The Student Room Group

Surgeons ignore me on ward round

Is this normal?

I’m a final year med student.

Scroll to see replies

Probably. To them you’re just a student. And surgeons all have a god complex anyways so...p
Why are you doing one thread about feeling ignored and another criticising those with more experience? That’s probably why they ignore you. They know what they’re doing.
Reply 3
How am I criticising? I literally stood in the corner of a lap Chole today. I introduced myself to everyone but the surgeon didn’t even look at me once ://
Yeah, sounds pretty normal.
Original post by Nnahahahah
Is this normal?

I’m a final year med student.

Pretty much. Surgical ward rounds aren't known for being chatty occasions.

How am I criticising? I literally stood in the corner of a lap Chole today. I introduced myself to everyone but the surgeon didn’t even look at me once ://

This is the classic med student on general surgery experience. Next stop: getting grilled on pre-clinical anatomy :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
sounds normal to me.

even as a junior F1 looking after surgical patients, the surgeons would even ignore questions relating to patient care or brush it aside.
I just ask the reg most of the time.
£210 per day per student #valueformoney
Reply 8
completely normal to stand in the corner of theatre. You can actually move you know, yourself - as long as you don't touch anything sterile or get in their way/block the anathesatist they won't care. Maybe don't move in an ortho's theatre unless invited. They are particularly particular and rather volatile :wink:

When I watch 24hrs in ED type programmes we play "spot the med student" - mostly found in the corners of anything going on :tongue:
If you've got to final year only having been ignored once, then honestly you've done well.
I tried asking a question during ward rounds and he interrupted me half way and started talking to his junior about something else... then he grilled me on a few questions, then completely ignored me for the rest of the day. We only had three patients to see...
I tried asking a question during ward rounds and he interrupted me half way and started talking to his junior about something else... then he grilled me on a few questions, then completely ignored me for the rest of the day. We only had three patients to see...

That’s what happens. If you can’t handle it then maybe it isn’t the career for you.
They do it to student nursing staff as well as they usually concentrating on there patients they attending to on ward rounds.
Its nothing against any junior staff and as ecolier said any questions ask the registration or another consultant or even the senior ward sister in charge because they will defo answer your points .

Dude, if they stop and actually do some teaching the ward round might go on for ages - perhaps even longer than 10 minutes!!

Original post by Anonymous3245
That’s what happens. If you can’t handle it then maybe it isn’t the career for you.

Lol wut.
Original post by Anonymous3245

:troll:
Original post by Democracy
Lol wut.

We only had three patients to see? And he went for a break afterwards.
I’m a radiographer and I always get ignored in surgery and when I don’t the surgeon always shouts “X-RAY!!” when he wants a view. That’s about the only conversation I get with surgeons and they’re all like that when they’re trying to concentrate.
We only had three patients to see? And he went for a break afterwards.

To be honest with you I haven't seem any surgeons not letting a student medical staff or junior doctor allowed to ask anything when I went round with them on during my student nursing days and even now when they are present on the ward which isn't to often as we deal with everything generally except in emergency cases, but don't get me wrong ok as it sometimes happens they won't let there junior medical staff answer anything .
Every hospital surgeons does things differently throughout UK and even on different wards as well .

Well once a surgeon does his rounds then they go away and prepare for any operations they may to do or outpatient clinics but will take there break in between which is not breaking any rules .
You'll get your breaks as well don't you.
Original post by Fermion.
I’m a radiographer and I always get ignored in surgery and when I don’t the surgeon always shouts “X-RAY!!” when he wants a view. That’s about the only conversation I get with surgeons and they’re all like that when they’re trying to concentrate.

They [the department] probably aren't being paid £210 per day to teach you though.
Original post by nexttime
They [the department] probably aren't being paid £210 per day to teach you though.

XD so true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending