The Student Room Group

Car V5C and Tax issue - help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StriderHort
I forgot to ask about this bit, are you sure you put the right number in? The V5C/2 has several similar ones. The website coming back and essentially saying the car/registration doesn't exist is a pretty big problem (and would likely stop you taxing it at the PO also)

If the vehicle still shows as taxed by anybody, then the police shouldn't pick it up with ANPR...but the tax of the vehicle isn't currently within your control, you don't know if or when they've requested a refund.

I would either have another try online using every number, or go to the PO and simply ask their advice, it's a reasonable question and they will have zero interest in grassing you in to anyone and hassling you for backpayments.

The website comes back to say my registration exists for example if I want to check MOT history.
But says my v5C/2 is invalid if I want to tax.
This could mean there is a full V5C somewhere more recent than my v5C/2.

Yeh that is what I was thinking. My vehicle is taxed but if other guy cancels or refunds I'm screwed.
I have tried every number online. Imma go post office in 20 minutes with v62 and see if they can help.
Reply 21
Original post by BlueSpikes
Thank you.
This tom guy has been the passive aggressive one on this forum. I guess he has his reasons being a "resident motoring ****"

Sorry if you feel that way, but frankly this was the sellers responsibility and you shouldn't have let them just palm you off.
Yes the seller did.
So I took that and combined it with the v62 form and sent it 4 months ago and still haven't received a V5C. So I'm now green slipless.
I do have a picture of it luckily with the reference number but online it says it's invalid.

I’d ring the DVLA asap. The car needs to be registered in your name because you’re the new keeper and yes it’s taxed but it needs to be taxed in your name too.

means you won’t be able to tax it either when the tax is due for renewal in November.

please be careful, this could also cause insurance implications too because if you were to have an accident and your insurance company see that the car isn’t registered to you properly they could well refuse to cover you, but just ask DVLA what the problem is because that is really very strange
Also, I think you’re meant to contact the DVLA if they haven’t issued you with a V5C within 4-6 weeks, so you probably should have contacted them long before now but do so ASAP
Original post by Apple2017
Also, I think you’re meant to contact the DVLA if they haven’t issued you with a V5C within 4-6 weeks, so you probably should have contacted them long before now but do so ASAP

I looked for a 'One does not simply 'contact the DVLA' gif but couldn't see one, but yea, that. :P They really don't like directly talking to people at the best of times. I'd be trying a full Post Office first just as a better chance at talking to a human quickly/ever.
I looked for a 'One does not simply 'contact the DVLA' gif but couldn't see one, but yea, that. :P They really don't like directly talking to people at the best of times. I'd be trying a full Post Office first just as a better chance at talking to a human quickly/ever.

Well it’s the DVLA that issue a V5C so not a lot the PO can do I don’t think
The website comes back to say my registration exists for example if I want to check MOT history.
But says my v5C/2 is invalid if I want to tax.
This could mean there is a full V5C somewhere more recent than my v5C/2.

Yeh that is what I was thinking. My vehicle is taxed but if other guy cancels or refunds I'm screwed.
I have tried every number online. Imma go post office in 20 minutes with v62 and see if they can help.

I don't want to worry you any further, but as you probably know a V5C isn't proof of ownership. Did you pay for this electronically, or was it cash on collection? If the latter, did you get a signed receipt from the seller?
Well it’s the DVLA that issue a V5C so not a lot the PO can do I don’t think

TBH I'm not entirely sure what the PO can do either, I've never tried, but the Gov website seems reasonably clear that if you have a tax/form problem and for whatever reason the DVLA isn't a direct option, go to the PO and ask.

I honestly have no idea if they have access to the DVLA systems but they seem to have a close enough working relationship that it seems possible. They might at least be in a position to provide the OP with better info than they have now.
Reply 28
Something seems dodgy about this car sale...
TBH I'm not entirely sure what the PO can do either, I've never tried, but the Gov website seems reasonably clear that if you have a tax/form problem and for whatever reason the DVLA isn't a direct option, go to the PO and ask.

I honestly have no idea if they have access to the DVLA systems but they seem to have a close enough working relationship that it seems possible. They might at least be in a position to provide the OP with better info than they have now.

Could do, it’s a worth a try I suppose.

im in Northern Ireland so the process is a bit different over here.

to tax a car as a new keeper we can’t do it online and we have to go to the PO, when the renewal is due we can do it online from then onwards.

i don’t know why though. Our tax is dealt with by DVLA, we have the DVA here but they only do driver licensing and MOT in NI
Original post by IWMTom
Something seems dodgy about this car sale...

Was it the bit where the guy ran away?
Reply 31
Was it the bit where the guy ran away?

And the logbook that wasn't the right logbook :laugh:
Imma go postoffice and find out. Was busy making a youtube video today.
Will update you all tomorrow
Alright. Update for y'all.
I went to the post office and brought my V62 form to tax.
He told me sometimes the machine allows me to tax with the form sometimes not. Today I couldn't. So he helped me send off another V62 form to the DVLA with a postal order for 25 pound.
I guess I will have to wait again another 4 to 6 weeks to receive the V5C and tax it.
Hopefully I receive it before I go back to medical school on the 24th of August...
Reply 34
Alright. Update for y'all.
I went to the post office and brought my V62 form to tax.
He told me sometimes the machine allows me to tax with the form sometimes not. Today I couldn't. So he helped me send off another V62 form to the DVLA with a postal order for 25 pound.
I guess I will have to wait again another 4 to 6 weeks to receive the V5C and tax it.
Hopefully I receive it before I go back to medical school on the 24th of August...

As mentioned previously, 4-6 weeks is very optimistic. Paper forms simply are not being processed at speed right now.
Original post by IWMTom
As mentioned previously, 4-6 weeks is very optimistic. Paper forms simply are not being processed at speed right now.

Ye. true. Still gotta wait and see either way.
Reply 36
The tax won’t show as not existing until the V5 gets processed and a change of ownership occurs. You may have a fake V5 however or the vehicle could be registered as being exported or scrapped if the number is invalid

TheDE
That sounds very annoying, OP. I’m glad when I bought my car it was a simple enough process and my V5c arrived like 2 weeks later
That sounds very annoying, OP. I’m glad when I bought my car it was a simple enough process and my V5c arrived like 2 weeks later

Ah yeh if only it was as simple as that.
This is my second car.
My first car it was pretty straightforward for obtaining the V5C
Ah yeh if only it was as simple as that.
This is my second car.
My first car it was pretty straightforward for obtaining the V5C

I hope you get sorted! How annoying!

Quick Reply

Latest