The Student Room Group

Didn't get into med school? I have some questions for you...!

Hi, I just finished my online summer exams and I'm worried that I won't get the predicted grades to get into medschool!

People who didn't get into medschool, what did you do instead of medicine? e.g. which course did you do instead at uni, or did you even go to uni? Would you say that it was a good or a bad thing that you didn't get into medschool?
Original post by pancakesbob7
Hi, I just finished my online summer exams and I'm worried that I won't get the predicted grades to get into medschool!

People who didn't get into medschool, what did you do instead of medicine? e.g. which course did you do instead at uni, or did you even go to uni? Would you say that it was a good or a bad thing that you didn't get into medschool?

Hi, I never got into med school simply because of not being able to get the relevant experience required by med schools. I now study Biochemistry and Genetics at the University of Nottingham. In all honesty, at the time I was really downhearted from the rejections. Now looking back on it I’m so glad I’m in the position I’m in. The rejections have been a blessing in disguise as I have some amazing career prospects. If you don’t get into med school, it really isn’t the end of the world. Things happen for a reason, if you get in great, if not, reapply or apply for grad entry medicine after doing a degree in something else. Remember to keep that chin held high if things don’t go to plan. There are so many people out there living a successful and fulfilled lifestyle despite not being doctors. In the short term it’s a bummer getting rejected, time certainly heals those emotions and you could end up later on down the line still living life to the fullest! Please keep me updated with how you get on, wishing you the best! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by thebiochemguy
Hi, I never got into med school simply because of not being able to get the relevant experience required by med schools. I now study Biochemistry and Genetics at the University of Nottingham. In all honesty, at the time I was really downhearted from the rejections. Now looking back on it I’m so glad I’m in the position I’m in. The rejections have been a blessing in disguise as I have some amazing career prospects. If you don’t get into med school, it really isn’t the end of the world. Things happen for a reason, if you get in great, if not, reapply or apply for grad entry medicine after doing a degree in something else. Remember to keep that chin held high if things don’t go to plan. There are so many people out there living a successful and fulfilled lifestyle despite not being doctors. In the short term it’s a bummer getting rejected, time certainly heals those emotions and you could end up later on down the line still living life to the fullest! Please keep me updated with how you get on, wishing you the best! :smile:

Thank you! Just wondering what helped you make the decision to study Biochemistry? I've been considering biochemistry or pharmacy school as my backup :smile:
Thank you :smile:
Thank you! Just wondering what helped you make the decision to study Biochemistry? I've been considering biochemistry or pharmacy school as my backup :smile:

Tbh I just found biochem far more interesting than other backups and I’m much stronger at it as well. Genetics is also of much interest to myself, hence why I chose that along with the biochem. I also found that biochem gave more freedom in terms of careers as it’s far more broad than pharmacy so easier to get into a broader range of careers.
(edited 3 years ago)
Tbh I just found biochem far more interesting than other backups and I’m much stronger at it as well. Genetics is also of much interest to myself, hence why I chose that along with the biochem. I also found that biochem gave more freedom in terms of careers as it’s far more broad than pharmacy so easier to get into a broader range of careers.

Would you mind ranking your a levels in order of your favourite subject to your least favourite?
Would you mind ranking your a levels in order of your favourite subject to your least favourite?

Yh no problem
Favourite:
Chemistry
Biology
Psychology
Least favourite.
T

Yh no problem
Favourite:
Chemistry
Biology
Psychology
Least favourite.

Thank you!
Reply 8

I'm in the same position as you - I just received my predictions of ABC and our school completely scrapped our mocks. It was disheartening to say the least
Original post by hiiiii1
I'm in the same position as you - I just received my predictions of ABC and our school completely scrapped our mocks. It was disheartening to say the least

Awh no!!! I bet it's disheartening :frown:Keep me updated on how it goes...good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by hiiiii1

yep same my school took away our mocks and im predicted ABB. however, im applying for medicine through widening participation schemes, which require BBB or BBC. so, if you guys are eligible for widening participation schemes, such as parents didn't go university and other stuff, then you should apply. I am going to be applying to Newcastle University through PARTNERS, Hull York Medical through Gateway Year, Anglia Ruskin through WAMS and another im still deciding upon.
Awh no!!! I bet it's disheartening :frown:Keep me updated on how it goes...good luck!

Thank you so much. Keep me updated on your mocks too!

Original post by Raja12
yep same my school took away our mocks and im predicted ABB. however, im applying for medicine through widening participation schemes, which require BBB or BBC. so, if you guys are eligible for widening participation schemes, such as parents didn't go university and other stuff, then you should apply. I am going to be applying to Newcastle University through PARTNERS, Hull York Medical through Gateway Year, Anglia Ruskin through WAMS and another im still deciding upon.

It must be frustrating, but good luck and I hope you get in. I need to check the requirements for those courses carefully, even though I doubt I fit them.
You can ignore the blanket advice that you should just take a gap year and reapply again because that’s very dependent on circumstances and on the individual. If unfortunately you don’t get the grades to apply for med school then taking a gap year will be a waste of time and will not improve your chances of getting in. It’s also not worth doing a degree as a means to an end just to get into graduate entry. Which brings me to conclude that if for whatever reason you don’t get the grades, you should look at studying Medicine abroad. Cheaper fees in lots of countries, cheaper cost of living and no delay to your studying and career plans. Plenty of people take this option nowadays instead of doing another degree that chances are, someone at your school or in a nearby school will be doing it.
Reply 13
Original post by asif007
You can ignore the blanket advice that you should just take a gap year and reapply again because that’s very dependent on circumstances and on the individual. If unfortunately you don’t get the grades to apply for med school then taking a gap year will be a waste of time and will not improve your chances of getting in. It’s also not worth doing a degree as a means to an end just to get into graduate entry. Which brings me to conclude that if for whatever reason you don’t get the grades, you should look at studying Medicine abroad. Cheaper fees in lots of countries, cheaper cost of living and no delay to your studying and career plans. Plenty of people take this option nowadays instead of doing another degree that chances are, someone at your school or in a nearby school will be doing it.

Unless OP is pretty sure they cannot get AAA at A level, then taking a gap year, resitting and re-applying will, statistically, give them the best opportunity of getting a medicial degree that they know for sure can be used in this country without any issues. Standard entry medicine has the lowest requirements for entry tests, generally, and the lowest number of applicants to place.

Going abroad brings a whole new set of problems. There is no Government funding, so you have to finance this yourself. Even if a course is taught in English, a student will have to learn the local language to a pretty fluent level to be able to converse with patients in clinical years. It is a long way from home and familiarity and support. Many European Med Schools are pretty easy to get into but have very high attrition rates once you are there. There is currently no guaranteed course back into UK medicine post-qualification for foreign grads, given Brexit uncertainties.
Thank you all for the advice...I ended up scraping AAA* so I think I'm okay now....thank you!!!
Thank you all for the advice...I ended up scraping AAA* so I think I'm okay now....thank you!!!

Well done I am so happy for you!

Very well done! Time to celebrate :banana:
Original post by hiiiii1
Well done I am so happy for you!

Very well done! Time to celebrate :banana:

Thanks..! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending