The Student Room Group

Should MSG be banned?

Monosodium Glutamate or MSG is a chemical flavour enhancer which is implicated in many health problems, high blood pressure, ADHD, obesity and in the long term Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s and possibly carcinogenic etc.

Good food does not need any MSG added! Think of a lovely portion of fish & chips? Or a freshly made pizza? Or food from a barbecue etc they taste delicious but they don’t contain any MSG!

So why do they have to add MSG to certain foods? There is no need for it. It seems to be used by poor chefs who can’t get their food to taste appetising so they put this chemical into it. The stuff behaves like a drug by creating sensations of pleasure in the brain whilst eating. This is not good.
We can see MSG is thought of a sinister substance when you buy foods with a welcoming star or tick saying “No MSG”
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes. It is linked to many chronic diseases. But money and convenience prevail
Reply 2
Original post by Ambitious1999
Monosodium Glutamate or MSG is a chemical flavour enhancer which is implicated in many health problems, high blood pressure, ADHD and in the long term Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s and possibly carcinogenic etc.
This is not good.

If you want to ban it, you need to prove the above.
I read the title as MGS

The gamer in me almost started crying :cry2:
By banning MSG, do you mean ALL MSG or ADDED MSG? MSG is naturally found in products such as tomatoes, grapes, cheese and mushrooms. How to you propose to remove this (if you mean ALL MSG) from these foods?
Original post by dorotheapenguin
By banning MSG, do you mean ALL MSG or ADDED MSG? MSG is naturally found in products such as tomatoes, grapes, cheese and mushrooms. How to you propose to remove this (if you mean ALL MSG) from these foods?

Just added MSG.
Just added MSG.

OK. That makes more sense.
No. Some people have an adverse reaction to MSG but otherwise it has not been credibly proven that it is unsafe.
No.
Is there any actual evidence that MSG has these effects, as in peer reviewed studies?
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
I read the title as MGS

The gamer in me almost started crying :cry2:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Spoiler

Original post by Nialler x
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Spoiler

Don't pity me :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Monosodium Glutamate or MSG is a chemical flavour enhancer which is implicated in many health problems, high blood pressure, ADHD, obesity and in the long term Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s and possibly carcinogenic etc.

Good food does not need any MSG added! Think of a lovely portion of fish & chips? Or a freshly made pizza? Or food from a barbecue etc they taste delicious but they don’t contain any MSG!

So why do they have to add MSG to certain foods? There is no need for it. It seems to be used by poor chefs who can’t get their food to taste appetising so they put this chemical into it. The stuff behaves like a drug by creating sensations of pleasure in the brain whilst eating. This is not good.
We can see MSG is thought of a sinister substance when you buy foods with a welcoming star or tick saying “No MSG”

There is no evidence that it does anything.
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
Don't pity me :unimpressed:

Spoiler

:cry:

Spoiler

Same category as autism causing vaccines.
Reply 15
Ban it, definitely not, as people deserve a choice on what they eat. At the same time I know it gives certain people, such as my mum, migraines, and so I think that the labelling should be compulsory, and in the case of the Chinese takeaways that add it, they should be required to ask if people want it added or not.
Monosodium Glutamate or MSG is...possibly carcinogenic etc.

Or food from a barbecue

Dude, do you know how bad barbecue food is for you in terms of being carcinogenic?
That is like saying sodium chloride should be banned :lol:
Original post by DiddyDec
That is like saying sodium chloride should be banned :lol:

I heard most of the water on earth is polluted with it!
Reply 19
Banning salt would be the nanny state gone mad.

Quick Reply

Latest