The Student Room Group

Could I self teach geography a level?

I’m going to start in September.

Thoughts?
(edited 3 years ago)
Hmm it is quite content heavy! Would you be getting a tutor or just trying with the textbook?
Original post by laurawatt
Hmm it is quite content heavy! Would you be getting a tutor or just trying with the textbook?

Sorry, what I meant was could I prepare myself well for it when I start in September.
Original post by The-judge-16
Sorry, what I meant was could I prepare myself well for it when I start in September.

If you go onto the CoolGeography website and go one to the A-level stuff (under the "advanced" sub-heading at the top) there are some topic names, you could check out a few of them if you're interested. (I think they're for the AQA exam board, so it's worth checking what exam board you're going to be doing first)

On PhysicsAndMathsTutor they have notes and revision things on for AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC under the "A-levels from 2016" heading :biggrin:

But there's not pressure to do loads of stuff for it now, I didn't do any geography in my Y11 summer going into Y12 :h:
If you go onto the CoolGeography website and go one to the A-level stuff (under the "advanced" sub-heading at the top) there are some topic names, you could check out a few of them if you're interested. (I think they're for the AQA exam board, so it's worth checking what exam board you're going to be doing first)

On PhysicsAndMathsTutor they have notes and revision things on for AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC under the "A-levels from 2016" heading :biggrin:

But there's not pressure to do loads of stuff for it now, I didn't do any geography in my Y11 summer going into Y12 :h:

Oh ok, many thanks for your help. I’m going to be doing AQA geography alongside biology and sociology. What did you get in your a levels, I’d you don’t mind me asking.
Oh ok, many thanks for your help. I’m going to be doing AQA geography alongside biology and sociology. What did you get in your a levels, I’d you don’t mind me asking.

Just about to go into Y13 :smile: (I do AQA geog too :five:)
Just about to go into Y13 :smile: (I do AQA geog too :five:)

How are you finding it 😊
How are you finding it 😊

I really enjoy it! Lots of interesting topics :h:
Thanks for your advice. Im just worried that I’ll start off the course feeling stressed with the amount of work that I could’ve prepped for to make my life a whole lot easier.
I really enjoy it! Lots of interesting topics :h:

That’s great to hear 🙂
what about fieldwork and the NEA?
Original post by livelyrao
what about fieldwork and the NEA?

they were meaning how could they prepare for geog a-level over this summer so they have a head start for Y12 :smile:
ohh sorry aha, thank you for letting me know! :smile: my teachers recommended the physics and maths tutor for geography, they have lots of detailed notes :smile: also, if you check your course specification and perhaps go over the GCSE topics that will come again in a level. i think yt videos are underrated because i find some of them super useful for case studies. I hope this helps, good luck! :smile: oh, also time for geography website is genuinely the best, they are videos by universities! :smile:
Original post by livelyrao
ohh sorry aha, thank you for letting me know! :smile: my teachers recommended the physics and maths tutor for geography, they have lots of detailed notes :smile: also, if you check your course specification and perhaps go over the GCSE topics that will come again in a level. i think yt videos are underrated because i find some of them super useful for case studies. I hope this helps, good luck! :smile: oh, also time for geography website is genuinely the best, they are videos by universities! :smile:

Thank you for your advice!
Thank you for your advice!

No worries, I'm glad I could help :smile: Also, this revision site called Seneca has entire revision courses for different specification so I would suggest that as well

Quick Reply

Latest