The Student Room Group

Can I learn all of history edexcel GCSE content in Year 11

For my GCSE I'm doing Triple Science, German, Music and Geography along with the other mandatory subject like Maths, Eng and RS. I'm out to start year 11 in September and I was wondering if I could also do a History GCSE maybe instead or along with Geography. Is there a lot of content or will I be able to learn it all by next summer. Im planning to study all the previous content in the summer holidays and enroll into history lessons this term
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Athenianowl
For my GCSE I'm doing Triple Science, German, Music and Geography along with the other mandatory subject like Maths, Eng and RSI'm about to start year 11 in September and I was wondering if I could also do a History GCSE maybe instead or along with Geography. Is there a lot of content or will I be able to learn it all by next summer. In planning to study all the previous content in the summer holidays.

I found history pretty easy tbh and would say that it isn't impossible to learn it in 1 year. But you need to make sure that you know how to answer the exam questions because knowledge alone won't get you the top grades.

Hope that helps
i did History GCSE and i had 3 years worth of content the topics you do are very beefy i’d did: Cold war, Henry VIII, Crime and Punishment, Germany - there’s 3 papers total (i think) so having under a year to revise for history would be hard however talk to some friends or people in your year that do history gcse it may be different/changed from when i was in year 11 or your school
Reply 3
Original post by impoor123
i did History GCSE and i had 3 years worth of content the topics you do are very beefy i’d did: Cold war, Henry VIII, Crime and Punishment, Germany - there’s 3 papers total (i think) so having under a year to revise for history would be hard however talk to some friends or people in your year that do history gcse it may be different/changed from when i was in year 11 or your schoolY

Yh 3 papers. I did Cold War, Elizabethan era, Russia and Crime and Punishment
For my GCSE I'm doing Triple Science, German, Music and Geography along with the other mandatory subject like Maths, Eng and RS. I'm out to start year 11 in September and I was wondering if I could also do a History GCSE maybe instead or along with Geography. Is there a lot of content or will I be able to learn it all by next summer. In planning to study all the previous content in the summer holidays and enroll into history lessons this term

I think it'll be diffficult but doable, especially considering they are looking at reducing the content for history to only 3 units i think. Honestly, if you were prepared to put in the work (and start now) it should be okay. One of the most important parts of history is the exam technique though. Also, you'll need to make sure your school will even allow it.
Original post by Wal123
I found history pretty easy tbh and would say that it isn't impossible to learn it in 1 year. But you need to make sure that you know how to answer the exam questions because knowledge alone won't get you the top grades.

Hope that helps

i did History GCSE and i had 3 years worth of content the topics you do are very beefy i’d did: Cold war, Henry VIII, Crime and Punishment, Germany - there’s 3 papers total (i think) so having under a year to revise for history would be hard however talk to some friends or people in your year that do history gcse it may be different/changed from when i was in year 11 or your school

My school is doing those exact topics. Do you think it would be better to drop Music in order to reduce my workload?
Original post by Wal123

Hope that helps

Thanks I'm definitely going to get familiar with the writing frame
Original post by _Mia101
I think it'll be diffficult but doable, especially considering they are looking at reducing the content for history to only 3 units i think. Honestly, if you were prepared to put in the work (and start now) it should be okay. One of the most important parts of history is the exam technique though. Also, you'll need to make sure your school will even allow it.

My school is prepared to let me do a mock and if I do well they will let me do History. Do you have any resources or websites I could use to start learning?
My school is doing those exact topics. Do you think it would be better to drop Music in order to reduce my workload?

again i did music also and although i hated it the content was smaller than history and other humanities. if you don’t want to take music to sixth form or college yes drop it. if you want to take history in college definitely take history gcse if not geography is still a good humanities subject for psychology a level or sociology a level.
again i did music also and although i hated it the content was smaller than history and other humanities. if you don’t want to take music to sixth form or college yes drop it. if you want to take history in college definitely take history gcse if not geography is still a good humanities subject for psychology a level or sociology a level.

Thanks im definitely not taking Music in sixth form, but I'm planning to take history, English, psychology and philosophy
For my GCSE I'm doing Triple Science, German, Music and Geography along with the other mandatory subject like Maths, Eng and RS. I'm out to start year 11 in September and I was wondering if I could also do a History GCSE maybe instead or along with Geography. Is there a lot of content or will I be able to learn it all by next summer. Im planning to study all the previous content in the summer holidays and enroll into history lessons this term

In my opinion this would be too difficult. Out of all of them, history was the subject I found hardest to revise due to the content. Exam questions can follow a fixed structure though which makes them particularly easy.

Quick Reply

Latest