The Student Room Group

Miss

Ummm idk how this work but would you be able to help me rearrange a formular to make x the subject
Y=x-5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Madie.may
Ummm idk how this work but would you be able to help me rearrange a formular to make x the subject
Y=x-5

Yes. What do you get if you add 5 to both sides?
Original post by Plücker
Yes. What do you get if you add 5 to both sides?

5Y = X ? I’m really not good with maths, but I’m curious
Original post by ShyAutumnFox

No, that isn't correct. You need to add 5 to both sides.
Reply 4

You’ve got the 5 slightly muddled there. You’re going to need to add it not multiply like @SAARH.A5 says. Don’t worry! It’s nothing to worry about :h:
Original post by SAARH.A5
No, that isn't correct. You need to add 5 to both sides.

Hmmm... buy Y is just Y, so Y+5 yes? Isn’t that just 5Y? And then you have X-5, so you add 5 to -5? Oh wait isn’t that -10 because - + - = + but - + + = - right? Sooo... 5Y = X-10 or Y5 = X-10
I’m confused...
Original post by Moonbow
You’ve got the 5 slightly muddled there. You’re going to need to add it not multiply like @SAARH.A5 says. Don’t worry! It’s nothing to worry about :h:

Wait so 5Y is multiplying it?
Other side? So to the other side of X or to the Y?
Hmmm... buy Y is just Y, so Y+5 yes? Isn’t that just 5Y? And then you have X-5, so you add 5 to -5? Oh wait isn’t that -10 because - + - = + but - + + = - right? Sooo... 5Y = X-10 or Y5 = X-10
I’m confused...

Y + 5 and 5Y aren't the same thing. Why are you multiplying the Y by 5? You just need to do y + 5 to make x the subject in this case.
Y + 5 and 5Y aren't the same thing. Why are you multiplying the Y by 5? You just need to do y + 5 to make x the subject in this case.

I’m sorry, I struggle with maths a lot, I have dyscalculia (basically dyslexic but numbers) it makes a bit more sense now yes I thought the same thing but I guess it’s a different thing if you have 5 x let’s say y = 2 so 5 x 2 or 2 + 5...

So if I have Y = X-5 I have to make it a +5 to get X but then I have to add the +5 to the Y yes? So, not multiplication but addition so it’s a Y+5...? So I have the entire thing to

Y+5 = X.......?
Ok
I’m sorry, I struggle with maths a lot, I have dyscalculia (basically dyslexic but numbers) it makes a bit more sense now yes I thought the same thing but I guess it’s a different thing if you have 5 x let’s say y = 2 so 5 x 2 or 2 + 5...

So if I have Y = X-5 I have to make it a +5 to get X but then I have to add the +5 to the Y yes? So, not multiplication but addition so it’s a Y+5...? So I have the entire thing to

Y+5 = X.......?

Yes, it is addition in this case. x = y + 5 is correct.
Yes, it is addition in this case. x = y + 5 is correct.

Wait... why is the X suddenly at the front?!
Also, I managed! Even though this wasn’t even my post :smile: thank you so much for all the help! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh I actually did it! Even though this wasn’t even my post :smile: thank you so much for all the help!
Wait... why is the X suddenly at the front?!

You could write it as x = Y + 5 or Y + 5 = x. Your answer is correct.

Ohhh ok, thank you so much for your patience and help! Really really appreciate it!
Wait so 5Y is multiplying it?

Yup. You’d need to write 5+y=x :h:
Original post by Moonbow
Yup. You’d need to write 5+y=x :h:

Managed to solve it thank you 😊
Reply 18

Ohhh ok, thank you so much for your patience and help! Really really appreciate it!

Just a word of advice.

The equals symbol (=) is what's known as a symmetric relation, which is just a posh way of saying that a = b and b = a mean the same thing.

So you can write x = Y + 5 or Y + 5 = x, and these should be read as "x is equal to Y plus 5" or "Y plus 5 is equal to x".

However, if you are asked to "make something the subject of an equation" then it is conventional, if not expected, to put the something on the left hand side of the equals sign. Otherwise, a human marker (or automated marking machine) might think you have misunderstood the question and mark your answer incorrect :smile:
Original post by davros
Just a word of advice.

The equals symbol (=) is what's known as a symmetric relation, which is just a posh way of saying that a = b and b = a mean the same thing.

So you can write x = Y + 5 or Y + 5 = x, and these should be read as "x is equal to Y plus 5" or "Y plus 5 is equal to x".

However, if you are asked to "make something the subject of an equation" then it is conventional, if not expected, to put the something on the left hand side of the equals sign. Otherwise, a human marker (or automated marking machine) might think you have misunderstood the question and mark your answer incorrect :smile:

I don’t quite understand the last bit, could you perhaps explain and simplify your latter paragraph? Thank you :smile: also thank you for explaining the top!

Quick Reply

Latest