The Student Room Group

Criminology Uni Help

Hi so I have 3 main options for university this September.

Criminology @ DMU Leicester
Criminology @ Leicester
Criminology and Forensic Studies @ Portsmouth

I’m worried about diversity at Portsmouth as I would like to meet a variety of people and looking at admission stats for the university shows that diversity isn’t their strong point. However they are top 5 for criminology right now.

Both Leicester universities are more diverse but the criminology departments at either university aren’t we highly ranked and both are just criminology on its own, no forensics, criminal justice etc which I prefer. DMU does have nicer accommodation out of the 3 that I can see me living in, and Leicester doesn’t have great accommodation but they are one of the only universities with a whole school/department dedicated to criminology which makes me think it’s better than the ranks make it seem.

Help pleaseeee. With no open days I really have nothing to judge. Modules are very similar between courses.
First off, are those really your only options? What is you reason for those three?
also lots of unis are doing internet open days have you checked to see if they are doing them. My advice is to figure out which is most important to you: the diversity or the actual course. Good Luck xx
Original post by Erin.louise
First off, are those really your only options? What is you reason for those three?
also lots of unis are doing internet open days have you checked to see if they are doing them. My advice is to figure out which is most important to you: the diversity or the actual course. Good Luck xx

Hey

I have quite a few more options actually, I have 8 in total

UCAS
- Criminology @ Goldsmiths London
- Criminology & Criminal Justice @ Greenwich
- Criminology & Criminal Justice @ East London
- Criminology, Policing and Forensics @ West London
- Criminology & Forensic Psychology @ Kingston

The following universities want me to apply through clearing and have said I will be accepted if I do apply:
- Criminology @ Leicester
- Criminology @ De Montford

Applied directly and offered a place
- Criminology & Forensic Studies @ Portsmouth

My original UCAS choices were all in London as I live there and thought student finance issues would prevent me moving out but that’s been fixed. Honestly virtual open days, they all say the same thing nothing is standing out at all. They all do trips to local prisons, they all offer careers advice, they’re all claiming to do the same thing. :frown:
Original post by SweetCheeks18
Hey

UCAS

The following universities want me to apply through clearing and have said I will be accepted if I do apply:

My original UCAS choices were all in London as I live there and thought student finance issues would prevent me moving out but that’s been fixed. Honestly virtual open days, they all say the same thing nothing is standing out at all. They all do trips to local prisons, they all offer careers advice, they’re all claiming to do the same thing. :frown:

Have you tried reaching out to previous students? they are usually very helpful when asked about their university experiences.
And if all of the university’s are saying the same thing go with the ones that include the diversity that you were interested in as that was one of the things that stood out to you. xx
Hey

UCAS

Hi there, it's great to hear that you're considering applying to Goldsmiths via Clearing!

If you'd like to ask more in depth questions about the BA Criminology programme, we are offering virtual undergraduate open days this week! As BA Criminology sits within our Department of Sociology, I'd recommend signing up for their talk this Friday.

To apply or register your interest for Clearing, see our Clearing hub.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

-Miranda
Original post by Goldsmiths, University of London
Hi there, it's great to hear that you're considering applying to Goldsmiths via Clearing!

If you'd like to ask more in depth questions about the BA Criminology programme, we are offering virtual undergraduate open days this week! As BA Criminology sits within our Department of Sociology, I'd recommend signing up for their talk this Friday.

To apply or register your interest for Clearing, see our Clearing hub.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

-Miranda

Hi

I actually already have an unconditional offer to study criminology. As @Erin.louise suggested I think it would be a good idea to speak to current crim students at all the universities. How would I do this?
Hi

I actually already have an unconditional offer to study criminology. As @Erin.louise suggested I think it would be a good idea to speak to current crim students at all the universities. How would I do this?

If you're interested in speaking with current Goldsmiths students - you can use our Unibuddy chat service here. We do have a student who studies Sociology and Criminology on the platform, so feel free to ask any questions you have about studying on the programme. :smile:

Hope this helps!

-Miranda
Hey

UCAS

What offer is Leicester giving you?
Original post by Bckbnkvbjgg
What offer is Leicester giving you?

Nothing, the course director and admissions said they’re happy to accept me through clearing if I were to apply.
Nothing, the course director and admissions said they’re happy to accept me through clearing if I were to apply.

U got grades?
Original post by Bckbnkvbjgg
U got grades?

No grades but I managed to get into the unis by extenuating circumstances, I guess you could call it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending