The Student Room Group

Revision hours

How many hours a week do u study per subject and what level subjects u studying.

Just want to get some ideas for my revision timetable.
Original post by Chammomd
How many hours a week do u study per subject and what level subjects u studying.

Just want to get some ideas for my revision timetable.

My subject teachers say for every hour you are in my lesson you should do another hour outside the lesson. So about 5 hours a week per subject and 15 hours of study altogether per week.

I do Chemistry, Physics and Psychology.
Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
My subject teachers say for every hour you are in my lesson you should do another hour outside the lesson. So about 5 hours a week per subject and 15 hours of study altogether per week.

I do Chemistry, Physics and Psychology.

What level do U do.
What level do U do.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. A-Levels.
Reply 4
Original post by 5hyl33n
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. A-Levels.

How many hours should I do per gcse subject and do u use revision timetable
hiya!
my answer may not be the one you’re hunting for, or maybe it is, who knows...

before we begin, let’s go background info. i am a year 10, studying for gcse. background info = done. righto. so i don’t use a revision timetable. but i do revise. sometimes. i don’t like the lack of freedom that comes with having a revision timetable, i like to do things as and when i want in the day, and that can vary on a day to day basis, so for me, a revision timetable just doesn’t cut it. i make to-do lists. firstly i’ll make one for the week, and see what i have to get done first and then additional stuff i could do comes after. then i’ll section and assign bits and pieces for each day. this means i don’t have the same thing every day each week, it gives it some variation. and even then, rather than writing down the subject e.g. geography, i’ll split and write exactly what i’m going to do e.g. tectonic hazards. so everything is nice and small and manageable.

this may not be what you were hunting for, but it’s something. hope it helps 😊
How many hours should I do per gcse subject and do u use revision timetable

I suggest maybe do an hour or so but break it into smaller blocks
Reply 7
Original post by josie71202
I suggest maybe do an hour or so but break it into smaller blocks

What each day or weekly
What each day or weekly

weekly of each subject
Reply 9
weekly of each subject

So one hour a week per subject. Is that really enough
So one hour a week per subject. Is that really enough

it depends how effective it is and how quickly you burn out. There isn't one answer
Reply 11
it depends how effective it is and how quickly you burn out. There isn't one answer

Do u use a revision timetable if so can I see it please
Do u use a revision timetable if so can I see it please

I use a calendar so I'm less restricted by time
Reply 13
I do three subjects and give about 10 hours revision per subject per week. So 30 hours
I’ve just finished year 11 and personally I didn’t use a revision timetable but instead I structured my revision with a to do list for each week, I colour coded the tasks (red was most difficult,green was easiest) so I didn’t just do the easy tasks. In terms of the amount per subject I didn’t revise more than an hour per week per subject until February when I was revising for mocks and then I revised 2 hours per subject per week. You don’t want to do too much because you will burn out which will actually make you less productive :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Emily~3695
I’ve just finished year 11 and personally I didn’t use a revision timetable but instead I structured my revision with a to do list for each week, I colour coded the tasks (red was most difficult,green was easiest) so I didn’t just do the easy tasks. In terms of the amount per subject I didn’t revise more than an hour per week per subject until February when I was revising for mocks and then I revised 2 hours per subject per week. You don’t want to do too much because you will burn out which will actually make you less productive :smile:

Do u have an example
Do u have an example

Sure, so each week I would make a to do list like this:
Go over chem flashcards (electrolysis) green
Physics practice questions (electricity) yellow
Make end of chapter biology mindmap (evolution) red

History essay (Cold War) red
Hegarty maths (circle theorems) green
Go through french speaking flashcards yellow
French vocab (quizlet) green
Make 3 character mindmaps for lit (AIC) red
Go over lit flashcards (poetry) green
English language q4. Practice yellow

This is just a very rough example, some weeks I would probably do more and some weeks I would do less. The colour coding corresponds to how long it would take me/ how difficult I would find it. This ensures that you don’t just do the green tasks which are probably less beneficial to ur revision. I would make sure to do at least one red or yellow task before doing a green task to make sure I didn’t just do the easy ones :smile:
Hope this makes sense 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest