The Student Room Group

Economics Degree

Hey guys,

I am currently doing Biology, chemistry and geography A-Levels. I am really interested in human geography, which some people might refer to as consisting of some economics. Is this true? Also, I am going to be taking a gap year and doing A-Level maths, in order to do an economics degree.
Original post by Raja12
Hey guys,

I am currently doing Biology, chemistry and geography A-Levels. I am really interested in human geography, which some people might refer to as consisting of some economics. Is this true? Also, I am going to be taking a gap year and doing A-Level maths, in order to do an economics degree.

I would say economics in geography and economics in economics r on a totally different level like geography economics isn’t about maths at all really so I don’t think they r super comparable maybe just have some shared concepts ?
Reply 2
Original post by iracundus
I would say economics in geography and economics in economics r on a totally different level like geography economics isn’t about maths at all really so I don’t think they r super comparable maybe just have some shared concepts ?

yep thats what I was thinking too. Do you think if I find these concepts interesting, I should do an economics degree?
Original post by Raja12
yep thats what I was thinking too. Do you think if I find these concepts interesting, I should do an economics degree?

You should research more into Uni level economics; begin by looking at Economics A Level content to understand the basics - EconPlusDal’s YouTube is a great introduction. Take your time researching up the Universities you’re interested in and their course structures; there is a huge variety of economics degrees out there, from the usually less mathematical ones (BA) to the highly mathematical ones (BSc). There are some fab joint honours courses out there too - for example, Warwick Uni’s Economics and Global Sustainable Development course jumps into my mind as one you may like to check out.

As @iracundus points out, Uni level economics is so different to A Level Geography / A Level economics. Even for a less mathematical course, there is still a fair amount of pure maths and statistics content, with lots of Unis having mandatory modules like quantitative economics or econometrics for example.

Taking Maths A Level in your gap year will be useful; studying Further Maths and Economics would also be advantageous. You may like to try getting work experience such as an internship at a think tank or within the financial sector - bear in mind that finance is quite different from economics though.

In short: definitely do more research into the different courses available and their content. Khan Academy, EconPlusDal, YouTube, Warwick Uni and lots of other places have fantastic economics related resources to learn more, and reading some books from a Uni reading list would be worthwhile too. Best of luck!
Original post by Raja12

Yeah if you think you will enjoy it, maybe look into some economics degrees that have modules in similar things that interested u in human geography as some will have more units like this and some degrees might have more statistical units and maths type units (though all courses will have both of these aspects some will have more than others

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending