The Student Room Group

Can't find a single college that does GCSE science for adults in the north east

Found one that does biology and physics, no chemistry, no combined science at all, been looking all day, i need all three.
Original post by rockhardplace
Found one that does biology and physics, no chemistry, no combined science at all, been looking all day, i need all three.

Use this to locate colleges, although theres normally only one FE college per city.
https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/

Looking at it GCSE Chemistry requires a practical, which your centre needs to agree to.
I see the way online providers have got round this is to do the IGCSE Chemistry which means you can do the practicals at home.
https://cloudlearn.co.uk/Course/Online-GCSE-Chemistry-Course-Edexcel/97
Maybe try looking at NCG?
Original post by 999tigger
Use this to locate colleges, although theres normally only one FE college per city.
https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/

Looking at it GCSE Chemistry requires a practical, which your centre needs to agree to.
I see the way online providers have got round this is to do the IGCSE Chemistry which means you can do the practicals at home.
https://cloudlearn.co.uk/Course/Online-GCSE-Chemistry-Course-Edexcel/97

The government link throws up schools for kids, i don't want to do them online, I've read the reviews, they're largely scam websites and you end up having to do all the work yourself.
The government link throws up schools for kids, i don't want to do them online, I've read the reviews, they're largely scam websites and you end up having to do all the work yourself.

If you use the site properly it throws up colleges.
OK GL then. You missed the point made but nvm.
Original post by 999tigger
If you use the site properly it throws up colleges.
OK GL then. You missed the point made but nvm.

Either that or i didn't find what was said helpful.
Original post by PetitePanda
Maybe try looking at NCG?

Yeah I've look at all their colleges near me, none do GCSE chemistry or the combined science, it's quite shocking because london has loads yet the north east not even one.
Reply 7
What about doing an Access to HE in something Science-y? Why do you need the GCSE's just out of interest?
Yeah I've look at all their colleges near me, none do GCSE chemistry or the combined science, it's quite shocking because london has loads yet the north east not even one.

Why do you need to all of the sciences or combined science, just for more context?
Why do you need to all of the sciences or combined science, just for more context?

The only pgce provider that will consider me for next year said i need gcse biology, chemistry and physics just so i can apply.
The only pgce provider that will consider me for next year said i need gcse biology, chemistry and physics just so i can apply.

Ohhh I see. Maybe contact the college directly if there was any possible way to do chemistry like they do for biology and physics?
Original post by Free81
What about doing an Access to HE in something Science-y? Why do you need the GCSE's just out of interest?

I have an access course with a biology slant to it, all the pgce places near me rejected me because i dont have an A level in the three sciences, one said they might consider me if i had the GCSE 's but i don't because when i was 16-18 i was in the Army reserve not in school.
(edited 3 years ago)
Ohhh I see. Maybe contact the college directly if there was any possible way to do chemistry like they do for biology and physics?

I thought that but it's kinda reaching, they don't have the programme listed and i doubt they're going to create one just for me.
I thought that but it's kinda reaching, they don't have the programme listed and i doubt they're going to create one just for me.

It's worth asking. Maybe ask if you could do the exam and practicals there instead and self study it yourself at home?
It's worth asking. Maybe ask if you could do the exam and practicals there instead and self study it yourself at home?

I sent them an email so guess we will see.
I sent them an email so guess we will see.

Good luck :biggrin:
Good luck :biggrin:

No they don't do chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest