The Student Room Group

Which EPQ topic is most suitable?

I'm thinking of doing either economics, finance or most likely accounting for university and I'm thinking which of these EPQ topics are best. You can rank them or simply say which one you think is better.

What effect does Illegal Immigration Have On The UK Economy?

How fair Is The Progressive Income Tax?

What effect Has Brexit Had On The UK Economy?

To what extent should non-profit organisations be given a rationale for tax exemption?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Original post by Black Sensei
I'm thinking of doing either economics, finance or most likely accounting for university and I'm thinking which of these EPQ topics are best. You can rank them or simply say which one you think is better.

What effect does Illegal Immigration Have On The UK Economy?

How fair Is The Progressive Income Tax?

What effect Has Brexit Had On The UK Economy?

To what extent should non-profit organisations be given a rationale for tax exemption?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I’d personally lean towards the third one, or perhaps the fourth one, but the choice is yours really - maybe do a little light research into all of them to see which topic interests you more. Good luck!
The Brexit one is a huge area, please avoid that one for your own sake.

Fair in what sense re progression income tax?

You need to add some further parameters to your questions in general, make them more targeted. What effect does illegal immigration in the 21st century have on the UK economy? To what extent should non-profits be exempt from tax in the UK?

I also think your illegal immigration idea isn't going to work because it's very hard to measure. So your sources will either be very vague and filled with caveats or they'll be from nutjob fringe publications that will be making it up.
Original post by 04MR17
The Brexit one is a huge area, please avoid that one for your own sake.

Fair in what sense re progression income tax?

You need to add some further parameters to your questions in general, make them more targeted. What effect does illegal immigration in the 21st century have on the UK economy? To what extent should non-profits be exempt from tax in the UK?

I also think your illegal immigration idea isn't going to work because it's very hard to measure. So your sources will either be very vague and filled with caveats or they'll be from nutjob fringe publications that will be making it up.

Thanks for the response, in regards to progressive income tax I was talking about whether people who earn more deserve to pay more tax or less tax.
Thanks for the response, in regards to progressive income tax I was talking about whether people who earn more deserve to pay more tax or less tax.
Then you might be better with something like:

To what extent can progression income tax in the UK be described as socially just?

Placing it in the UK context means you aren't generalising UK political conventions on the rest of the world and you'll have an easier time defining social justice and having some set criteria than the more ambiguous notion of something being fair.
Original post by 04MR17
Then you might be better with something like:

To what extent can progression income tax in the UK be described as socially just?

Placing it in the UK context means you aren't generalising UK political conventions on the rest of the world and you'll have an easier time defining social justice and having some set criteria than the more ambiguous notion of something being fair.

Thanks again for the advice. Would a title involving social justice be ok if I'm looking to do accounting, finance or economics for university?
Thanks again for the advice. Would a title involving social justice be ok if I'm looking to do accounting, finance or economics for university?

It will be absolutely fine, see here for more:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6158332
ooh I think you should go with the one you're most interested in, as it does involve a lot of research and can get boring if you don't have an interest in the topic! I think that titles 1 and 3 seem particularly broad, more so than the other two, so perhaps they may be more difficult as you should try to refine the topic slightly as otherwise you'll have so much to talk about! 5000 words seems loads, but it's so easy to run over! So perhaps 2 or 4?
Original post by 04MR17
It will be absolutely fine, see here for more:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6158332

Thanks for the link. I found the questions very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending