The Student Room Group

Should I take up an extra GCSE ( history) in year 11?

Im about to start year 11 in September. I really want to learn history but I'm not sure if I'll be able to catch up and learn the exam writing style by the summer even though I'm planning to study the whole of summer
No. There's sooo much content in History GCSE and it's not worth it because one extra GCSE won't mean anything. If you want to study History at A Level you don't even need the subject at GCSE so it's fine.
Original post by chloenix
No. There's sooo much content in History GCSE and it's not worth it because one extra GCSE won't mean anything. If you want to study History at A Level you don't even need the subject at GCSE so it's fine.

I really want to do History at A levels but my family is planning to move to a different country when my GCSEs are over so I'm not sure if I'll even be able to do any A levels.
Thanks anyway, now I can spend the rest of the summer maybe trying to revise my other subjects :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Athenianowl
I really want to do History at A levels but my family is planning to move to a different country when my GCSEs are over so I'm not sure if I'll even be able to do any A levels.
Thanks anyway, now I can spend the rest of the summer maybe trying to revise my other subjects :smile:

Oh that's such a shame but surely you'll be able to study history in the new country?
And yes good idea haha. I mean obviously you can do what you want but I honestly think it will take so much time (you will have to spend the entire summer and more catching up and then learning new Year 11 content). History is one of the most content heavy subjects at GCSE and you also need more than textbooks to learn it :smile:
Original post by Athenianowl
Im about to start year 11 in September. I really want to learn history but I'm not sure if I'll be able to catch up and learn the exam writing style by the summer even though I'm planning to study the whole of summer

No - focus on your others.
In my opinion, I think you shouldn't as you should focus on your other gcses. You can learn history without taking a gcse. I recommend JSTOR's newsletter
You don't need to do it at GCSE to explore it! If you're interested in topics they cover at GCSE, you can always find more info on them online, but you can do that for any History topic. At GCSE you're restricted to certain topics and learning them for an exam, but if you research them on your own you have the advantage of being able to look at what you're interested without stressing on remembering it all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending