The Student Room Group

linkedin pervs or?

I know this is a weird question but have nowhere else to ask this. I am so confused about it. Not sure if it is filled with creepos or if this is the etiquette of connecting. I am sorry if I sound dumb.

I am only a university student and with not that much of an impressive profile.
If random older men who are CEOs message me saying "hey" I do not respond, right? or am I being dumb? Like if they are looking to talk to me for professional reasons surely it would be a more professional message?

Or is the etiquette there informal?

Sorry, do not know which forum to put this in. I know they are mostly likely pervs, but making sure.

Scroll to see replies

It is best to avoid linkedin.
There is a huge amount of spamming, professional guys looking to hookup plus expand their social networks and random pervy creeps too cheap to pay a premium rate hotline or onlyfans subscription.
Reply 2
Original post by Synergy_
I know this is a weird question but have nowhere else to ask this. I am so confused about it. Not sure if it is filled with creepos or if this is the etiquette of connecting. I am sorry if I sound dumb.

If random older men who are CEOs message me saying "hey" I do not respond, right? or am I being dumb? Like if they are looking to talk to me for professional reasons surely it would be a more professional message?

Sorry, do not know which forum to put this in. I know they are mostly likely pervs, but making sure.

It’s ok! It was a perfectly reasonable question :wink:
I’d go with @londonmyst x
The issue of pervy men on LinkedIn has been mentioned a while back. I cannot remember the exact details though.
Lol that's so weird getting just a 'hey'. I would definitely expect a proper introduction and reason for getting in contact in the first message, especially from a CEO. Maybe they forgot they were on LinkedIn and thought they were on Tinder instead :lol:
disgusting but @Synergy_ surely ur a perv too?

i read ur blog :naughty:
Reply 6
Acc thinking of it our school made us make an account 😞
Well, I just follow ZSL on there so I think it’s fine :smile:
Original post by barnetlad
The issue of pervy men on LinkedIn has been mentioned a while back. I cannot remember the exact details though.

Got excited that it was a CEO of some important company (work/ opportunity wise of course lol), so I just wanted to make sure that there is no chance at all that this is just the etiquette/ protocol there and I am missing out :lol:
Original post by Raptor Jesus

:rofl3: omggggg
I never go as far as messaging, just enjoy the eye candy lmaooooo
:rofl3: omggggg
I never go as far as messaging, just enjoy the eye candy lmaooooo

woof - im wiping the sweat off my forehead :beard:

also now u know u have silent readers on ur blog :biggrin:
Original post by Legomenon
Lol that's so weird getting just a 'hey'. I would definitely expect a proper introduction and reason for getting in contact in the first message, especially from a CEO. Maybe they forgot they were on LinkedIn and thought they were on Tinder instead :lol:

I know right, he sounds like a teenage boy. :confused: Probably thinks his position will lure young women in to respond loll
woof - im wiping the sweat off my forehead :beard:

also now u know u have silent readers on ur blog :biggrin:

I can't believe that mess of a blog has silent reader(s) lmaooo. Honoured to have you read it :blushing:
Original post by Moonbow
It’s ok! It was a perfectly reasonable question :wink:
I’d go with @londonmyst x

Original post by londonmyst
There is a huge amount of spamming, professional guys looking to hookup plus expand their social networks and random pervy creeps too cheap to pay a premium rate hotline or onlyfans subscription.

Ahh, thank you! You are probably right ://
Ahh, thank you! You are probably right ://

It’s ok! I’m sure there’s plenty of others that will be really good :biggrin:
Update: He just said, "Nice to meet you, *insert my name here*!"

He probably saw that I was online. And yeah this fully confirms that it is not professional. :frown:

Hopefully one day these messages will be for legitimate professional reasons :moon:
(edited 3 years ago)

Original post by londonmyst

I never realised. LinkedIn always seemed pretty good and clean to me.

But I suppose it's because I'm not one of those people that adds every person I come across, even if they're someone I never met but saw their name in an email chain at work.

And I'm a guy.
Update: He just said, "Nice to meet you, *insert my name here*!"

He probably saw that I was online. And yeah this fully confirms that it is not professional. :frown:

Hopefully one day these messages will be for legitimate professional reasons :moon:

Check their profile to see if they're legit. Do they have any extra details, references, recommendations, endorsements, etc.? (whatever these things happen to be called).

Do they appear to have an authentic professional / academic history?

Do they even take care of their profile?
Original post by NonIndigenous
I never realised. LinkedIn always seemed pretty good and clean to me.

But I suppose it's because I'm not one of those people that adds every person I come across, even if they're someone I never met but saw their name in an email chain at work.

And I'm a guy.

Same, I've never seen any pervy behaviour on there at all, all professional and decent to me :dontknow:
Original post by NonIndigenous
Check their profile to see if they're legit. Do they have any extra details, references, recommendations, endorsements, etc.? (whatever these things happen to be called).

Do they appear to have an authentic professional / academic history?

Do they even take care of their profile?

Yess a very impressive profile, which is what I found really weird. A few publications, many endorsements and achievemnts, seems to have quite an authentic professional and academic history. Unless he is really good at making it seem real. A few mutuals from my university.

She is, but she's in denial. Pervs should proudly own it!

Latest