The Student Room Group

Is it okay if I start preparation for IGCSEs in year 11

After finishing year 10 in a Canadian school, my family was forced to move to Georgia and the only decent English school that provided somewhat of a good discount for expatriates was a British one. They admitted me into year 11 and informed me that I will be taking IGCSEs at the end of the academic year. Upon doing prior research into anything GCSE related, I found out that it is a two-year program and that the British curriculum is very different from the Canadian one. As far as I know, I will be taking English, Maths, English Lit, Combined Sciences, Russian (First Language), History, Economics, Sociology, and Music. I am pretty anxious about doing IGCSEs and wanted to relieve some of my stress by asking whether I will be able to catch up with the rest of the kids that have been in that school from year 10. Is it possible to catch up with the syllabus and be able to score decent grades?
I think it's better to start over from year 10. If you have bad gcse grades/ not doing well, you might screw up your a level. Also, while gcse grades are generally not very important, if you want to do medic/ law you must have lots of 8/9.
possible, but difficult. i'd take advantage of the summer to catch up on year 10 work and get some revision guides. some people who've done gcses will say they didn't start revising for them till a few months before the exams. get the app adapt to help you plan a revision timetable.
Reply 3
Original post by Arctic Kitten
I think it's better to start over from year 10. If you have bad gcse grades/ not doing well, you might screw up your a level. Also, while gcse grades are generally not very important, if you want to do medic/ law you must have lots of 8/9.

Thanks for the heads up! However, I do want to graduate at my predicted age. Seeing that you are experienced in GCSEs can you please recommend some resources that I could look over to catch up with the syllabus over the summer?
Reply 4
Original post by absolutelysprout
possible, but difficult. i'd take advantage of the summer to catch up on year 10 work and get some revision guides. some people who've done gcses will say they didn't start revising for them till a few months before the exams. get the app adapt to help you plan a revision timetable.

Thanks for the advice! Do you have any other resources that I could use to catch up with the courses I am taking?
Original post by TomCADON
Thanks for the advice! Do you have any other resources that I could use to catch up with the courses I am taking?

no worries:smile:
for a wide variety of subjects- quizlet (especially good for english) and seneca.
for maths- corbettmaths, examsolutions.net, physics and maths tutor, mathsgenie, dr frost maths
for english lit- genius, litcharts, sparknotes, cliffnotes, the youtube channels mr bruff and mr salles teaches english. gradesaver sometimes has some good stuff on there too but it's hit and miss.
cgp revision guides tend to be very popular at gcse and they are pretty good so if you haven't got some i'd definitely recommend getting a few :yep:
How difficult it is really depends on how much of the content you've already done in canadian courses. Find out whether these are Edexcel or CIE GCSEs and then look up the spec to see how it matches with what you've done so far. Definitely take advantage of the time you have now to fill in some of the gaps.

Quick Reply

Latest