The Student Room Group

KCL LLB - Canadian Student *PLEASE HELP!*

I'm from Ontario and my overall grade 12 average is a 91.2%. They require a 90%, which is equal to an A*AA and I have just slightly above that. I also think I have a strong personal statement, an excellent reference and predict doing decently well on the LNAT.

The issue is that I am currently doing an undergraduate degree at a Canadian university. I'm in my second year of a science program and currently have a GPA of around 2.4/4.0 which is terrible and equal to a 2:2 classification.

I understand that they will look at my current GPA however I believe they will place stronger emphasis on my actual high school grades since that is what is required. Does anyone know if I actually stand a chance at getting in? Thanks in advance!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hugopez
I'm from Ontario and my overall grade 12 average is a 91.2%. They require a 90%, which is equal to an A*AA and I have just slightly above that. I also think I have a strong personal statement, an excellent reference and predict doing decently well on the LNAT.

The issue is that I am currently doing an undergraduate degree at a Canadian university. I'm in my second year of a science program and currently have a GPA of around 2.4/4.0 which is terrible and equal to a 2:2 classification. (If I was accepted, I'd essentially be dropping out of my current school)

I understand that they will look at my current GPA however I believe they will place stronger emphasis on my actual high school grades since that is what is required. Does anyone know if I actually stand a chance at getting in? Thanks in advance!

Kings Admissions will know. I suggest you send them an email explaining your background and asking if you would be considered a good candidate for the law degree if you do well on the LNAT
Original post by harrysbar
Kings Admissions will know. I suggest you send them an email explaining your background and asking if you would be considered a good candidate for the law degree if you do well on the LNAT

Hi harrysbar, thank you for your reply. I have emailed King's a few weeks ago and tried again more recently but did not receive a reply. I'm just going take the chance and hope for the best. Do you personally have an opinion on my chances at getting accepted to King's or Durham? Thanks again!
Original post by hugopez
Hi harrysbar, thank you for your reply. I have emailed King's a few weeks ago and tried again more recently but did not receive a reply. I'm just going take the chance and hope for the best. Do you personally have an opinion on my chances at getting accepted to King's or Durham? Thanks again!

KCL is one of the most popular law schools in the world. So there is 'fierce' competition for places. Durham is even more competitive. Both are A*AA.

However, you might want to consider Royal Holloway, University of London or SOAS, University of London. SOAS can lower the offer to ABB if they're impressed with your LNAT score.

Also consider City University, University of London which is ABB - BBB and no LNAT.
Original post by thegeek888
KCL is one of the most popular law schools in the world. So there is 'fierce' competition for places. Durham is even more competitive. Both are A*AA.

However, you might want to consider Royal Holloway, University of London or SOAS, University of London. SOAS can lower the offer to ABB if they're impressed with your LNAT score.

Also consider City University, University of London which is ABB - BBB and no LNAT.

Hi thegeek888, I’m strongly aware of the competition regarding admission to the law programs at both of these schools, however with my A*AA equivalent and (hopefully) a high LNAT score, wouldn’t it be at least worth a try applying? I also want to add that my grades equal to an A*AA aren’t predicted grades, but already achieved.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hugopez

I think it definitely is worth trying since you meet the entry requirements of A*AA equivalency and the same with Durham. The fact that you are not doing so well on your current course should not prevent them from giving you offers since Law is different from Science and it may be that you just didn't choose the best subject for you first time around (which is fairly common and not something unis normally hold against applicants).

I would also apply to at least one or two non LNAT unis as well - Queen Marys is considered the next best one in London. They ask for A*AA (or equivalent) but are less competitive in reality. There are also lots of other good non LNAT unis outside London.
Original post by hugopez
Hi thegeek888, I’m strongly aware of the competition regarding admission to the law programs at both of these schools, however with my A*AA equivalent and (hopefully) a high LNAT score, wouldn’t it be at least worth a try applying? I also want to add that my grades equal to an A*AA aren’t predicted grades, but already achieved.

Yes you should apply to KCL and Durham and perhaps also consider City or SOAS or even Queen Mary as they're also leading law schools in London.

You have a strong chance as you've already achieved the equivalent of A*AA.

Now you need to practice essay writing and read the newspapers for topics that could appear in the LNAT.

Why not also consider Oxford or Cambridge since you meet their conditions too?
Original post by thegeek888
Yes you should apply to KCL and Durham and perhaps also consider City or SOAS or even Queen Mary as they're also leading law schools in London.

You have a strong chance as you've already achieved the equivalent of A*AA.

Now you need to practice essay writing and read the newspapers for topics that could appear in the LNAT.

Why not also consider Oxford or Cambridge since you meet their conditions too?

Thank you for your reply! I already have my list of schools that I plan on applying to which I will list below. I only want to study in London if I get into a school that I really want, specifically KCL. I have looked into those schools but don't interest me too much and I don't want to pay London living costs if I'm not completely happy with the school.My choices are;

1. KCL
2. Durham
3. Uni of Nottingham
4. Uni of York (my current university teaches via PBL so their law course interested me for this purpose)
5. Uni of Birmingham

What are your thoughts on those schools? I really don't think I am good enough for Oxford or Cambridge and as much as I wish my grades are enough (which they are), I just don't think I'm a competitive enough candidate.
(edited 3 years ago)
I think it definitely is worth trying since you meet the entry requirements of A*AA equivalency and the same with Durham. The fact that you are not doing so well on your current course should not prevent them from giving you offers since Law is different from Science and it may be that you just didn't choose the best subject for you first time around (which is fairly common and not something unis normally hold against applicants).

I would also apply to at least one or two non LNAT unis as well - Queen Marys is considered the next best one in London. They ask for A*AA (or equivalent) but are less competitive in reality. There are also lots of other good non LNAT unis outside London.

Hi again! I have chosen two non-LNAT schools to apply to which are the Universities of York and Birmingham. I really liked the look of York's law program and I currently learn via PBL at my current university so I believe this could potentially make me a good candidate for this course in particular. I am hoping that my low uni GPA won't be weighted too heavily as it does not reflect my academic abilities.

If you are able to provide any advice regarding my reference, I would like to know your opinion on getting a reference from a teacher who taught me English in my final year of high school. I know it may damage my application as it is not a reference from my most recent institution, however this teacher is able to comment on my capabilities, etc. The reason I can't get a reference from my current uni is because my class sizes have been 400+ people and I don't have a relationship with any of my professors or tutors.
I would rather not take the risk of not disclosing my university marks as I'm sure this will come back to haunt me and I want to be admitted into a school as an honest applicant. I have looked into both of those schools and I agree, while they are still decent schools, I don't think it's worth it to pay international fees for. I also think my grades are strong enough to push for better schools. I'll be applying to:

1. KCL
2. Durham
3. Uni of Notts
4. Uni of York
5. Uni of Birmingham

What are your thoughts on these? Also, as you can see I'll be applying to 3 LNAT schools, however I've been practicing using Arbitio and have only been averaging about 19/20 which is a very low score so my LNAT school prospects are not looking great.

Sorry - I'd also like to add that I've been preparing through Arbitio and have only been scoring 19/20 on their practice tests. This is not great as I should be aiming for close to 28-30+ if I want to get into KCL or Durham. Do you still think it's worth applying to these schools given my low practice scores? Thank you!
Original post by hugopez
Sorry - I'd also like to add that I've been preparing through Arbitio and have only been scoring 19/20 on their practice tests. This is not great as I should be aiming for close to 28-30+ if I want to get into KCL or Durham. Do you still think it's worth applying to these schools given my low practice scores? Thank you!

I wouldn't say 19/20 is a very low score at this stage, you can certainly improve before you have to take it and you won't need such a high score as 28 for Nottingham or possibly Durham (plus York & Birmingham are non LNAT anyway).

This is the LNAT thread from last year to get some idea of scores

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6116192
I wouldn't say 19/20 is a very low score at this stage, you can certainly improve before you have to take it and you won't need such a high score as 28 for Nottingham or possibly Durham (plus York & Birmingham are non LNAT anyway).

This is the LNAT thread from last year to get some idea of scores

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6116192

Thanks - I just checked out the thread and it seems that Arbitio isn't designed to be easy so hopefully my practice scores on their website does not reflect what my actual score will be! Any chance you'd be able to comment on my reference situation I mentioned above?
I have read that Arbitio is known for being much harder than the actual LNAT in order to better prepare students when the time comes to sit the test. I did some research and most people end up scoring 7-10 points higher than their Arbitio practice score, so hopefully these schools will be more realistic than aspirational choices.
Have you considered the graduate llb? Done in 2 years rather than 3. 50% if this years cohort is Canadian at my university (qmul)
Also called senior status.
I think qmul is highest ranked London university that does it, but others do too (oxford etc)
Original post by Catherine1973
Have you considered the graduate llb? Done in 2 years rather than 3. 50% if this years cohort is Canadian at my university (qmul)
Also called senior status.
I think qmul is highest ranked London university that does it, but others do too (oxford etc)

Hi! I have considered the Senior Status LLB programs, however I would personally prefer to complete a 3 year LLB instead for various reasons. I'm not too bothered about going to a university with loads of Canadian students as I am originally from England so I'll be good wherever :smile: Where else did you apply and what was your LNAT score (given you wrote it) if you don't mind me asking? Thanks for the advice!
Original post by hugopez
Any chance you'd be able to comment on my reference situation I mentioned above?

Re your reference it is conventional wisdom that you should ask your current uni even if they barely know you.

But in reality you can ask your school as long you didn't leave it too long ago. My son used his old school for a reference rather than a uni he attended for 18 months and he still got offers from all his unis which included Exeter, Leeds & Birmingham
Re your reference it is conventional wisdom that you should ask your current uni even if they barely know you.

But in reality you can ask your school as long you didn't leave it too long ago. My son used his old school for a reference rather than a uni he attended for 18 months and he still got offers from all his unis which included Exeter, Leeds & Birmingham

I have tried most of my professors but they said that they either did not have the time due to their research projects or that they can't comment on my abilities due to the lack of a personal relationship, etc. I graduated from my high school in 2018 so it has been 2 years since attending. Do you think the universities I am applying to will request a more recent reference instead and if so, would it be acceptable if I explained my efforts for providing a uni reference but due to the reasons I have listed above, I was not successful? Thank you.
Original post by hugopez
Hi! I have considered the Senior Status LLB programs, however I would personally prefer to complete a 3 year LLB instead for various reasons. I'm not too bothered about going to a university with loads of Canadian students as I am originally from England so I'll be good wherever :smile: Where else did you apply and what was your LNAT score (given you wrote it) if you don't mind me asking? Thanks for the advice!

I assume they all do 2 year as lots cheaper. Only a few uk based people in the cohort.
I didn’t do lnat as none of the London ones wanted it for graduate entry.
I applied qmul, city, university of law. Greenwich and (do not apply here) Bloomsbury institute. Unconditional Offers from all as my degree was all done a long while ago.
Original post by hugopez
I have tried most of my professors but they said that they either did not have the time due to their research projects or that they can't comment on my abilities due to the lack of a personal relationship, etc. I graduated from my high school in 2018 so it has been 2 years since attending. Do you think the universities I am applying to will request a more recent reference instead and if so, would it be acceptable if I explained my efforts for providing a uni reference but due to the reasons I have listed above, I was not successful? Thank you.

I don't think 2018 is too long ago so I would use your school. If any uni has a problem with that they will ask you to provide a more recent reference but I doubt that will happen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending