The Student Room Group

how to get 9s at GCSE?

hey, I'm in yr9. would you please give some advice on how to get 9s at GCSE.
I really want to try my best and achieve my goal.
thank you so much

Scroll to see replies

I’m just going into year 11 in September and if I were you I’d start putting more effort in whilst in Year 9, especially if your school begins doing options in Year 9. Make sure to revise for every test or mock paper that comes up as it will help you to remember the knowledge. If you want to go above and beyond you could test yourself on knowledge you have learnt regularly so that Year 11 isn’t as much of a stress as it would be. My target grades are also 8s and 9s but the Coronavirus lockdown has completely messed my motivation up. Good luck
Original post by harleyx123
thank you so much

It's not very hard to get 9's in your GCSEs. Getting all 9's is hard though cos you have to put in more effort than everyone in each subject.
Go over the content once you finished it and do past paper questions. Know the content and equations like the back of your hand.
thank you so much

hey, I'm also year 9 and I'm aiming for straight 9s and English is the only subject that I'm slightly struggling with. what texts are you doing? :smile:
Revise and do practice papers

Use the next year or so to figure out which revision techniques work best for you and then in year 11 you can get your head down and work
Original post by oufoufoufouf
hey, I'm also year 9 and I'm aiming for straight 9s and English is the only subject that I'm slightly struggling with. what texts are you doing? :smile:

English is based more on skill then knowledge it’s not about revising knowledge but more practicing. Practice exam papers and questions regularly to get better. Obviously there are still things to revise especially for Literature but practicing is definitely most effective with English.
I meeean... sometimes getting a 9 is kinda a waste for your time...like with subjects like geography, RE, Spanish all the time you spent working hard to get a high grade won't even matter. no asks you how much you got in RE, even the main ones you don't need to get a 9, and it's not easy, i say don't be dishearted if you don't get it but if you really wanna well in the subject, a grade 7 is very good! but u know its good to aim high tho.
Original post by Azurekalyani
I meeean... sometimes getting a 9 is kinda a waste for your time...like with subjects like geography, RE, Spanish all the time you spent working hard to get a high grade won't even matter. no asks you how much you got in RE, even the main ones you don't need to get a 9, and it's not easy, i say don't be dishearted if you don't get it but if you really wanna well in the subject, a grade 7 is very good! but u know its good to aim high tho.

I disagree, yes for RE I totally agree, but I want to do engineering in France and I need to do higher maths, physics, French, and lower Spanish, English and geography at IB, and to get into the university I want, you need 39-41 at IB, so high marks are kind of important for me
Reply 8
I got a few 9s in geography, Spanish, business and physics over the 2 years (how I pulled off that still baffles me haha! Physics is a slight nightmare :redface:). If you need any help with these I’m happy to give it a go x
Reply 9
Original post by nediak12
I’m just going into year 11 in September and if I were you I’d start putting more effort in whilst in Year 9, especially if your school begins doing options in Year 9. Make sure to revise for every test or mock paper that comes up as it will help you to remember the knowledge. If you want to go above and beyond you could test yourself on knowledge you have learnt regularly so that Year 11 isn’t as much of a stress as it would be. My target grades are also 8s and 9s but the Coronavirus lockdown has completely messed my motivation up. Good luck

yes same for me!! coronavirus has messed me UP lmao :frown:
i took:
business
french
cooking
geography
triple science
higher maths
are they hard ( because you are in yr11, I thought it would be a good idea to ask :smile:)
thanks soo much
Harley xx
I disagree, yes for RE I totally agree, but I want to do engineering in France and I need to do higher maths, physics, French, and lower Spanish, English and geography at IB, and to get into the university I want, you need 39-41 at IB, so high marks are kind of important for me

yes, but if you get a good grade in French, it's unlikely that it'll mean you'll be good at speaking the language, school is more about getting grades than learning. I guarantee that if you know the basics and live in France for at least a year you'll be close to fluent that's the best way to learn a language, go to the country that majority speak it. But if you specifically want to learn that subject then yes probably best to get good grades.
I meeean... sometimes getting a 9 is kinda a waste for your time...like with subjects like geography, RE, Spanish all the time you spent working hard to get a high grade won't even matter. no asks you how much you got in RE, even the main ones you don't need to get a 9, and it's not easy, i say don't be dishearted if you don't get it but if you really wanna well in the subject, a grade 7 is very good! but u know its good to aim high tho

that is true :smile:
but getting 8s and 9s at GCSE is one of my wishes so I'm going to try :smile:
Harley xx
yes, but if you get a good grade in French, it's unlikely that it'll mean you'll be good at speaking the language, school is more about getting grades than learning. I guarantee that if you know the basics and live in France for at least a year you'll be close to fluent that's the best way to learn a language, go to the country that majority speak it. But if you specifically want to learn that subject then yes probably best to get good grades.

Well in terms of French I'm in the bilingual club despite not being french anyway so I'm not worried about the GCSE at all :smile:
that is true :smile:
but getting 8s and 9s at GCSE is one of my wishes so I'm going to try :smile:
Harley xx

yes you'll never know what you can achieve if you don't try. I wish i had that mindset when i was in your position. so youre going about it the right way:smile:
thank you so much

hey what gcses are u taking. Im in yr 13 and I got 9s in Geography, History, English Lit and Spanish and 8 in R.E on mark of a 9. Ask me anything with relation to any of those subjects :smile:
Original post by Moonbow
I got a few 9s in geography, Spanish, business and physics over the 2 years (how I pulled off that still baffles me haha! Physics is a slight nightmare :redface:). If you need any help with these I’m happy to give it a go x

WOW!!!! that's AMAZINGGG :smile:
for GCSE i have taken:
business
french
cooking
geography
triple science
higher maths
do you have any advice on how to get good marks :smile: tysmmm <3
Harley xx
Original post by ShonenLights
It's not very hard to get 9's in your GCSEs. Getting all 9's is hard though cos you have to put in more effort than everyone in each subject.
Go over the content once you finished it and do past paper questions. Know the content and equations like the back of your hand.

okay, I will try that thank you so much <3
Harley xx

BROOO I'm struggling with English too. :frown:
my teacher sends me homework and I have NO IDEA what to do :frown:
the texts I am doing:
inspector calls
love & relationships
a Christmas carol
poems :smile:
I hope that helped! what are you doing xx
Harley xx
ka

Original post by Becca216
Revise and do practice papers

Use the next year or so to figure out which revision techniques work best for you and then in year 11 you can get your head down and work

okay, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH xxx
Harley xx
Original post by Lemonsandlemons
hey what gcses are u taking. Im in yr 13 and I got 9s in Geography, History, English Lit and Spanish and 8 in R.E on mark of a 9. Ask me anything with relation to any of those subjects

did you do English language and Lit by any chance?
out of all of my subjects, I struggle with them most :frown:
thank you so much :smile:
Harley x

Quick Reply

Latest