The Student Room Group

***Official Investment Banking Spring Week 2021 Thread**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GermanGuy27
Hi there,

I was just wondering whether the application process for spring weeks in the Engineering/Technology divisions are as competitive as they are for Investment Banking. I just skimmed through previous threads and was pretty surprised as I hadn't expected the majority of applicants to already have work experience/extracurriculars. It made me a little worried. How would you estimate my chances with this profile?

- Abitur/A-Levels: 1.0 (best possible grade), I guess it's equivalent to A*A*A(*)

- subject of study: physics (at one of the great STEM universities in Germany - however, the concept of target universities doesn't really exist here)

- ECs/work experience: I already studied physics at university during my last year of high school (achieved best possible grade); I'm a part-time (voluntary) software engineer at a NGO providing help for developing countries; I'm currently contributing to open-source educational software; other non-tech stuff such as working at a supermarket, tutoring maths - those are not worth including, are they?

Good luck with your applications!

1. From speaking to friends I'd say they're (eng/tech) a little less competitive but things really change year to year and the specific bank you apply to also plays a big role - So I'd say its better to accept that competition is everywhere and focus on making yourself as strong of an applicant as possible.

2. Grades and Universities all good I'm sure the firm will have had applicants from that school so no need to worry there

3.Experience is outstanding all are worth mentioning if there is space on your cv I put that I worked at a restaurant, alongside some consulting experience - any experience is welcomed its all about how you talk and write about it? What skills did you develop? Have you achieved any milestones while working on those projects for the NGOs? Can you confidently explain why those experiences make you a good candidate for a spring week.

Focus on learning how to speak about why those programs have been beneficial, they also appear to be unique so thats a bonus! Tutoring math and working at a supermarket can definitely be added.

FINAL TIP: You appear to be a very strong candidate, don't focus on others, I can assure you the amount of students who come on here to list of their experiences is very small compared to the entire pool of applicants and I can bet the amount of that small group that get offers is also not that big - you'll be fine. - try and attend virtual events (check firms websites)
Original post by JamesHardenRocks
1. From speaking to friends I'd say they're (eng/tech) a little less competitive but things really change year to year and the specific bank you apply to also plays a big role - So I'd say its better to accept that competition is everywhere and focus on making yourself as strong of an applicant as possible.

2. Grades and Universities all good I'm sure the firm will have had applicants from that school so no need to worry there

3.Experience is outstanding all are worth mentioning if there is space on your cv I put that I worked at a restaurant, alongside some consulting experience - any experience is welcomed its all about how you talk and write about it? What skills did you develop? Have you achieved any milestones while working on those projects for the NGOs? Can you confidently explain why those experiences make you a good candidate for a spring week.

Focus on learning how to speak about why those programs have been beneficial, they also appear to be unique so thats a bonus! Tutoring math and working at a supermarket can definitely be added.

FINAL TIP: You appear to be a very strong candidate, don't focus on others, I can assure you the amount of students who come on here to list of their experiences is very small compared to the entire pool of applicants and I can bet the amount of that small group that get offers is also not that big - you'll be fine. - try and attend virtual events (check firms websites)

Thanks for your feedback. I'm actually pretty confident that my profile is pretty good and I rarely compare myself to others, I'm just having some difficulties evaluating my chances as the name of universities matters that much in the UK and there is not really a hierarchy when it comes to German universities. The software we're currently developing will launch soon, we'll see to what extent it influences the organisation's work :smile:
If you put predicted 1st and you're applying before December you'll look silly because what work have you done or submitted to even warrant such a prediction. The general rule is to predict 2.1 - isn't really even brought up at interview.

Thanks so much! Any chance you could look over my CV? No worries if not!
Original post by honeydukes01
Thanks so much! Any chance you could look over my CV? No worries if not!

Sure - shoot me a private message
Reply 44
interested
How competitive is Bank of America?
Reply 46
When do spring week/ insight day applications typically open and how long does it take to prepare your application?
Original post by anya_02
When do spring week/ insight day applications typically open and how long does it take to prepare your application?

It can take anywhere from a few hours to months. Let me explain.

If you knew about it ahead of time you'll have already started preparing your cv, cover letters and strategising, this is especially true for those who are in second year of a four year course.

It can take months because some applicants will wait for an event to happen and those don't typically start till the autumn, some applications open in July for example. The rest of the time is on an individual basis, practicing for psychometric tests, networking and chatting with people, not learning about the application till very late in the cycle, it can take people a while, there is no set benchmark but the rule is the earlier the better simply because there tends to be less competition but not always true.

I did my GS Spring app in around October ( It opened way earlier), Interview around Nov, offer Dec or there abouts, banks tend to look at apps in batches.

My friend channel for more tips - https://youtu.be/9tVwnjayZ4M
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey! I currently hold an unconditional offer from Durham for Law. I am looking forward to applying to the spring week programme. I have 5 internships. However 3 of them are law related (lawfirms), one of them was in the compliance department of a management company and the other was investment banking related. Should I include and talk about all of them?
I'm an incoming fresher and don't have my uni email yet. I also have yet to join clubs and socs, as my uni starts up in early October. Should I apply to spring week programs now or wait until I get to college?
Original post by monkeybananas
I'm an incoming fresher and don't have my uni email yet. I also have yet to join clubs and socs, as my uni starts up in early October. Should I apply to spring week programs now or wait until I get to college?

Same situation. I’m going to wait until uni starts
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I was due to sit an extra A level this year (only did two last year) due to pretty compelling mitigating circumstances during my A levels which I can provide evidence of. However, I am a private candidate and can't get a grade so am forced to do the autumn exams. the results won't come out until after spring week deadlines. My uni (a semi target) has let me in anyway this year so this year will be my only shot at spring weeks. I have an A in the subject at AS that I'm due to sit the exam in and I have two other As at A-level so I'm hoping that will hold some weight. Obviously this is out of my control but how would I go about bring it up on my cv/cover letter?? I really don't want to be filtered out at the UCAS point stage as had covid not happened this wouldn't have been a problem.
The rest of my CV is pretty strong and have done some finance related work on my gap year so I'm going to give it a shot even with my A level problem.
Also, If I'm unsuccessful in gaining any spring weeks is it worth seeing if I can extend my degree by doing a year abroad and applying again next year or just taking the L and trying to get some volunteering experience, leadership positions in societies, cold calling firms etc?
Original post by Anas0978
Hey! I currently hold an unconditional offer from Durham for Law. I am looking forward to applying to the spring week programme. I have 5 internships. However 3 of them are law related (lawfirms), one of them was in the compliance department of a management company and the other was investment banking related. Should I include and talk about all of them?

Hey,

I'd say it very much depends on the divisions you apply to. Applying to compliance or legal within banking - Keep them.
If you're trying to get a taste of other divisions I'd keep the management, banking and some of the law depending on the division you worked at - were any of the law related internships within the banking a finance division of that legal firm for example.

Now that being said its worth mentioning the cliché 'no experience is bad experience' but its definitely worth tailoring which experiences and you mention based on the divisions you're applying to and I would recommend applying to a mix of divisions if you haven't thought of doing so already. Your profile at present would appeal to many different divisions which could increase your chances.

feel free to PM any questions
Original post by monkeybananas

Uni email not a big deal, it's worth waiting if you feel the clubs and societies are going to dramatically improve your chances i.e. your experience and grades so far aren't as strong as you'd like.

Clubs and socs are one part of an application and are great if you take part in activities that you can draw from in interview or help show you're well rounded but they don't make or break an application in my opinion, if you have good experience, good grades, have a well written cv/ cover letter I'd apply to some now.

Firms have typically gone through applications in batches, it's a no brainer that more people will apply in the autumn thus increasing competition. All this being said if you don't feel your application is there yet, wait :smile:
Original post by fuhnance
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I was due to sit an extra A level this year (only did two last year) due to pretty compelling mitigating circumstances during my A levels which I can provide evidence of. However, I am a private candidate and can't get a grade so am forced to do the autumn exams. the results won't come out until after spring week deadlines. My uni (a semi target) has let me in anyway this year so this year will be my only shot at spring weeks. I have an A in the subject at AS that I'm due to sit the exam in and I have two other As at A-level so I'm hoping that will hold some weight. Obviously this is out of my control but how would I go about bring it up on my cv/cover letter?? I really don't want to be filtered out at the UCAS point stage as had covid not happened this wouldn't have been a problem.
The rest of my CV is pretty strong and have done some finance related work on my gap year so I'm going to give it a shot even with my A level problem.
Also, If I'm unsuccessful in gaining any spring weeks is it worth seeing if I can extend my degree by doing a year abroad and applying again next year or just taking the L and trying to get some volunteering experience, leadership positions in societies, cold calling firms etc?

Sorry to hear about your A-level experience, hope things are better!

I'd say first off it remember that grades are just one section and considering what's happened with Covid I think firms will have to be flexible.
Not all firms will ask for UCAS points when filling out an application but most will have a section where you can write a little note to go along with your application. I'd try and be concise as possible, 'extenuating circumstances final grade to released early spring 2021' next to the AS Grade on cv or in that little note section on the application I mentioned. If they want to know more they'll ask.

I wouldn't spend much of your cover letter explaining the situation with the grade, but I could be wrong. I'd keep it focused on your experiences and different motivations for applying to the firm and specific division. If you really want, for the applications that filter based on ucas points before filling it out you could email HR. Again, try and be as concise as possible. They'll reach out again if they want more details.

Personally, not gaining a spring week doesn't = L, Though it can feel like that. Now of course it's desirable but don't take a year abroad or apply for a year in industry because you didn't get a spring, those are big commitments. Do it because you want to. There are other options, try looking at professional services (deloitte, KPMG etc) for springs as well. Or like you said, society positions, apply to competitions, take leadership roles and look to summer internships, especially if your gap year experience is strong.

There are a lot of other factors but my main point is do the year abroad or year in industry because you want to not just because you didn't get a spring.
Sorry to hear about your A-level experience, hope things are better!

I'd say first off it remember that grades are just one section and considering what's happened with Covid I think firms will have to be flexible.
Not all firms will ask for UCAS points when filling out an application but most will have a section where you can write a little note to go along with your application. I'd try and be concise as possible, 'extenuating circumstances final grade to released early spring 2021' next to the AS Grade on cv or in that little note section on the application I mentioned. If they want to know more they'll ask.

I wouldn't spend much of your cover letter explaining the situation with the grade, but I could be wrong. I'd keep it focused on your experiences and different motivations for applying to the firm and specific division. If you really want, for the applications that filter based on ucas points before filling it out you could email HR. Again, try and be as concise as possible. They'll reach out again if they want more details.

Personally, not gaining a spring week doesn't = L, Though it can feel like that. Now of course it's desirable but don't take a year abroad or apply for a year in industry because you didn't get a spring, those are big commitments. Do it because you want to. There are other options, try looking at professional services (deloitte, KPMG etc) for springs as well. Or like you said, society positions, apply to competitions, take leadership roles and look to summer internships, especially if your gap year experience is strong.

There are a lot of other factors but my main point is do the year abroad or year in industry because you want to not just because you didn't get a spring.

Do lots of people get into summer internships without getting a spring week? By not getting a spring week does it significantly reduce your chances of landing a summer internship?
na broooo

Original post by Utd4life0101
Do lots of people get into summer internships without getting a spring week? By not getting a spring week does it significantly reduce your chances of landing a summer internship?
Original post by Utd4life0101

It's rare but it depends on the field, investment banking, front office summer internship places very little

Again just my opinion - if your gap year work experience is very strong it could balance out not having a spring i.e. directly related to finance, would have been longer than 1 week or 2, type of work could have been very relevant to divisions you're applying to and so on. Would need to details on the strength of that experience
Is Blackstone opened for 2021 yet? I can only find the 2020 one.
is ubs opened yet? their website said it's opened, but cant find the apply page

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending