The Student Room Group

investment banking

hi,

I am currently going into year 13 and am doing biology, chemistry and geography. I never really thought about being able to go into the financial sector and so, didn't choose maths A-Level. Now, I am really interested in a career in investment banking. Can you please let me know which options you think are good for me:

1. achieve AAA in my a levels and take a gap year, to do fast track a level maths. Then, I can apply to an economics degree at a target uni, such as LSE or Warwick.
2. apply to a chemistry degree at a target university, such as Warwick, and apply after graduating, without having done A-level maths.

I personally think doing a-level maths will be beneficial and make me stand out. please give your opinions, thank you
Go with option 2. As I said in your last thread, there is no specific degree required to become an Investment Banker. You just need to pass the interviews/assessments and to achieve a 2:1 to get into graduate schemes.
Reply 2
Original post by SAARH.A5
Go with option 2. As I said in your last thread, there is no specific degree required to become an Investment Banker. You just need to pass the interviews/assessments and to achieve a 2:1 to get into graduate schemes.

thanks for your reply. yes, I get that but personally I don't think a chemistry degree will allow me to have the same job opportunities as an economics degree.
Original post by Raja12
thanks for your reply. yes, I get that but personally I don't think a chemistry degree will allow me to have the same job opportunities as an economics degree.

In my opinion, it's not worth taking a gap year just to do A level Maths and then an economics degree. It could give you a slight advantage though, as most people in IB would have done numerate degrees such as maths/economics. People doing numerate degrees are more likely to have the traits IB employers are looking for example problem solving skills etc. However, this is not to say they won't accept someone who hasn't done a numerate degree, but in order to give yourself the best chance, and likelihood that you have the skills they are looking for, you probably should take A level Maths. But you need to ask yourself if taking a gap year is worth it. It's completely up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending