The Student Room Group

I have no idea how to answer this question

How is our knowledge about cell signalling being used to combat COVID-19?

A summary of what cell signalling is and how it works?

A list of some relevant examples of cell signalling?

A summary of cell signalling in immunity

An explanation of how cell signalling could be used to combat COVID-19?

This is the question which I have to base off my summer assignment (which has to be a video). I have no idea how to answer the question unfortunately. I have problems answering it AND linking it to COVID-19...

Any articles, tips, facts or anything of the sorts would be really appreciated.
There is a lot of literature online on the subject and many new papers are added on a daily bases.
I think this https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1074761320301837 may help you with all the questions.
Reply 2
Original post by fprischi
There is a lot of literature online on the subject and many new papers are added on a daily bases.
I think this https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1074761320301837 may help you with all the questions.

Thank you
Original post by Jassie03

This is the question which I have to base off my summer assignment (which has to be a video). I have no idea how to answer the question unfortunately. I have problems answering it AND linking it to COVID-19...

Hi, the link posted by @fprischi is an excellent review with immense up-to-date detail on all the mechanisms you could conceivably think of. However, I feel that it might be overwhelming for a student with little background in modern immunology, so may I ask the ;level of OP?

Are you a uni student or PG, and what subject are you studying? If doing a subject with not much exposure to immunology or if actually doing A level biology, you might need some help in understanding the principles at a slightly more empirical level. If so, please feel free to PM me and I shall try and guide you through the basic concepts.

Regards & be safe!
M.
Reply 4
Original post by Jassie03

A lot of the damage caused by the SARS-CoV-2 is not caused by the virus itself, but by the release of cytokines from immune/inflammatory cells. I’d recommend having a look into cytokines (which is one form of cell signalling) and how this is relevant to COVID.
@Jpw1097,

Thank you for your input JP - it would help OP a little more if you could explain to him/her the basic concepts of interleukins, interferon-gamma and its inhibition by SARS-Cov-2, toll-like receptors, etc. which you have covered more recently than myself. Then, once OP has an armoury of basic terms to research further, he/she should be able to engineer a very good answer to the Qs.

Thanks!
M.
Reply 6
Original post by Jpw1097
A lot of the damage caused by the SARS-CoV-2 is not caused by the virus itself, but by the release of cytokines from immune/inflammatory cells. I’d recommend having a look into cytokines (which is one form of cell signalling) and how this is relevant to COVID.

Cheers :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
@Jpw1097,

Thank you for your input JP - it would help OP a little more if you could explain to him/her the basic concepts of interleukins, interferon-gamma and its inhibition by SARS-Cov-2, toll-like receptors, etc. which you have covered more recently than myself. Then, once OP has an armoury of basic terms to research further, he/she should be able to engineer a very good answer to the Qs.

Thanks!
M.

Would be nice haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending