The Student Room Group

What's even the point of 2020 A-level Autumn Exams?

I seriously don't understand the point anymore. You might as well just take the summer 2021 exams seeing as the autumn 2020 exams give you the exam results after around December which is wayyy past the 2021 entry deadline and wayyyyy past the start of the academic year.

This means the autumn grades are potentially (or absolutely) pointless when applying for normal 2021 entry or using it to start uni in 2020. Clearing is available for both 2020 Autumn and 2021 Summer exams but both clearing are for 2021 entry. So what's the point? And is there a particular reason why some people would want to do it anyway? (Other than just doing it so they can get it out of the way)
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not everyone is going to be happy with their results and want to wait a whole year to do them. Also pretty sure the deadline for non medicine and veterinary is 15th of Jan.
I heard somewhere taking them in Summer 2021 means it is counted as a retake (even though it is our first attempt) Because we get 12 extra months to revise competing against current Year 12s. Doing them in Autumn may mean our current offers are upheld until then. Anyway, I’m not taking them in Autumn anyway, it would mean revising now, which I don’t want to stress over the summer without even knowing which subjects I have to take them in. There is still no clarity from Ofqual or universities about autumn exams, which is a shame.
I’m taking the autumn exams and going uni this year. Its a weird situation. I can’t take out another year. I was denied calculated grades as i am a private candidate.

Basically i should get an offer from my insurance choice as i got one last year. I will study there for 1 year and will try and transfer to my firm choice in 2021.

I will only take my maths a level in the autumn and the other two easier subjects in the summer next year.I guess in my situation, the autumn exams help me. I have less stress of studying 3 a levels at a time.

I have seen my uni timetable last year and I’m sure i can still study for my other subjects as i have most of the notes and active recall questions done.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Cloudiii
pretty sure the deadline for non medicine and veterinary is 15th of Jan.

wOAH LMAO I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT

Original post by etienne26
I heard somewhere taking them in Summer 2021 means it is counted as a retake (even though it is our first attempt) Because we get 12 extra months to revise competing against current Year 12s

I got told that your first-sitting refers to the first time you actually sat the exam :/ and it won't be a re-sit because you haven't sat the exam in the first place. Would be a tad bit annoying if that wasn't the case though

I researched and found this which probably shows my theory may be right:
Q: If students take an exam this autumn, which will
stand the exam or centre assessment grade?
A: Students who feel that their grades from the summer do not reflect their ability will
have the opportunity to take their exams in the autumn series or in summer 2021. If
they choose to do this, students will be able to use the higher of the two grades for
future progression.

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/890811/Summer_2020_grades_for_GCSE_AS_A_level_guidance_for_teachers_students_parents_09062020.pdf

Original post by Ajwad45676
I will only take my maths a level in the autumn and the other two easier subjects in the summer next year.I guess in my situation, the autumn exams help me.

Do you have any backup plans in the case that the autumn exams are cancelled?
(edited 3 years ago)
If the autumn exams are cancelled (which I doubt), i will simply stay at my insurance choice. That’s my plan. I just wanted to sit my a level maths exam because it’ll help me out if i want to do tutoring.

If I really want to go to my firm choice, i will have to do two a levels next year. But for now, i should be fine as my insurance choice should accept me this year.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
i hope medicine unis get the autumn grade results on the applications
Reply 7
Original post by leahnj
i hope medicine unis get the autumn grade results on the applications

they get whichever was higher - exam or calculated
I don't think they will help most people considering they won't have had a teacher for around 7 months. Lots of people will struggle to work properly for these exams.
Reply 9
Yeah i think for the average person they’re pretty pointless, and like others have said especially when we’ve got basically no information about them.

I feel like most people in y13 mostly just care about getting into uni so as much as i would be very annoyed if i got lower grades than expected and had to go to my insurance rather than firm etc i wouldn’t be annoyed enough postpone uni for a whole year. And like you say if i was going to do that i would postpone until summer 2021 because i cannot imagine that i’d do well in autumn resits after only a couple months of revision. So yeah i feel like if people can get into uni then a lot of people won’t be arsed resitting even if they think they deserve better.
Hi, Is there such a flexibility giving one exam in Autumn and the rest two in summer 2021? Can you point me to the government guidelines about it? I supposed to get A*AA and I was awarded BBC, so I'd missed my offer to Medicine.If I get A level in one subject in Autumn and two 'A's in two other subjects in Summer 2021, is that valid? Or Do I need to sit for all three subjects at same time?
Reply 11
Original post by Suresh32
Hi, Is there such a flexibility giving one exam in Autumn and the rest two in summer 2021? Can you point me to the government guidelines about it? I supposed to get A*AA and I was awarded BBC, so I'd missed my offer to Medicine.If I get A level in one subject in Autumn and two 'A's in two other subjects in Summer 2021, is that valid? Or Do I need to sit for all three subjects at same time?

Yes, you can do that but please be aware that some unis may classify the exams you take this autumn as first-sittings and exams next summer as retakes.

Make sure you ask the unis, most of them will probably tell you that you have to take all the exams you wish to take in one exam series and they will either classify it as first-sittings or retakes. Don't rely on Ofqual's documents as they have stated that the admission system for each university is unique to that institution as they set their own criteria for admissions.
at this point yes it's primarily for people who just want to get out of the way. There's a huge difference between sitting an exam in October and pretty much taking a whole academic year for resits. They'll also get confirmed places in December or so rather than having to wait until August. (of course people applying after results would just get unconditionals)

It was pretty much never going to be feasible for 2020 entry anyway.
Original post by libbyab
they get whichever was higher - exam or calculated

Not sure this is true. I think they will get the last awarded grade, but would be good to clarify from Ofqual
Original post by macbook4
Not sure this is true. I think they will get the last awarded grade, but would be good to clarify from Ofqual

Your grades don't ever get overwritten with a resit with linear qualifications. If you sit an A-level and get a B, sit it again and get a C, you have a B in one A-level in that subject and a C in another A-level in that subject. For the purposes of a university application you would still meet offers asking for a B since that B hasn't gone anywhere. Since you can request certificates just with the "resit" result this session the rules on declaring them may be a bit different, not sure, but usually you would give both on any university application or such like. (but could be omitted say on a CV)
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi
I am taking the autumn exams as well as going uni this year to do biomed, my alevel results right now aren't great enough for med so what grades do I put on my ucas application for next year entry as autumn exam results come out in December.
Original post by arydodger
Hi
I am taking the autumn exams as well as going uni this year to do biomed, my alevel results right now aren't great enough for med so what grades do I put on my ucas application for next year entry as autumn exam results come out in December.

The rules on declaring grades have not changed (as far as I'm aware)

You should put down the grades you got in the summer as achieved.

You should put down the subjects you are looking to resit in the autumn as pending, just as you would have done if you applied last cycle.

Your unis will receive your exam results when they are released. Provided your grades are good enough any existing offers would be changed to unconditional and any subsequent offers would be unconditional.
Hey do you think the autumn exams will cover all of the content especially for biology and chemistry, because a lot of the schools haven't completed the full course, or is it going to be the full exam covering all the content with lower grade boundaries?
Original post by arydodger
Hey do you think the autumn exams will cover all of the content especially for biology and chemistry, because a lot of the schools haven't completed the full course, or is it going to be the full exam covering all the content with lower grade boundaries?

All of the content I think. People have had since March (6 months so far) to finish of the last bits of the syllabus @Compost can you confirm this please?
Original post by 1st superstar
All of the content I think. People have had since March (6 months so far) to finish of the last bits of the syllabus @Compost can you confirm this please?

As far as I am aware the papers will cover the whole specification.

Quick Reply

Latest