The Student Room Group

Work Experience for a Politics/International Relations Degree

Hey everyone,

I am currently thinking of trying some work experience as I am now in year 11. I am interested in studying Politics and International Relations or a related social science degree at university and I want to start building upon my CV and demonstrating my interests.

So, I have currently been involved in "Model United Nations", which is basically an extra which allows you to have mock United Nations meetings and it gives you the opportunity to learn about foreign policies and how the legislative govt, as well as Senate, works. (Although I go to school in England, we follow and American style MUN)

Further to this, I am not sure whether it would be more beneficial to go to a summer school and widen my supercurricular scope OR try some work experience at a law firm - this might not be directly related, though. I was wondering if there was any directly related work experience to a politics degree which anyone knew might help for a pre-uni/GCSE/A-Level student ?

Thank you for your help in advance!!
Are you a state school student? You can ask your school or friends if they have any connections for work experience. For law, I know some schemes for state school ones if you eligible for that and virtualshepra has some virtual ones. (Idk any for politics or international relations since I want to do law).
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
Are you a state school student? You can ask your school or friends if they have any connections for work experience. For law, I know some schemes for state school ones if you eligible for that and virtualshepra has some virtual ones. (Idk any for politics or international relations since I want to do law).

hey... not exactly.... I go to a public boarding school actually! but, many people in my family studied law and work in law firms so I think I can try work experience with them - do you think that law work experience might help with politics because they both have similar building blocks, (somehow)
Original post by lilz0403
hey... not exactly.... I go to a public boarding school actually! but, many people in my family studied law and work in law firms so I think I can try work experience with them - do you think that law work experience might help with politics because they both have similar building blocks, (somehow)

Oh I see. It would be much better trying that connection than finding schemes for it then. In what type of context: helping for a politics degree or something else?
Reply 4
Original post by PetitePanda
Oh I see. It would be much better trying that connection than finding schemes for it then. In what type of context: helping for a politics degree or something else?

I am interested in working in the United Nations or as a Diplomat when I am older:smile:
I am interested in working in the United Nations or as a Diplomat when I am older:smile:

Doing something working with people or politics would probably be better than a law firm work experience but a law firm work experience will see be useful. It’s always good to have a range of options you can try to get some in because it’s very hard to get work experience in politics and law so the more the better
Hey everyone,

I am currently thinking of trying some work experience as I am now in year 11. I am interested in studying Politics and International Relations or a related social science degree at university and I want to start building upon my CV and demonstrating my interests.

So, I have currently been involved in "Model United Nations", which is basically an extra which allows you to have mock United Nations meetings and it gives you the opportunity to learn about foreign policies and how the legislative govt, as well as Senate, works. (Although I go to school in England, we follow and American style MUN)

Further to this, I am not sure whether it would be more beneficial to go to a summer school and widen my supercurricular scope OR try some work experience at a law firm - this might not be directly related, though. I was wondering if there was any directly related work experience to a politics degree which anyone knew might help for a pre-uni/GCSE/A-Level student ?

Thank you for your help in advance!!

You could always try to work for your local MP or get involved with a party that you most affiliate with . There are also work experience in the house of commons and lords. You could also try to see if there work experiences related stuff to the UN. Politics isn't a subject that you really need to do work experience but it would be good to read books about certain political philosophies ; in order to show you have a passion about that subject. You could try and see if there are work experiences for the law of Human rights so that can tie in with the UN.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending