The Student Room Group

Choosing a Cambridge College

Hello,
In October, I will hopefully be applying to study Medicine at Cambridge University. The way the course is taught, the teaching methods, and the life at Cambridge just really interests me.

Specifically for Medicine (or non-specific), how would I go about researching which college is for me?

If I get an offer from Cambridge but got rejected from the actual college, am I able to go to another one? How do these things work?

Thank you,
Ryan :smile:
Original post by ryanalevel
Hello,
In October, I will hopefully be applying to study Medicine at Cambridge University. The way the course is taught, the teaching methods, and the life at Cambridge just really interests me.

Specifically for Medicine (or non-specific), how would I go about researching which college is for me?

If I get an offer from Cambridge but got rejected from the actual college, am I able to go to another one? How do these things work?

Thank you,
Ryan :smile:

Have a look through the university of cambridge forums, where this question has been asked and answer a hundred times already :smile: (I understand you're a new user, which is why I'm directing you there).

Briefly, the college choice doesn't really matter that much, so don't stress it - just pick one you like the look of. Alternatively, you can make an 'open' application where you make no initial college choice.

If the college you're interviewed at thinks you should be offered a place, but can't (or aren't willing) to offer you a place at their college, you will be 'pooled' - you can then be 'fished' out of this pool by another college and offered a place, or turned down once the fishing is complete. Again, have a look through the Cambridge forums to find out the info.
So basically if they deem you good enough for Cambridge, but they've already filled their spots at their colleges, you get "pooled" where any other college can fill up spots from that pool.

When I chose a college (at Oxford) I just picked one that seemed nice on the open day. I didn't get in there, but I got into my secondary college (which I now realise is much nicer than the one I applied to.) You want to decide what is important to you (accommodation, social life, ect) and ask college reps. You can find those on JCR websites and things.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Have a look through the university of cambridge forums, where this question has been asked and answer a hundred times already :smile: (I understand you're a new user, which is why I'm directing you there).

Briefly, the college choice doesn't really matter that much, so don't stress it - just pick one you like the look of. Alternatively, you can make an 'open' application where you make no initial college choice.

If the college you're interviewed at thinks you should be offered a place, but can't (or aren't willing) to offer you a place at their college, you will be 'pooled' - you can then be 'fished' out of this pool by another college and offered a place, or turned down once the fishing is complete. Again, have a look through the Cambridge forums to find out the info.

OK, lovely. Thank you for explaining it to me so clearly :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by vicvic38
So basically if they deem you good enough for Cambridge, but they've already filled their spots at their colleges, you get "pooled" where any other college can fill up spots from that pool.

When I chose a college (at Oxford) I just picked one that seemed nice on the open day. I didn't get in there, but I got into my secondary college (which I now realise is much nicer than the one I applied to.) You want to decide what is important to you (accommodation, social life, ect) and ask college reps. You can find those on JCR websites and things.

Fab! I'm glad you prefer your secondary college. Very well explained and I've got a better understanding of being "pooled" now. So thank you very much! :smile:
OK, lovely. Thank you for explaining it to me so clearly :smile:

You're welcome :smile:
Hey, I’m also thinking of which college to choose :smile: Which ones are you thinking of at the moment?
Also, I believe each colleges are (or were) doing virtual open days so it’s really worth checking their individual websites
Original post by livelyrao
Also, I believe each colleges are (or were) doing virtual open days so it’s really worth checking their individual websites

@ryanalevel Note that Peterhouse, Medwards and Christ's are doing a joint virtual open day here Well worth having a look at :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by livelyrao
Hey, I’m also thinking of which college to choose :smile: Which ones are you thinking of at the moment?

So far: Magdalene, Homerton, Jesus', and Fitzwilliam. I'm keeping my options open though.

I just need to make a competitive application first :biggrin: But I'm trying to look at the colleges that accept the most applicants per year. I think Homerton is only about 6 while others accept like 9 or 11 for my course. As I said though, I am definitely going to do more research and keep my options open!

Just to study at Cambridge would be a privilege in itself :smile:
@ryanalevel Note that Peterhouse, Medwards and Christ's are doing a joint virtual open day here Well worth having a look at :smile:

Thank you again! :biggrin:
Thank you again! :biggrin:

No problem!
But I'm trying to look at the colleges that accept the most applicants per year.

Just to note that both successful applicants and ATs warn candidates off doing this year after year. Trying to play a 'numbers game' at Cambridge is entirely futile. Don't apply to a college on the basis of their admissions' statistics; apply to one based on the fact that you like the look of it, and can see yourself having it has your base for 6+ years. :smile:
No problem!

Just to note that both successful applicants and ATs warn candidates off doing this year after year. Trying to play a 'numbers game' at Cambridge is entirely futile. Don't apply to a college on the basis of their admissions' statistics; apply to one based on the fact that you like the look of it, and can see yourself having it has your base for 6+ years. :smile:

Equally, if OP would like to apply to a College which has a larger intake because they want to be around to be around more Medicine students, that's fine :smile: But to reiterate, there's little to be gained by choosing a College based on their application : offer ratio

Thank you so much! :smile:
So far: Magdalene, Homerton, Jesus', and Fitzwilliam. I'm keeping my options open though.

I just need to make a competitive application first :biggrin: But I'm trying to look at the colleges that accept the most applicants per year. I think Homerton is only about 6 while others accept like 9 or 11 for my course. As I said though, I am definitely going to do more research and keep my options open!

Just to study at Cambridge would be a privilege in itself :smile:

I'm sure you will make a competitive application because you being here and asking questions shows that you are willing to try your best :smile: TSR is a great place to get help from amazing individuals like @Reality Check and Cambridge's colleges.

Personally, I find the virtual open days really helpful. The colleges' websites are useful as well, but attending these webinars and hearing from the college academics really offers an insight into the colleges. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sophhhowa
Hopefully the story highlight on choosing a cam college here will help: https://www.instagram.com/science.with.soph/

If you narrowly miss your college they will put you in the pool which means a different college may give you an offer instead

Thank you so much! I watched your recent yt video and it was really helpful! I really appreciate your help :smile:
But I'm trying to look at the colleges that accept the most applicants per year.

This is really silly unless your reason for doing it is that you want to be part of a large intake for your subject - look up how the Winter Pool works, there's virtually no point in trying to game the application stats in this way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending