The Student Room Group

A level alternatives?

Hi,
Our son is awaiting GCSEs results.
His A level choices are limited in current school....to subjects not really linked to his passions.

With him not being that academic, and predicted to get mostly C grades,
and strong interests in technology, gaming and media, we were wondering about A level alternatives?

We are currently overseas, but intending to relocate to U.K. ASAP.

Would we better consider Advanced/Intermediate Apprenticeship?
NVQ? BTEC?
Are these easily accessible in all of England?
The applications to apply for an apprenticeship are probably over now. You could try looking at some colleges close to where you’re moving to and seeing if they have any spaces left/what BTECs they offer?
Original post by Expatcominghome
Hi,
Our son is awaiting GCSEs results.
His A level choices are limited in current school....to subjects not really linked to his passions.

With him not being that academic, and predicted to get mostly C grades,
and strong interests in technology, gaming and media, we were wondering about A level alternatives?

We are currently overseas, but intending to relocate to U.K. ASAP.

Would we better consider Advanced/Intermediate Apprenticeship?
NVQ? BTEC?
Are these easily accessible in all of England?

I did an access course to get into university but i was 18+ i did nvq's at 16 they didn't get me anything, the army wouldn't even accept them as equivalent to 2 gcse's so i could become an MP.
His best option would be BTEC'S and most colleges offer them. Nearly all universities accept them except Cambridge and 1 or 2 in London. They usually have them available in IT, Applied Science, Engineering and Computing. Not all colleges will offer everyone but he would need to check with colleges close to where you will be living. The general requirements to take a level 3 extended diploma which is classed as 3 A levels is 5 GCSEs at grade c or above and for this kind of subject Maths GCSE at least grade C is normally required.
one of my friends went to college to do game design, look at some courses at colleges :smile:
Thanks so much for these useful replies.
1. BTECs....do we need to pay for these? I guess they have a website?
2. Computer Gaming Design sounds interesting...any more information on requirements to enter courses and places to study?
This is a great forum,
Regards.
Original post by Expatcominghome
Thanks so much for these useful replies.
1. BTECs....do we need to pay for these? I guess they have a website?
2. Computer Gaming Design sounds interesting...any more information on requirements to enter courses and places to study?
This is a great forum,
Regards.

Generally btec's are treated the same for funding as A levels. Students dont pay for them. I dont know what the funding situation will be for as someone from overseas.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals.html
Original post by swanseajack1
Generally btec's are treated the same for funding as A levels. Students dont pay for them. I dont know what the funding situation will be for as someone from overseas.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals.html

Thanks swanseajack1, We are British passport holders relocating to U.K.

Quick Reply

Latest