The Student Room Group

Afraid of starting grad scheme

Hello,

I recently graduated with a bachelor's degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and have an electrical grad scheme in September.
However, I feel as if I am not ready to start the scheme. I feel I have not learnt anything in all my years as a student, despite getting a first.
I feel like I will be clueless and will fall behind my peers/fellow graduates and will perform badly.

Has anyone gone through the same issue? I know all of this sounds absurd, but any advice would be great!
Original post by mr.dandy
Hello,

I recently graduated with a bachelor's degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and have an electrical grad scheme in September.
However, I feel as if I am not ready to start the scheme. I feel I have not learnt anything in all my years as a student, despite getting a first.
I feel like I will be clueless and will fall behind my peers/fellow graduates and will perform badly.

Has anyone gone through the same issue? I know all of this sounds absurd, but any advice would be great!

I was in the exact same position as you. Started my grad scheme at the start of this year... and honestly it's amazing. My colleagues are so supportive!
The stuff you learn at University is important, but so is experience... you've achieved a first class so sounds like you're more than capable of learning on the job :smile:.

I got a first in my MSc but still struggled at the start. I'm sure you'll fit in well after a couple of weeks and understand your role better

I'm actually starting a new grad scheme this September at a better consultancy (I'm a civil engineer). Do you mind me asking where you're starting your grad scheme?
You probably will be clueless but nobody expects a grad to hit the ground running. Just make sure you ask questions whenever you're not sure else you'll stay clueless.
Reply 3
Original post by Incubator
I was in the exact same position as you. Started my grad scheme at the start of this year... and honestly it's amazing. My colleagues are so supportive!
The stuff you learn at University is important, but so is experience... you've achieved a first class so sounds like you're more than capable of learning on the job :smile:.

I got a first in my MSc but still struggled at the start. I'm sure you'll fit in well after a couple of weeks and understand your role better

I'm actually starting a new grad scheme this September at a better consultancy (I'm a civil engineer). Do you mind me asking where you're starting your grad scheme?

Thanks for your answer!
How much of your uni knowledge do you feel you used during your grad scheme? Because I've been told that usually companies teach you from the ground up and that uni knowledge is hardly used.

I would tell you the grad scheme but have many people I know who use this site so dont want to give myself away lol :colondollar:

Were there other gradates in the same position as you? As in feeling imposter syndrome and trying to fit in? Thanks in advance!
Reply 4
Original post by Student-95
You probably will be clueless but nobody expects a grad to hit the ground running. Just make sure you ask questions whenever you're not sure else you'll stay clueless.

Yeah it's more of an issue of how much of my uni knowledge I need to recall since I don't feel l learnt/retained much. If I am given training or learning opportunities with enough resources I can pull through but the time it will take for me to reach that point in the scheme has me concerned.
Yeah it's more of an issue of how much of my uni knowledge I need to recall since I don't feel l learnt/retained much. If I am given training or learning opportunities with enough resources I can pull through but the time it will take for me to reach that point in the scheme has me concerned.

Probably next to nothing in terms of specific technical knowledge.
Thanks for your answer!
How much of your uni knowledge do you feel you used during your grad scheme? Because I've been told that usually companies teach you from the ground up and that uni knowledge is hardly used.

I would tell you the grad scheme but have many people I know who use this site so dont want to give myself away lol :colondollar:

Were there other gradates in the same position as you? As in feeling imposter syndrome and trying to fit in? Thanks in advance!

I think its dependent on the the type of work you go into - for example, in Engineering you are expected to have sufficient technical knowledge from your degree to an extent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending