The Student Room Group

Driving

Hi all, how long did it take for you to pass your practical test. Ik it depends on the person but for like the average person. Im starting uni in sept and gonna have 3-4 lessons a week. Do u think it’s possible? I’m doing manual btw

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, how long did it take for you to pass your practical test. Ik it depends on the person but for like the average person. Im starting uni in sept and gonna have 3-4 lessons a week. Do u think it’s possible? I’m doing manual btw

3-4 lessons seems too much for a week. I will keep it max 2. I personally only had 1 lesson a week and I had only 10 lessons. I also did manual and passed first time after the 10 lessons (so 2 and a half month period). You wanna make sure you have time to study as well. And by you paying for an extra 2 lessons a week (lets say an extra £100) and multiply that by how many weeks you will learn for, you could have saved all that money just to retake, given you failed.
I personally took about 9 months at 1 or 2 lessons a week. Most of my friends did 3 or 4 a week and it took a lot less time. Generally, it comes down to driving practice and experience. You might still struggle to do it in time but you might be able to pass shortly after.
I passed on my fourth test, did one lesson a week.

Flying cars are a thing of the future, I do not believe you will ever be able to pass the required test. But, gd luck.
Reply 5
I'm literally in the same position where I want to pass before university or before November at the latest. I was planning to take 3-4 lessons a week too but so far no instructor is available for me to do that. Would've started earlier and only taken 1 lesson a week if it weren't for covid.
Original post by Armzy
I'm literally in the same position where I want to pass before university or before November at the latest. I was planning to take 3-4 lessons a week too but so far no instructor is available for me to do that. Would've started earlier and only taken 1 lesson a week if it weren't for covid.

Have you considered the intensive courses? I know some instructors do a solid week course with the intention for you to take your test at the end of it.
Reply 7
hi @TiffSlade , yes I have. my issues with them is that I don't know the instructor, I'm scared of being given an instructor who's absolutely crap and I hate. Whereas currently all the instructors I've contacted are ones who've been recommended to me & have good reviews. Secondly, the price for intensive courses are out of my budget, I've saved all my money for driving lessons & now I don't have a job so I can't really afford even £150 out of my budget
Reply 8
Basically it's a last resort for me. If by the end of the month I can't find an instructor to take me on with 4 lessons a week, I'll have to ask around for the money and get intensive driving lessons.
Original post by Armzy
hi @TiffSlade , yes I have. my issues with them is that I don't know the instructor, I'm scared of being given an instructor who's absolutely crap and I hate. Whereas currently all the instructors I've contacted are ones who've been recommended to me & have good reviews. Secondly, the price for intensive courses are out of my budget, I've saved all my money for driving lessons & now I don't have a job so I can't really afford even £150 out of my budget

I can understand that. Instructors need to be trialled as well because everyone gets along with different people. The best advice I can give is to see if you can get someone (family, friend or parent: has to be over 21 and been driving for more than 3 years and have a full license) to take you out and get as much experience as necessary. That way the only thing the driving instructor will need to do is instil the good practice bit (checking mirrors before pulling off, etc.) and getting rid of all the bad habits that people pick up over time whilst driving.
hey, very sorry for jumping in here ik it’s not really TSR etiquette :/
Would you say it’s possible to pass after 13 lessons (£269 from my chosen driving instructor) I want to spend as little as possible....if it helps I have my theory test this week and I’m pretty confident I’m going to do well.
Glad it’s possible! Umm somewhat? Nobody in my family drives so I haven’t really been exposed to cars too often haha. I do pick things up kinda quickly though once I’m relaxed about it
Awesome thank you, will do.
Ah okay, yeah I’m all good with that sort of stuff! Thanks again
I just wanna pass as quickly as possible and will probably take a test after 15 lessons.
Flying cars are a thing of the future, I do not believe you will ever be able to pass the required test. But, gd luck.

Why do u think that. People have 20 lessons and book a test so surely if I can take 20 lessons asap I could pass isn’t it.
You can do it! Driving is a skill and the more you practise, the better you’ll get and the closer you’ll get to passing your test. I believe in you! Go for it! You can do it before uni xx
Why do u think that. People have 20 lessons and book a test so surely if I can take 20 lessons asap I could pass isn’t it.

I think (correct me if I’m wrong) they’re not really saying that the amount of lessons is an issue, just the fact that you’re planning on doing 3-4 a week. Maybe do 1 or 2 a week instead? Doing them more often may have the opposite effect :/

You need to master car control first, everything else builds around it. You need to demonstrate that you are making progress so your instructor moves the lesson plan quickly. However, I understand that there are some who 'live-off' their pupils.

There was a chap at work who had upcoming test in two days. I failed him before moving out the car park, there were too many faults in his general driving. It was short notice and was unable to the change the date, he was a broken man. I recommended that he does his homework; check out the test sheet, youtube videos and https://www.2pass.co./pract.htm

We all thought he failed, to our suprise he passed with only two minor faults.

https://nolanschoolofmotoring.co.uk/practical-test/driving-test-report-explained/

Reply 18
@TiffSlade TYSM for the help :smile:
Reply 19
Less than 3 months with no access to a car outside of my lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest