinion here, but I don't think nurses are poorly paid.

Graduate nurses go in at around £25k to £30k. If you seek propotion that goes up and up. When you add in 7 weeks holiday, a pension that actually pays a living and the ability to work contracts like 3 days on, 4 days off, compared to the private sector equivalent it is a good career. When you add in the fact that you have opporunities for work anywhere in the country or world I think it is a great option. Like teachers, nurses love a good moan but the grass isn't greener in the private sector.
Reply 9

If we privatised the NHS then nurses would get paid more. The NHS sucks for nurses.

A school nurse with eight years experience only gets £38k with an average salary pension. If we privitised the NHS they would get double that or more.
Original post by Quady
If we privatised the NHS then nurses would get paid more. The NHS sucks for nurses.

A school nurse with eight years experience only gets £38k with an average salary pension. If we privitised the NHS they would get double that or more.

How do you figure that? Much of the nHS is already privatised. The only difference between public and private is that the government pay private companies who skim a profit. Private companies are motivated to increase profits by teducing costs and making efficiency savings. In a service led business like health, this includes reducing pay and cutting staff. When you go for a cateract or hip opperation, you can do so in the knowledge that it is being carried out by the lowest bidder e.g. cheapest.

How much should a nurse with 8 years experience get? Given average earning of around £29k I would say that is pretty good.

Also, what is an average pension? Most private companies pay 3% of earnings linked to stocks and shares. NHS give a guarenteed payout based on years service which is vastly better than anything in the private sector.
Reply 11
Original post by ByEeek
How do you figure that? Much of the nHS is already privatised. The only difference between public and private is that the government pay private companies who skim a profit. Private companies are motivated to increase profits by teducing costs and making efficiency savings. In a service led business like health, this includes reducing pay and cutting staff. When you go for a cateract or hip opperation, you can do so in the knowledge that it is being carried out by the lowest bidder e.g. cheapest.

How much should a nurse with 8 years experience get? Given average earning of around £29k I would say that is pretty good.

Also, what is an average pension? Most private companies pay 3% of earnings linked to stocks and shares. NHS give a guarenteed payout based on years service which is vastly better than anything in the private sector.

Nurses mostly aren't, and the ones that are get paid a lot more as locums.

If there really are too few nurses then a non monopolistic buyer would be forced to pay more. Its only because the NHS cuts costs as a monopoly buyer that nursing wages are so low.

I dunno, the poster said they didn't get paid enough.

Suggesting 3% as the legal minimum is a suitable comparator is a bit disingenuous when BUPA's employer contribution is up to 18%.
Original post by Quady
Nurses mostly aren't, and the ones that are get paid a lot more as locums.

If there really are too few nurses then a non monopolistic buyer would be forced to pay more. Its only because the NHS cuts costs as a monopoly buyer that nursing wages are so low.

I dunno, the poster said they didn't get paid enough.

Suggesting 3% as the legal minimum is a suitable comparator is a bit disingenuous when BUPA's employer contribution is up to 18%.

An interesting point but I don't buy it because NHS work goes to the lowest bidder and once won there generally isn't much slack to pay increased wages.

There is also the fact that paying differing amounts would cause discontent in what is effectively a gigantic union.

Schools now have the ability to pay teachers what they like but choose to stick to the teacher pay scale because doing differently would cause a massive stink.
Reply 13
Original post by ByEeek
An interesting point but I don't buy it because NHS work goes to the lowest bidder and once won there generally isn't much slack to pay increased wages.

There is also the fact that paying differing amounts would cause discontent in what is effectively a gigantic union.

Schools now have the ability to pay teachers what they like but choose to stick to the teacher pay scale because doing differently would cause a massive stink.

Given NHS England directly employs 1.2m people, how many people work for NHS England through subbies....?
Original post by Quady
Given NHS England directly employs 1.2m people, how many people work for NHS England through subbies....?

To be fair, I don't know. I did find that the NHS spent about 7.6% of its budget on private providers in 2015/16. Are GP surgerys private entities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending