The Student Room Group

Why does the Russell Group get so much hype?

Some see it like there is no point going to university if you aren't going to a Russell Group university even though many of the best universities aren't in the Russell Group. Why does the Russell Group get so much hype?

Scroll to see replies

I didn't even know about RG until TSR... It wasn't something that was ever brought up in my school or in any conversation whatsoever between any of my friends. That said, I went to school in Edinburgh, so maybe it's more of an issue in England? No idea. Unbelievably silly hype or whatever considering people completely misunderstand the concept and force it upon their own notions to mirror the prestigious Ivy League.
Russell Group uni's tend to be good but I honestly have no idea why they're hyped up so much. There are also good universities outside of the Russell Group e.g. St Andrews, Bath, Lancaster & Loughborough
Reply 3
Original post by Quick-use
I didn't even know about RG until TSR... It wasn't something that was ever brought up in my school or in any conversation whatsoever between any of my friends. That said, I went to school in Edinburgh, so maybe it's more of an issue in England? No idea. Unbelievably silly hype or whatever considering people completely misunderstand the concept and force it upon their own notions to mirror the prestigious Ivy League.

And they don't know what the Ivy League actually is
Completely agree! Its your choice where you go and you shouldnt be judged for going to somewhere less well known, im going to BCU which is an old polytechnic. When i tell people they sneer. This being said the course i want to do is a vocational degree and is more hands on (useful) than some of the prestigious degrees known as Latin and philosophy for example (sorry if that offends but i dont see the need for these degrees unless you want to learn something new rather than a career choice). RG unis dont even offer my course so what else am i meant to do, pick something prestigious that i dont like?

I find it pathetic when you see A level results day and you see these people gutted because they cant go to a RG uni because of their grades and think they can never go to uni now that they aren’t accepted! They seem to ignore these less known ones. I also find that there is a similar issue with A levels and BTECs.

Ps. Sorry in advance if this offends. Its just my opinion
(edited 3 years ago)
I went to a Russell Group uni (in the 90s) without having a clue that it was in the Russell Group, or what the Russell Group was. I only found out years after graduating. I have no idea why some people on TSR are so obsessed with it.
Russel Group universities tend to lead in many areas. Whilst only being 14% of all universities, they get a large proportion of the available research funding, which attracts the best professors who deliver the best teaching. On average they have double the staff:student ratio.

There are exceptions. A few non-RG universities are better than a few RG universities, but on average they are the best.
Original post by DarthRoar
Russel Group universities tend to lead in many areas. Whilst only being 14% of all universities, they get a large proportion of the available research funding, which attracts the best professors who deliver the best teaching. On average they have double the staff:student ratio.

There are exceptions. A few non-RG universities are better than a few RG universities, but on average they are the best.

I would have to 100% disagree with the bit I've emboldened. Top academic researchers by no means make good teachers. In fact, every single one of my favourite and most effective academic teachers (or whatever you would like to call them) were not actual permanent university lecturers at Edinburgh dedicated to research. These were language tutors or PhD lecturers or every single member of staff I had the privilege of encountering at Sophia University in Tokyo (a private university prioritising teaching). My Master's at Lancaster has also allowed me the utter privilege of having some phenomenal lecturers and tutors.

I'd actually argue that lower ranked and/or smaller universities that focus more on teaching have much better support and effective teachers. Whereas, myself and my friends from UoE as well as my friends from Oxford or LSE etc all had to self-teach practically everything because most of our lecturers were terrible at teaching.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Lightning720
Some see it like there is no point going to university if you aren't going to a Russell Group university even though many of the best universities aren't in the Russell Group. Why does the Russell Group get so much hype?

Because people use the term to colloquially refer to good universities. It's easier for sixth forms etc. posting A level success stories to say X% of students are going to an RG so that the general reader gets a sense of how good the sixth form is.

It's not totally correct to do this since good universities exist outside of the RG, but there aren't 'many of the best' that are outside it in my opinion, only a handful.
Original post by Diplomatic
Because people use the term to colloquially refer to good universities. It's easier for sixth forms etc. posting A level success stories to say X% of students are going to an RG so that the general reader gets a sense of how good the sixth form is.

It's not totally correct to do this since good universities exist outside of the RG, but there aren't 'many of the best' that are outside it in my opinion, only a handful.

You state your last point however do you really know the unis without going to them yourself? You cant judge a uni till you experience it surely?
Original post by Lshort17
You state your last point however do you really know the unis without going to them yourself? You cant judge a uni till you experience it surely?

you can judge it from employability, global rankings, alumni, research...

Fortunately I don't need to have attended every university to understand the quality of their research, which is the only non-opaque criteria for being in the RG.
Original post by leobrave
you can judge it from employability, global rankings, alumni, research...

Fair but some of these are individual circumstances. I dont always look at this as personally for me im one of those see it to believe it kinda people.
Fair but some of these are individual circumstances. I dont always look at this as personally for me im one of those see it to believe it kinda people.

Yeah but the stats are taken from thousands of students to get an average and obtain the most accurate representation and to eliminate these so called individual circumstances. Additionally, if you want a good paying job you most likely want to go where firms employ from, not necessarily where you believe is the best.
For lots of reasons, sadly none of which I've seen that are actually valid or oftentimes even logically consistent...

A telling thing would be to ask a school student why a university being part of the Russell Group makes it a better university than one which isn't. I imagine they would struggle to answer with anything other than "because it's in the RG..."
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
For lots of reasons, sadly none of which I've seen that are actually valid or oftentimes even logically consistent...

A telling thing would be to ask a school student why a university being part of the Russell Group makes it a better university than one which isn't. I imagine they would struggle to answer with anything other than "because it's in the RG..."

its targeted by recruiters in comparison to non rg uni's for example comparing oxford and oxford brookes
People say all kinds of crap :tongue:
Original post by leobrave
Yeah but the stats are taken from thousands of students to get an average and obtain the most accurate representation and to eliminate these so called individual circumstances. Additionally, if you want a good paying job you most likely want to go where firms employ from, not necessarily where you believe is the best.

But then you wonder why so many drop out of these institutions because they only looked at the stats and that they didnt enjoy the experience
And here we have exactly what we are on about on a fb group 🤦🏼*♂️😂

C057448E-4FF8-4502-BFB7-F540AFDF0D82.jpg.jpeg
But then you wonder why so many drop out of these institutions because they only looked at the stats and that they didnt enjoy the experience

Russell Group uni's aren't hyped because its a fun place, its hyped because it provides you with the network and opportunity to become an attractive candidate to employers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending