The Student Room Group

I have 69.3% overall mark. Ideas..?

Hey guys, just trying to share some thoughts here and see what I can do as well as others who are in a similar position.

At the moment I have a 69.3% overall with the no detriment policy in place which only removes 1 of my modules from the second semester.

My grades for this current year are:

First semester: 54 (total fail), 61, 75
Second semester (where no detriment policy applies): 62 (removed), 78,72, 80+80 (dissertation, bc it is worth 30 credits)
This year average: 72.5

City University has a 0.5% policy, which at this point I obviously do not qualify for. However, as little as 2 extra points on my disso 80 --> 82 (weighted as x2 = 4 points in reality) would qualify me for a first-class degree rising my average to 69.6.

However, that is unlikely and neither do they have a borderline policy. Is there anything to be done at all?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I find it depressing that there's so many students trying to spuriously appeal grades
Original post by jimmy097
Hey guys, just trying to share some thoughts here and see what I can do as well as others who are in a similar position.

At the moment I have a 69.3% overall with the no detriment policy in place which only removes 1 of my modules from the second semester.

Second semester (where no detriment policy applies): 62 (removed), 78,72, 80+80 (dissertation, bc it is worth 30 credits)

City University has a 0.5% policy, which at this point I obviously do not qualify for. However, as little as 2 extra points on my disso 80 --> 82 (weighted as x2 = 4 points in reality) would qualify me for a first-class degree rising my average to 69.6.

Any ideas, thoughts as what should I do? Today I got the disso which was the last mark I was waiting for. I find it depressing that if successful, an appeal to my disso mark to grant me two extra points would completely change how my degree would look like. Please HELP!

On what grounds are you going to appeal? Your mark is fine. Just be happy.
They aren't going to remark your disso for no reason other than your hope it'll improve and get a first class degree. A disso is usually second marked too, so it's highly unlikely to change.
Do they have a borderline policy too? Some universities will allow you to get the higher grade if you have >67/68% and your median grade or final year grade is a first
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
I find it depressing that there's so many students trying to spuriously appeal gr

Nothing to do with an ungenuine desire to contest my mark. I only feel that the overall marks achieved so far do not do justice to a possible borderline case, where my faculty do not recognise it as so. I am not at all implying that my markers judgement should be contested, nor do I pretend that I should be awarded a first-class degree. However, it is merely standing up for oneself, knowing that perhaps this means more than something on a paper. It is an acknowledgement for yourself more than something that gets you a job. Different people have different reasons. I find it depressing you find it so easy to assume.
Original post by gjd800
I find it depressing that there's so many students trying to spuriously appeal grades

PRSOM.
(seems to be the go to nowadays, I didnt get 70 so i'll appeal).

However, that is unlikely and neither do they have a borderline policy. Is there anything to be done at all?

What does the 0.5% policy mean?
Reply 8
Original post by JokesOnYoo
What does the 0.5% policy mean?

That if you would receive let's say 59.5 would be rounded up to 60, granting you a 2:1 classification rather than a 2:2.
Original post by gjd800

PRSOM. I've never seen so many threads of students who are just trying it on, using Covid-19 as some sort of 'reason' why they should get extra marks for no reason.

It's going to lead to this year's cohort's results in general being disregarded as 'probably inflated' as far as I am concerned.
However, it is merely standing up for oneself, knowing that perhaps this means more than something on a paper. It is an acknowledgement for yourself more than something that gets you a job. Different people have different reasons. I find it depressing you find it so easy to assume.

What in earth does all that mean?!

You don't deserve a first-class degree because you weren't academically capable of achieving one. Some of your marks for early this semester are terrible. You've been lucky to have the poor marks 'disregarded' and the better ones carried forwards. Despite this great fortune, you still aren't happy and are instead scraping around trying to get 'extra marks' from wherever in the hope that it might push you over the boundary.

It's unseemly and academically fraudulent.
Reply 11
Original post by Reality Check
What in earth does all that mean?!

You don't deserve a first-class degree because you weren't academically capable of achieving one. Some of your marks for early this semester are terrible. You've been lucky to have the poor marks 'disregarded' and the better ones carried forwards. Despite this great fortune, you still aren't happy and are instead scraping around trying to get 'extra marks' from wherever in the hope that it might push you over the boundary.

It's unseemly and academically fraudulent.

The practice of remarking academic work when close to the next classification is commonplace at GCSE and A Level. What makes this so unseemly and academically fraudulent?
Reply 12
Original post by mnot
PRSOM.
(seems to be the go to nowadays, I didnt get 70 so i'll appeal).

PRSOM. I've never seen so many threads of students who are just trying it on, using Covid-19 as some sort of 'reason' why they should get extra marks for no reason.

It's going to lead to this year's cohort's results in general being disregarded as 'probably inflated' as far as I am concerned.

Yup

Coincides with the 'I'm a customer' mentality
Reply 13
Nothing to do with an ungenuine desire to contest my mark. I only feel that the overall marks achieved so far do not do justice to a possible borderline case, where my faculty do not recognise it as so. I am not at all implying that my markers judgement should be contested, nor do I pretend that I should be awarded a first-class degree. However, it is merely standing up for oneself, knowing that perhaps this means more than something on a paper. It is an acknowledgement for yourself more than something that gets you a job. Different people have different reasons. I find it depressing you find it so easy to assume.

Waffly nonsense
Accept your result with dignity and a good grace. If anyone asks your degree you can mention how close you were to a first, as you have evidence.
Original post by hajima
The practice of remarking academic work when close to the next classification is commonplace at GCSE and A Level. What makes this so unseemly and academically fraudulent?

Umm, what makes you think that unsubstantiated appeals of marking at GCSE or A level are OK?!

Commonplace acceptable.
Well, do you have reasons? Honestly your grade is good. Celebrate it and be happy with it.
Original post by gjd800
Yup

Coincides with the 'I'm a customer' mentality

...and the customer is always right.

Karen's not happy with her grade, and would like to speak to the manager.
Reply 18
Umm, what makes you think that it's OK at GCSE or A level?!

Commonplace acceptable.

Primarily because it gives people who feel like they deserve a higher mark the opportunity for a second opinion on their work.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hajima
Primarly because it gives people who feel like they deserve a higher mark the opportunity for a second opinion on their work.

This is going a bit off topic, but that's the point. Of course they 'feel like they deserve a higher mark'. Everyone feels like they 'deserve a higher mark'. That doesn't mean that objectively they do deserve a higher mark, or that going to the faff and expense of demanding a review of marking is justified.

Centres used to routinely send back all candidates within 5-10% of a grade boundary to 'try it on', basically. This has got nothing to do with a sincere belief that some of these papers were incorrectly marked and need reviewing: it was a fishing expedition to see if some 'extra marks' could be found somewhere, and with any luck, push a couple of candidates over a boundary.

Quick Reply

Latest