The Student Room Group

Terry Crews is on point. ALL Black lives Matter.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nabu123
K, fine. I feel like u dont get what in saying. Of course black people murdered by other black is gonna be higher than white people as black people are more likely to live in poverty than white people.

Both black and white households that live in poverty are much more likely to be victims of crime, and are victims of crimes at similar rates (51.3 per 1,000 compared with 56.4 per 1,000, respectively). However as there are more poor black people compared to white people - White families have six times as much wealth as black families, and the poverty rate for black people (27.2 percent) is almost three times that of their white counterparts (9.6 percent) - more black people are gonna be victims of crime, most crimes are committed by people you know, most black people live in black communities.

You seem to be missing the point; I'm not arguing that living in a poor neighboured isn't going to make you more likely to be a victim of crime, I'm just not willing to give the perpetrators the excuse of being poor.

Original post by Nabu123
Also 90 percent of African-American homicides were committed by other African Americans, while the majority (82 percent) of white American homicide victims were killed by other white people. Its not some massive disparity.

You clearly missed the point that I was making. The point is the number of black Americans that are killed, relative to their population. There are roughly 44m black Americans and in 2018 there were 2,600 black Americans murdered by other black Americans. In the same year there were 2,677 white Americans murdered by other white Americans despite there being around 200m white Americans. There was a difference of 77 murders despite their being almost 155m more white Americans. The rate at which black Americans are murdered is why people talk about black on black violence and don't talk about white on white violence.

In other words, you seem very keen to use poverty as a get out of jail free card for crime. You note that black Americans are almost three times more likely to live in poverty but when we compare the murder rate they are almost 4.5 times more likely to murder each other.

Original post by Nabu123
It has EVERYTHING to do with poverty. Yes people have choices and decisions but ultimately if the only route you have to make money and provide for you're family is crime, you're gonna turn to it. Yes rich people commit crimes but at a MUCH lower rate, and most of the time it is white collar and rarely are violent. For a lot of people crime is the only choice they have. I'm not trying to take away the blame from the criminal, but we must understand why people commit crime, to stop our future children from also going down a dark path.

How are making money to support your family and murdering people connected? I'm sure you're not going to argue that most of the murders committed are paid hits. You also seem to be perpetuating this rather unsubstantiated idea that people can't get other jobs.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Underscore__
You seem to be missing the point; I'm not arguing that living in a poor neighboured isn't going to make you more likely to be a victim of crime, I'm just not willing to give the perpetrators the excuse of being poor.

You clearly missed the point that I was making. The point is the number of black Americans that are killed, relative to their population. There are roughly 44m black Americans and in 2018 there were 2,600 black Americans murdered by other black Americans. In the same year there were 2,677 white Americans murdered by other white Americans despite there being around 200m white Americans. There was a difference of 77 murders despite their being almost 155m more white Americans. The rate at which black Americans are murdered is why people talk about black on black violence and don't talk about white on white violence.

In other words, you seem very keen to use poverty as a get out of jail free card for crime. You note that black Americans are almost three times more likely to live in poverty but when we compare the murder rate they are almost 4.5 times more likely to murder each other.

How are making money to support your family and murdering people connected? I'm sure you're not going to argue that most of the murders committed are paid hits. You also seem to be perpetuating this rather unsubstantiated idea that people can't get other jobs.

Fine man, I clearly explained that the reason why black people are more likely to be killed by another black person, than a white person is to be killed by another white person is due to poverty. There a 3 times has many black people living in poverty compared to white people, due to slavery, jim crow, segregation ect. So "black on black crime" (hate saying that) is going to be higher as if u live in poverty you are more likely to commit crimes, especially violent, regardless of race. Poor white people are more likely to commit violent crime then rich white people. Most people commit crimes against people they know I.e black people are more likely to commit crimes against other black people, same with every other race.

I'm just wondering what your reason would be why more black Americans are killed by other black Americans, than white Americans killed by other whites. If its not poverty what is it. Honestly I'm asking cause I cant think of any other reason, and if you say culture I will scrreeeeaaaammmmm.

I'm not trying to excuse the criminals but homicides in the community will continue at the same rate unless we get to the route cause. I want murders to be in prison serving there time, but I also don't want more people to be killed. So many black lives could be saved if we helped reduced poverty.
Original post by Nabu123
Fine man, I clearly explained that the reason why black people are more likely to be killed by another black person, than a white person is to be killed by another white person is due to poverty. There a 3 times has many black people living in poverty compared to white people, due to slavery, jim crow, segregation ect. So "black on black crime" (hate saying that) is going to be higher as if u live in poverty you are more likely to commit crimes, especially violent, regardless of race. Poor white people are more likely to commit violent crime then rich white people. Most people commit crimes against people they know I.e black people are more likely to commit crimes against other black people, same with every other race.

I'm just wondering what your reason would be why more black Americans are killed by other black Americans, than white Americans killed by other whites. If its not poverty what is it. Honestly I'm asking cause I cant think of any other reason, and if you say culture I will scrreeeeaaaammmmm.

I'm not trying to excuse the criminals but homicides in the community will continue at the same rate unless we get to the route cause. I want murders to be in prison serving there time, but I also don't want more people to be killed. So many black lives could be saved if we helped reduced poverty.

Just to interject here briefly, the root cause is that some people make excuses for criminals, such as being poor is an excuse for crime. It isn't, it never was, and it never will be. Applying to this country in particular, there are safety nets available to those who need help. Robbery, burglary, assault whatever it may be are not excusable because somebody is poor.
Original post by Nabu123

As I said in my previous post - you said black Americans are just under three times more likely to live in poverty (the statistics I’ve just found say it’s actually just under 2.5 times in 2018) but as I showed they are almost four and a half times more likely to murder each other; if one caused the other what explains the white sizeable disparity?

I don’t know why the rate is higher, it seems pretty likely to me that it’s not just caused by one factor. I think poverty likely does play a part, I think fatherless households also plays a part (some of that is individual decisions, some of that is people being locked up for stupid ‘crimes’, some of that is the murder rate itself), and I think there is likely some element of culture.

The issue I have with what you’re saying is by trying to boil it all down to poverty (which you’re also boiling all down to external factors) you’re saying the poverty is responsible and not the people.
Reply 44
I don't think there's anything else to say

https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/status/1273739801464725504

BLM co-founder says they're 'MARXISTS'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending