The Student Room Group

Strict parents

Please tell me I’m not the only one who has super strict parents. Like I’m not allowed my phone upstairs and can’t go on my phone past 9:30pm, not allowed out with my friends and my screen time is legit 2 hours throughout the whole day and they say I stay on it a lot.....

Any advice

Scroll to see replies

how old are you?
Original post by Anonymous
Please tell me I’m not the only one who has super strict parents. Like I’m not allowed my phone upstairs and can’t go on my phone past 9:30pm, not allowed out with my friends and my screen time is legit 2 hours throughout the whole day and they say I stay on it a lot.....

Any advice

My parents were stricter when I was younger, but not so much anymore. How old are you? The acceptability of this depends on your age.
yeah how old are you before we comment.
Reply 4
how old are you?

Reply 5
Original post by Kutie Karen
yeah how old are you before we comment.

Original post by DrawTheLine
My parents were stricter when I was younger, but not so much anymore. How old are you? The acceptability of this depends on your age.

16 but I feel like at least on weekends I can sleep a bit later
Reply 6
I’m unhappy but I’m scared to tell them 😔 like I hardly get to do or go anywhere and I feel left out w my friends
Reply 7
I try but it turns to lecture all they care about is my education because they want me to be a doctor I don’t even want to be a doctor 😭
Reply 8
I’ll try thank you so much for the advice xx
Reply 9
I’m African but yeah still the same i can’t wait to move out 😭😭

Any advice

Do what they say.

You actually having a phone is generous in their part.

2 hours per day on a phone is also very generous. It would be better for your development if you cut it down to 5 minutes per day maximum.

During non coronavirus times, you see your friends for several hourse per day, 5 days a week at school.

It's common for promising 16 year olds to go off the rails because they fall in with the wrong set of friends and drop out of school.

When you are 18 and have left home for uni, or for work, you can do what you want. Although if you continue most of the good habits your parents have forced on you, you'll do well. The only big habit to change would be to have a very active social life on top of taking your studies or work seriously.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Do what they say.

2 hours per day on a phone is also very generous. It would be better for your development if you cut it down to 5 minutes per day maximum.

During non coronavirus times, you see your friends for several hourse per day, 5 days a week at school.

It's common for promising 16 year olds to go off the rails because they fall in with the wrong set of friends and drop out of school.

When you are 18 and have left home for uni, or for work, you can do what you want. Although if you continue most of the good habits your parents have forced on you, you'll do well. The only big habit to change would be to have a very active social life on top of taking your studies or work seriously.

I asked if I can go out and they said not til it 20 💀
I asked if I can go out and they said not til it 20 💀

20:00 hours? 8 PM? :wink:

When you are 18 and are living away from the parental home, you can legally, morally, ethically and physically go out at any time that you want and stay out as long as you want.

And please do exercise your right to do this - in due course - as it will be good for your development as a person.

You have the makings of a great adult if you can do what your parents tell you to now, you can cut your phone usage down to 5 minutes per day, and you move away from home after your A levels and then have an active social life on top of a professional studying and working life.

The day that I left home to go to uni was the joint happiest of my life. I think that day will be the same for you.
In the meantime enjoy the next 2 years as much as you can and work like a dog for your A levels.
Thats nice asf Im not accessed to my phone the whole school year 👀😢
I try but it turns to lecture all they care about is my education because they want me to be a doctor I don’t even want to be a doctor 😭

I would tell them you do not want to be a doctor. Only 1 in 4 potential medics get accepted onto courses and you really need to do something you are interested in.
20:00 hours? 8 PM? :wink:

When you are 18 and are living away from the parental home, you can legally, morally, ethically and physically go out at any time that you want and stay out as long as you want.

And please do exercise your right to do this - in due course - as it will be good for your development as a person.

You have the makings of a great adult if you can do what your parents tell you to now, you can cut your phone usage down to 5 minutes per day, and you move away from home after your A levels and then have an active social life on top of a professional studying and working life.

The day that I left home to go to uni was the joint happiest of my life. I think that day will be the same for you.
In the meantime enjoy the next 2 years as much as you can and work like a dog for your A levels.

They want me to go to uni here I won’t be able to leave 😔
Original post by gelato1014
Thats nice asf Im not accessed to my phone the whole school year 👀😢

When I said 2 hrs I meant like I go on it 5 minutes and they tell me to close it whenever I go on it and it adds up to 2 hrs
They want me to go to uni here I won’t be able to leave 😔

They legally, morally and ethically cannot stop you from going to uni anywhere in the world when you are 18.

If they are going to be unreasonable about it, I'd recommend that you discuss this with a trusted teacher at your school or 6th form college. Explain that you want to go to uni in a different city to where you live, whilst your parents are effectively trying to inprison you. And that would it be possible for you to have all official correspondence regarding your uni applications to be sent to another address, eg a "post box" or the school.

Because this is a serious matter and you may be the victim of a crime if you can't secretly apply to uni away from your home city.

Your parents won't be happy when you disappear on the day you have to go off to uni. But you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

Your freedom as an adult person is more important than their desires.
i have extremely strict parents too
Do what they say.

Problem with everything you said though is that such 'promising 16 year olds' never develop their own self-discipline, because their parents are instead breathing down their neck for them.

These then go to university, where there is little/no parental control, and find out overnight that they have no self-discipline. The only reason they achieved anything up to that point in their lives was because they feared negative repercussions from their parents if they didn't.

Self-esteem, self-discipline, motivation, all need to be developed and can take years to grow back if they're sabotaged by crappy upbringings.

The good news though is they can grow back, but it requires the person to realise that their failures are not because "they are useless without their parents", which will only wreck their self-esteem even further. Their failures are because they lack the self-esteem in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending