The Student Room Group

Blemish in academic attainment for investment banking

I know threads like these are usefully useless since nobody can say if you will or wont get an IB job, but im asking if im a competitive candidate and have a different issue than most. my academic profile is as follows:

GCSE - BBBCCCD
A-level - A*A*A

Currently looking at universities such as Bristol, Nottingham and Durham. Cambridge also which i will explain.

i had extenuating circumstances during GCSEs nothing serious but i was given anti depressants and diagnosed with anxiety. because of this i had extremely low attendance (below 50%) from years 9-11 hence my poor grades. i got a C in maths at GCSE and all my A-level subjects are essay based and im planning to get do an LLB (law degree). do i stand a chance at securing an investment banking job or while i be significantly disadvantaged since i haven't been able to demonstrate any competence in maths
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by lilguy100
I know threads like these are usefully useless since nobody can say if you will or wont get an IB job, but im asking if im a competitive candidate and have a different issue than most. my academic profile is as follows:

GCSE - BBBCCCD
A-level - A*A*A

Currently looking at universities such as Bristol, Nottingham and Durham. Cambridge also which i will explain.

i had extenuating circumstances during GCSEs nothing serious but i was given anti depressants and diagnosed with anxiety. because of this i had extremely low attendance (below 50%) from years 9-11 hence my poor grades. i got a C in maths at GCSE and all my A-level subjects are essay based and im planning to get do an LLB (law degree). do i stand a chance at securing an investment banking job or while i be significantly disadvantaged since i haven't been able to demonstrate any competence in maths

do i stand a chance at securing an investment banking job -> Yes. Just don't display your GCSEs.
Reply 2
Original post by Buttmuffin
do i stand a chance at securing an investment banking job -> Yes. Just don't display your GCSEs.

you think investment banking jobs that pay £200k a year including bonuses wont ask questions when there is no mention of my GCSEs?

GCSE - BBBCCCD
A-level - A*A*A

The GCSEs are poor, but you know that. Are the A levels achieved or predicted? And if 'predicted', by whom? You, or your teachers?
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
The GCSEs are poor, but you know that. Are the A levels achieved or predicted? And if 'predicted', by whom? You, or your teachers?

Predicted by teachers, however this is through my constant attainment in mock exams so i do think they are reliable (at least as far as predictions go haha). my doctor has given a reference to explain my GCSEs and ill be applying to Cambridge and other high ranking target universities.

My main concern is that with the extreme competition, firms could disregard my application simply because there is so many applicants who dont have poor GCSEs. also, since my A-levels and degree are all essay based, i have not demonstrated any competence in maths.
(edited 3 years ago)
so long as you meet the minimum requirement threshold, you should be okay for screening.

I think there's a UCAS requirement equivalent to AAB or ABB for most banks, which you seem to pass. On the numerical side, their are psychometric tests that you may need to pass so worth brushing up on your basic maths skills.
Reply 6
Original post by gr8wizard10
so long as you meet the minimum requirement threshold, you should be okay for screening.

I think there's a UCAS requirement equivalent to AAB or ABB for most banks, which you seem to pass. On the numerical side, their are psychometric tests that you may need to pass so worth brushing up on your basic maths skills.

Ah okay thank you, thats good to hear. do you think i will be particularly disadvantaged? and is it worth explaining my extenuating circumstances which caused such poor GCSEs?

GCSE - BBBCCCD
A-level - A*A*A

Hi, there's no denying that the GCSEs aren't the best but I can assure you that there is a path to success.

1. The first of which is writing extenuating circumstance next to your gcses grades in brackets - also what are the A-levels in??
2. I cant stress that step 1 will only be mildly effective if you do achieve those predicted grades or at least near it. Your weaker performance at GCSE and then your fantastic (hopefully) rebound at a-level will demonstrate grit, resilience and all the other skills banks like to look for early in the recruitment process.
3. Again if you achieve those predicted grades, your story will also be great for video interviews, face to face interviews and so forth as an example of your overcoming a problem

4. Finally I say this to all applicants but accept that rejection is part of the process, candidates with both great gcese's, great a-levels from top universities get rejected and so keep at it. Attend insight days, build relationships with people, apply to spring weeks in first year (AFTER you've attended an insight day) an application like yours will be strengthened if you can name drop someone you've met

If you dont land anything in the first year of universities - A 1:1 at first year paired with great a-levels will cancel out the poor gcese's but again a
lot of ifs, just dont give up. I can really go on but let me know I do have more advice on application strategy, like programs that may be easier to get in to and so forth, because once you have experience , that will also make things easier
you think investment banking jobs that pay £200k a year including bonuses wont ask questions when there is no mention of my GCSEs?

Yes.

Most IBs don't ask for GCSEs.

Also, don't display it on your CV - just write it in the app form, if required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending