The Student Room Group

A level physics or psychology?

@5hyl33n

Hi,I'm taking maths and business this year and for my third subject I'm trying to decide between physics and psychology. I've weighed the pros and cons of each and what I've got is

Pros for physics : mark scheme and questions looks easy and not too specifuc and harshAharsh bio (is this true?)
Loads of maths is repeated like mechanics etc which I'm good at.
Cons:. I found quite a few of the later topics in GCSE really hard to understand or I just hated them like all the stuff about pressure, motion and velocity and the magnet stuff and lenses stuff. (I'm not a big fan of waves either) are these really big topics in Alevel physics and would I find the other topics too challenging to understand? I'm the kind of person that has to come out of the lesson and reread and learn everything we covered in the physics lesson to make sure I actually sort of understand it.

However I used to always get grade 8's (A*) in my mocks, sometimes because the grade boundaries were so low due to his hard the paper would be.Would I find physics too hard or manageable?

I was set on psychology because I like how interesting a few of the topics were and how I can apply them to the real world. But I'm worried that I'll hate all the essay writing and evaluations and I'll hate all he case studies. I'm the kind of person that procrastinates when I have essays to do, unless there's a really straightforward structure to follow (unlike GCSE history so if it is similar to GCSE history could you please let me know?) I'm also not that great at time management in exams when it comes to essays.With all this in mind, do you think I should choose Psychology, physics or something else entirely (like bio, theology or health and social care?)I'm so sorry about my detailed comment I just really need the advice!! If you take the time out to read it I'd SERIOUSLY appreciate it ahahaha
A-level psych is pretty much all memorisation. Barely any thinking, just ticking off a checklist when writing essays questions. I personally think you'll be a lot better off with physics. It's harder but more interesting and well respected overall. Not much memorisation but the questions require a lot of thinking and application
hey! i don't have any advise on the physics i'm afraid, but i do take aqa psychology!

i really love how interesting the subject is and it really does make you think more about things/people/even yourself a bit more! the exam structure isn't too bad for aqa - there are low mark questions (1 or 2 marks), mid-range questions (4/6 marks) and then longer exam questions (8 or 16 markers). The 16 markers can be a bit intimidating, especially if its's a topic you're not particularly keen on, but at my school at least, we're provided with a rough structure to follow. You provide the AO1 content (outlining/describing the research or theory), then separately evaluate using the PEEL structure several times.

Yes, there are quite a few evaluations that you have to memorise, but it's not too bad and sometimes evaluations can be quite generic/applied to multiple studies. Time management wise, it can be hard (especially if there are several longer questions) but it all comes with practise! you may struggle at first with finishing a paper but as you learn more and practise exam technique, you do feel more comfortable with the timings! It's generally a mark a minute, but obviously the time you save from the 1/2 markers can be used as extra when you write the longer questions!

hope this somewhat helps, any questions, just ask!
What would you like to study at university?
Hi!

Physics

Pros:
Mark scheme and questions looks easy and not too specific and harsh (is this true?)
The mark scheme's do look easy but when you look at the question it's a different story. What you will find is that the questions in Physics repeat with different scenarios but the mark schemes are almost always similar.
That's great! I personally did not take Maths A-Level so I am at a slight disadvantage but it's not very difficult. I know Maths A-Level and Physics A-Level both have a mechanics section but the mechanics section in Physics A-Level comes across as a bit more easier.

Cons:.
I found quite a few of the later topics in GCSE really hard to understand or I just hated them like all the stuff about pressure, motion and velocity and the magnet stuff and lenses stuff.
My teacher spent 2 weeks revising all the GCSE content we need to know. Perhaps, to prepare yourself for Physics A-Level you could revise the GCSE content in the summer?
I'm not a big fan of waves either, are these really big topics in A-level physics?
The waves topic is quite big but not hard at all! Remember I don't take A-Level Maths so if I'm finding it bearable, I'm sure you will too. :smile:
Would I find the other topics too challenging to understand? I'm the kind of person that has to come out of the lesson and reread and learn everything we covered in the physics lesson to make sure I actually sort of understand it.
I'm pretty sure almost everyone is like that. Nobody comes out of an A-Level Physics lesson knowing everything. If you do, you must be VERY smart! :lol:
I'm not sure if you will find the other topics too challenging, unfortunately.
However I used to always get grade 8's (A*) in my mocks, sometimes because the grade boundaries were so low due to his hard the paper would be. Would I find physics too hard or manageable?
What marks were you averaging in your tests?

Psychology

I was set on psychology because I like how interesting a few of the topics were and how I can apply them to the real world. But I'm worried that I'll hate all the essay writing and evaluations and I'll hate all the case studies.
If it helps, I could send a few of the case studies and you can take a look and decide whether you see yourself learning them? I can do the same for a few evaluations and how it works?
I'm the kind of person that procrastinates when I have essays to do, unless there's a really straightforward structure to follow (unlike GCSE history so if it is similar to GCSE history could you please let me know?
The great thing about A-Level Psychology is that the questions repeat with different scenarios. Below is the mark breakdown:
AS Psychology - the highest amount of marks available for the essay questions is 12 marks.
A-Level Psychology - the highest amount of marks available for the essay questions is 16 marks.
I'm also not that great at time management in exams when it comes to essays.With all this in mind, do you think I should choose Psychology, physics or something else entirely (like bio, theology or health and social care?)
I think that is something that can be learnt so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your time management changes drastically in A-Levels - well for me anyway it did.

I'm so sorry about my detailed comment I just really need the advice!! If you take the time out to read it I'd SERIOUSLY appreciate it ahahaha.
No problem! I'm always happy to help! Feel free to ask me any more questions!

Hopefully, this helps but if you still can't decide, why don't you take both subjects and drop one later? :smile:

@Plantsarelife
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi!

Physics

Pros:
Mark scheme and questions looks easy and not too specific and harsh (is this true?)
The mark scheme's do look easy but when you look at the question it's a different story. What you will find is that the questions in Physics repeat with different scenarios but the mark schemes are almost always similar.
That's great! I personally did not take Maths A-Level so I am at a slight disadvantage but it's not very difficult. I know Maths A-Level and Physics A-Level both have a mechanics section but the mechanics section in Physics A-Level comes across as a bit more easier.

Cons:.
I found quite a few of the later topics in GCSE really hard to understand or I just hated them like all the stuff about pressure, motion and velocity and the magnet stuff and lenses stuff.
My teacher spent 2 weeks revising all the GCSE content we need to know. Perhaps, to prepare yourself for Physics A-Level you could revise the GCSE content in the summer?
I'm not a big fan of waves either, are these really big topics in A-level physics?
The waves topic is quite big but not hard at all! Remember I don't take A-Level Maths so if I'm finding it bearable, I'm sure you will too. :smile:
Would I find the other topics too challenging to understand? I'm the kind of person that has to come out of the lesson and reread and learn everything we covered in the physics lesson to make sure I actually sort of understand it.
I'm pretty sure almost everyone is like that. Nobody comes out of an A-Level Physics lesson knowing everything. If you do, you must be VERY smart! :lol:
I'm not sure if you will find the other topics too challenging, unfortunately.
However I used to always get grade 8's (A*) in my mocks, sometimes because the grade boundaries were so low due to his hard the paper would be. Would I find physics too hard or manageable?
What marks were you averaging in your tests?

Psychology

I was set on psychology because I like how interesting a few of the topics were and how I can apply them to the real world. But I'm worried that I'll hate all the essay writing and evaluations and I'll hate all the case studies.
If it helps, I could send a few of the case studies and you can take a look and decide whether you see yourself learning them? I can do the same for a few evaluations and how it works?
I'm the kind of person that procrastinates when I have essays to do, unless there's a really straightforward structure to follow (unlike GCSE history so if it is similar to GCSE history could you please let me know?
The great thing about A-Level Psychology is that the questions repeat with different scenarios. Below is the mark breakdown:
AS Psychology - the highest amount of marks available for the essay questions is 12 marks.
A-Level Psychology - the highest amount of marks available for the essay questions is 16 marks.
I'm also not that great at time management in exams when it comes to essays.With all this in mind, do you think I should choose Psychology, physics or something else entirely (like bio, theology or health and social care?)
I think that is something that can be learnt so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your time management changes drastically in A-Levels - well for me anyway it did.

I'm so sorry about my detailed comment I just really need the advice!! If you take the time out to read it I'd SERIOUSLY appreciate it ahahaha.
No problem! I'm always happy to help! Feel free to ask me any more questions!

Hopefully, this helps but if you still can't decide, why don't you take both subjects and drop one later? :smile:

@Plantsarelife

Thanks for your reply!
For physics, so do the questions become easier since they're repetitive or is the application still difficult? Are the non maths questions all application too?
Since I'm taking business and maths, I've been trying to find a third A-level and if I don't pick an essay based subject for my third (this is another decision I'm toying with ahaha) then I'd definitely pick physics out of bio and chem for my science subject, especially because of the maths overlap.

For psychology, thank you so much for the offer, that's so kind! I wouldn't want to be any trouble so only if it doesn't take up too much of your time! I'd love to see some example and if there's a general essay structure that's easy to follow.
I'm not as worried about the time management anymore so thank you!
Physics will be of use, i have a post grad psychology qualification and it's useless.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by HelloVoid
A-level psych is pretty much all memorisation. Barely any thinking, just ticking off a checklist when writing essays questions. I personally think you'll be a lot better off with physics. It's harder but more interesting and well respected overall. Not much memorisation but the questions require a lot of thinking and application

Thank you for your reply! So is writing the essays just too dull or nice and easy?
Yeah I think I'd find it more interesting but I don't think I'll necessarily need it for any future uni course or apprenticeship so I'm wondering whether it's worth all of the hard work? But at the same time, as you said, it's well respected and therefore helps to keep my options open.
Original post by Plantsarelife
Thanks for your reply!
For physics, so do the questions become easier since they're repetitive or is the application still difficult? Are the non maths questions all application too?
Since I'm taking business and maths, I've been trying to find a third A-level and if I don't pick an essay based subject for my third (this is another decision I'm toying with ahaha) then I'd definitely pick physics out of bio and chem for my science subject, especially because of the maths overlap.

For psychology, thank you so much for the offer, that's so kind! I wouldn't want to be any trouble so only if it doesn't take up too much of your time! I'd love to see some example and if there's a general essay structure that's easy to follow.

Thanks for your reply!
No problem! I'm happy to help!

With more practice the questions will definitely become easier! I find the multiple-choice questions very difficult because they never seem to repeat.
The way I see it is that the Physics exam is about 60% Maths and 40% content (maybe even less for content and more for Maths). I find the content questions also repeat as it sometimes just asks for the definition of a keyword or to label a diagram.

The way I see it, business is kind of like an essay subject but it really depends on what you want to do at university. Have you thought about a career path yet? :smile:

Yes, of course! I will post it on this thread sometime tomorrow.

Great!
Original post by sunsetpeony
hey! i don't have any advise on the physics i'm afraid, but i do take aqa psychology!

i really love how interesting the subject is and it really does make you think more about things/people/even yourself a bit more! the exam structure isn't too bad for aqa - there are low mark questions (1 or 2 marks), mid-range questions (4/6 marks) and then longer exam questions (8 or 16 markers). The 16 markers can be a bit intimidating, especially if its's a topic you're not particularly keen on, but at my school at least, we're provided with a rough structure to follow. You provide the AO1 content (outlining/describing the research or theory), then separately evaluate using the PEEL structure several times.

Yes, there are quite a few evaluations that you have to memorise, but it's not too bad and sometimes evaluations can be quite generic/applied to multiple studies. Time management wise, it can be hard (especially if there are several longer questions) but it all comes with practise! you may struggle at first with finishing a paper but as you learn more and practise exam technique, you do feel more comfortable with the timings! It's generally a mark a minute, but obviously the time you save from the 1/2 markers can be used as extra when you write the longer questions!

hope this somewhat helps, any questions, just ask!

Thank you so much, it definitely helps!
Did you do GCSE RE? Because the way you described the essay structure and exam reminds me of the exam structure in GCSE RE which I found really straightforward to follow and always did well in the exams so if psychology is similar, thats something I'd consider!
Original post by 5hyl33n
Thanks for your reply!
No problem! I'm happy to help!

With more practice the questions will definitely become easier! I find the multiple-choice questions very difficult because they never seem to repeat.
The way I see it is that the Physics exam is about 60% Maths and 40% content (maybe even less for content and more for Maths). I find the content questions also repeat as it sometimes just asks for the definition of a keyword or to label a diagram.

The way I see it, business is kind of like an essay subject but it really depends on what you want to do at university. Have you thought about a career path yet? :smile:

Yes, of course! I will post it on this thread sometime tomorrow.

Great!

This is such a comfort to know, thank you! I don't think I've ever had so many multiple choice questions in an exam so I have no idea what that's going to be like but I'm just hoping it's either easy marks or something thats not a huge loss of marks!

How do you revise for it?

And that is true, I could use business as my essay based subject. Do you think doing physics and maths would be easier because of the overlap than doing maths and a completely different subject?
In terms of career path, I don't have a uni course in mind but I'd definitely apply for a higher or degree apprenticeship, I still have to look into which ones I'd be interested in.
And take your time about the evaluations and case studies, seriously only when you get a chance whenever!
This is such a comfort to know, thank you! I don't think I've ever had so many multiple choice questions in an exam so I have no idea what that's going to be like but I'm just hoping it's either easy marks or something thats not a huge loss of marks!

No problem! Perhaps, look at some past papers to see what the multiple-choice questions are like.
The way I revise for the multiple-choice is by picking a question and then annotating it with all the relevant content and formula's I need to know. I will be working more on the multiple choice questions in the Summer.

And that is true, I could use business as my essay based subject. Do you think doing physics and maths would be easier because of the overlap than doing maths and a completely different subject?
Definitely! Physics and Maths is one good combination. Otherwise, Chemistry, Maths and Business or Computer Science, Maths and Business are also good combinations.

In terms of career path, I don't have a uni course in mind but I'd definitely apply for a higher or degree apprenticeship, I still have to look into which ones I'd be interested in.
That's fine. Perhaps, take these Summer holidays to research a degree as year 12 flies by and soon you will be writing your Personal Statement!

And take your time about the evaluations and case studies, seriously only when you get a chance whenever!

Thank you! I will definitely send it by Monday.
Original post by 5hyl33n

No problem! Perhaps, look at some past papers to see what the multiple-choice questions are like.
The way I revise for the multiple-choice is by picking a question and then annotating it with all the relevant content and formula's I need to know. I will be working more on the multiple choice questions in the Summer.

Definitely! Physics and Maths is one good combination. Otherwise, Chemistry, Maths and Business or Computer Science, Maths and Business are also good combinations.

That's fine. Perhaps, take these Summer holidays to research a degree as year 12 flies by and soon you will be writing your Personal Statement!

Thank you! I will definitely send it by Monday.

Thank you, I'll definitely take all of your advice!
@5hyl33n

Hi,I'm taking maths and business this year and for my third subject I'm trying to decide between physics and psychology. I've weighed the pros and cons of each and what I've got is

Pros for physics : mark scheme and questions looks easy and not too specifuc and harshAharsh bio (is this true?)
Cons:. I found quite a few of the later topics in GCSE really hard to understand or I just hated them like all the stuff about pressure, motion and velocity and the magnet stuff and lenses stuff. (I'm not a big fan of waves either) are these really big topics in Alevel physics and would I find the other topics too challenging to understand? I'm the kind of person that has to come out of the lesson and reread and learn everything we covered in the physics lesson to make sure I actually sort of understand it.

However I used to always get grade 8's (A*) in my mocks, sometimes because the grade boundaries were so low due to his hard the paper would be.Would I find physics too hard or manageable?

I was set on psychology because I like how interesting a few of the topics were and how I can apply them to the real world. But I'm worried that I'll hate all the essay writing and evaluations and I'll hate all he case studies. I'm the kind of person that procrastinates when I have essays to do, unless there's a really straightforward structure to follow (unlike GCSE history so if it is similar to GCSE history could you please let me know?) I'm also not that great at time management in exams when it comes to essays.With all this in mind, do you think I should choose Psychology, physics or something else entirely (like bio, theology or health and social care?)I'm so sorry about my detailed comment I just really need the advice!! If you take the time out to read it I'd SERIOUSLY appreciate it ahahaha

If you are equally good at both subjects, it is more likely (obv not certain though) you’ll get a better grade with Psychology, therefore if you’re applying for a degree which doesn’t require certain subjects and just general grades eg AAA in any subjects excluding general studies and critical thinking, then it would be better to study psychology. It is also considered a respectable subject. I think physics would only be more useful if it was required eg engineering or if you did a very maths based subject.

Overall physics is def more prestigious but it depends what your goals are
Thank you so much, it definitely helps!
Did you do GCSE RE? Because the way you described the essay structure and exam reminds me of the exam structure in GCSE RE which I found really straightforward to follow and always did well in the exams so if psychology is similar, thats something I'd consider!

yes I did! honestly I hadn't even thought about it being similar to RE, so maybe it's just different specs! but i remember the 12 markers in RE being quite pushed for time, and that is a bit similar to psych!

maybe look at some exam question examples for your spec? this page really helped me in the first months of doing psych, so maybe it will help you too! good luck with whatever you pick!

Quick Reply

Latest