The Student Room Group

Splashing a Pedestrian

Today I was driving along the road when I accidentally splashed a pedestrian when going through a puddle. To be fair i couldn't drive pass the puddle as there were cars in the lane to my right and also the lady was walking very near the kerb. I didn't even really splash her that much but I'm a little worried because as I came to a stop at the next junction i saw the lady get her phone out and I'm paranoid she took a photo of my reg number to report me to the DVLA/police. Am I being paranoid or do I have reason to be worried for penalty points/a fine/disqualification?? I couldn't stop to apologise but I did put my hand up to try and catch her attention.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by Dinosaur27
Today I was driving along the road when I accidentally splashed a pedestrian when going through a puddle. To be fair i couldn't drive pass the puddle as there were cars in the lane to my right and also the lady was walking very near the kerb. I didn't even really splash her that much but I'm a little worried because as I came to a stop at the next junction i saw the lady get her phone out and I'm paranoid she took a photo of my reg number to report me to the DVLA/police. Am I being paranoid or do I have reason to be worried for penalty points/a fine/disqualification?? I couldn't stop to apologise but I did put my hand up to try and catch her attention.

This is a criminal offence, and a disgusting one at that. You probably ruined that person's day.

Did you not consider stopping?
Original post by IWMTom
This is a criminal offence, and a disgusting one at that. You probably ruined that person's day.

bit harsh
Reply 4
Original post by rxyaltyx
bit harsh

Would you appreciate being soaked by a careless driver and them not stop to see if you're okay?

It's not harsh - it's blunt and honest. Anyone who soaks someone whilst driving shouldn't be driving at all.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom

Believe it or not, I didn't do it on purpose. It's not something I do for fun driving round soaking everyone. You're disgusting if you think that.
unfortunately I couldn't stop as the road was busy and the car behind me would have crashed into me. If I could apologise to the lady properly I would, but then she was the one walking so close to the kerb when the pavement was massive.

This is an offence, but it happens..I’ve been splashed by a driver before and you just have to deal with it. It’s an accident do not worry, it was not intentional
What’s she going to do with a picture of your number plates? It’s just rainwater and there’s probably no proof of you doing it, never mind doing it on purpose.
Reply 8
Believe it or not, I didn't do it on purpose. It's not something I do for fun driving round soaking everyone. You're disgusting if you think that.
unfortunately I couldn't stop as the road was busy and the car behind me would have crashed into me. If I could apologise to the lady properly I would, but then she was the one walking so close to the kerb when the pavement was massive.

What a load of horseshit. You could have easily slowed and pulled over to check on the poor person you drenched.

I sincerely hope they report you to the Police.

You must watch where you are going.
Original post by IWMTom
What a load of horseshit. You could have easily slowed and pulled over to check on the poor person you drenched.

It was just a bit of water hun
Reply 10
Original post by 1joeylee

Perhaps you would like to walk to work soaking wet? I can arrange a tub of water to be poured on you?
Original post by IWMTom
Perhaps you would like to walk to work soaking wet? I can arrange a tub of water to be poured on you?

As the driver said it was an accident. He didn’t plan to drive through a puddle and splash a pedestrian, you need to chill
Original post by IWMTom

And I literally walk next to the main road to school everyday, and there’s always *****y rain weather in the UK, so it’s not necessarily always the drivers fault
Reply 13
As the driver said it was an accident. He didn’t plan to drive through a puddle and splash a pedestrian, you need to chill

Okay, and the reason for not stopping? Are we devolving to apes or something?
Original post by IWMTom
Okay, and the reason for not stopping? Are we devolving to apes or something?

He literally said the reason for not stopping was because the car behind him wouldve crashed into him

Splashing a pedestrian is a criminal offence. Why are you justifying an offence? As a driver, you should know this. It doesn't matter if it was an accident. If OP ran through a red light despite it being an offence to do so, would you say the same? Oh it was just an accident?

I live in a place where it rains constantly, and I've been splashed so many times on my way to work or somewhere and my clothes have been ruined. Drivers should really WATCH where they're driving and if there is a puddle, give the pedestrian a chance to move away or proceed with caution.
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom

It was an accident. I didn't think to myself, I know I will drench that woman, should be a laugh. I'm really nervous I will get fined and points on my licence because of this mistake. If I could of stopped I would but it's kinda difficult on a busy main road. I came here for support and you really don't help Tom. In fact, I find you quite passive aggressive.
Original post by IWMTom

Yeah this is definitely overboard...

OP claims it was a one off accident, that this person was walking close to the curb, and that they "didn't splash them that much". If that is true, this is clearly barely even worth feeling guilty about. If its a bit worse than described, maybe a bit of scorn is ok. Reporting to police? Come on. They have better things to do.
Original post by Fermion.
Splashing a pedestrian is a criminal offence. Why are you justifying an offence?

I live in a place where it rains constantly, and I've been splashed so many times on my way to work or somewhere and my clothes have been ruined. Drivers should really WATCH where they're driving and if there is a puddle, give the pedestrian a chance to move away or proceed with caution.

I’m just saying it probably wasn’t completely his fault 🤦🏻*♀️ if he gets a penalty then fair enough ?

I also live in those areas and been splashed a couple times but I guess I don’t take it to heart as I can’t really blame the weather.
Original post by IWMTom

My uniform consists of a white top and once I got splashed and my top was soaking wet with splashes of brown muddy water on it. It ruined my day and I felt so deflated. Luckily my manager had a spare top lying about that I could change into. It is horrible getting splashed, can't believe people think it's alright :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending