The Student Room Group

GCSE History struggles

I took history and geography for my GCSEs, as I was good at them in Y9 and couldn't pick which one I'd rather do. Now a year later, I'm getting consistent 8 and 9s in my geography tests but 4 and 5s on history tests. I just can't seem to get the hang of the questions, and it starting to really stress me out.

Does anybody have any good revision sources I could start using to practice?
Wdym get hang of the question? What are you struggling with specifically? Getting through the content? Remembering the content? Answering the questions? or Answering questions in exam time conditions?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
Wdym get hang of the question? What are you struggling with specifically? Getting through the content? Remembering the content? Answering the questions? or Answering questions in exam time conditions?

truthfully, im not sure, since my teacher never tells me what i could improve on in my exams. however, im pretty sure its actually to do with answering the question. maybe i should have a look at some perfect answers? and try practice writing answers off of that? i have no idea, im just grasping at straws at this point to be honest. getting very desperate ahahha
Original post by notokay
truthfully, im not sure, since my teacher never tells me what i could improve on in my exams. however, im pretty sure its actually to do with answering the question. maybe i should have a look at some perfect answers? and try practice writing answers off of that? i have no idea, im just grasping at straws at this point to be honest. getting very desperate ahahha

Oh god I honestly dont like those types of teachers but we move on :lol: Maybe be more direct with the feedback because it definitely does help? That's a good idea - maybe you'll see what the difference between yours and theirs and see what you could improve for yours to get the higher grades. What topics do you do btw?
Reply 4
Oh god I honestly dont like those types of teachers but we move on :lol: Maybe be more direct with the feedback because it definitely does help? That's a good idea - maybe you'll see what the difference between yours and theirs and see what you could improve for yours to get the higher grades. What topics do you do btw?

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by notokay
Art
Triple Science ( I think) - AQA
English Lang + Lit - AQA
Geography - Edexel
History - Edexel
Maths - Edexel
Spanish - AQA

What topics do you do in history?
I can recommend you with some useful YouTube channels covering Edexcel History.😊
At GCSE, structure is EVERYTHING. Each question has a different set structure.
The content isn't too hard to learn, it's just a lot but it's quite simple. So revise the content in any way you revise, but most importantly learn how to write questions.
Original post by notokay
Art
Triple Science ( I think) - AQA
English Lang + Lit - AQA
Geography - Edexel
History - Edexel
Maths - Edexel
Spanish - AQA

I meant history topics...
Reply 8
I meant history topics...

super embarassing sorry omg
for history i've done American West, Medicine + WW1
currently im doing Anglo Saxons and Norman England
next year im doing Nazi Germany
Original post by notokay

Oh no don't worry I tend to get confused a lot. I can help you with some feedback for American west and medicine essays, if you want (although they wont be the greatest advice) - I would help you with nazi Germany but that's A2 content? If you want some resources for nazi Germany, I can also help you with that
Original post by notokay

I would recommend “a long, long time ago... and “CCC Media” which can help you cover and perfect exam technique.
Also BBC Teach is useful for covering content.

Good Luck 😊
Reply 11
Oh no don't worry I tend to get confused a lot. I can help you with some feedback for American west and medicine essays, if you want (although they wont be the greatest advice) - I would help you with nazi Germany but that's A2 conte

Original post by GCSE_Rockstar32
I would recommend “a long, long time ago... and “CCC Media” which can help you cover and perfect exam technique.
Also BBC Teach is useful for covering content.

Good Luck 😊

thank you so much :smile:
Original post by notokay
I took history and geography for my GCSEs, as I was good at them in Y9 and couldn't pick which one I'd rather do. Now a year later, I'm getting consistent 8 and 9s in my geography tests but 4 and 5s on history tests. I just can't seem to get the hang of the questions, and it starting to really stress me out.

u can make spider diagrams or flashcards on key facts - memorise them and then use them in ur answer - as long as u use clear precise evidence with ur answer and dont blabble abt non useful stuff u should be fine
u could also try out some practice questions and then upload it on tsr to get people to mark it for u if u want :smile:
Original post by notokay

I got a low 5 / 4 in my year 11 mock. I then used quizlet to basically make flash cards of the whole course and ended up getting an 8 in the end
Reply 14
Oh no don't worry I tend to get confused a lot. I can help you with some feedback for American west and medicine essays, if you want (although they wont be the greatest advice) - I would help you with nazi Germany but that's A2 content? If you want some resources for nazi Germany, I can also help you with that

sorry, its weimar and nazi germany which is the 3rd and final paper i will have for my history gcse (a few months ago i downloaded tons of past papers). also, please don't stress out about helping me :smile: the last thing i would want to do is put pressure on another person. im pretty sure i just need to work on my structure and exam technique. thank you for your offer though
Reply 15
Original post by Raptor Jesus
u can make spider diagrams or flashcards on key facts - memorise them and then use them in ur answer - as long as u use clear precise evidence with ur answer and dont blabble abt non useful stuff u should be fine
u could also try out some practice questions and then upload it on tsr to get people to mark it for u if u want :smile:

people mark answers on here? sorry i just joined yesterday so this is all new to me :smile: thank you for your tips
Original post by notokay
people mark answers on here? sorry i just joined yesterday so this is all new to me :smile: thank you for your tips

yea i seen people do it for english so i guess u can do the same for history
no problemo :biggrin:
Original post by notokay
sorry, its weimar and nazi germany which is the 3rd and final paper i will have for my history gcse (a few months ago i downloaded tons of past papers). also, please don't stress out about helping me :smile: the last thing i would want to do is put pressure on another person. im pretty sure i just need to work on my structure and exam technique. thank you for your offer though

Omg I'm learning that for one part of my A level. I'm not really that stressed tbh - I should be but oh well. Defo recommend putting your answers on here if your teachers dont give feedback. Good luck :rave: Once you get the structure and exam technique down, it will be so helpful later on when you don have to worry about it later on and gives you time to answer in exams faster.
Original post by notokay

Yeah they do (mostly for english tho) - they also mark personal statements but it's a private forum so no one sees it and google wont catch it for plagiarism. I tend to do it if I know the topic. If you post it in history study help forum, people with more knowledge in history will be able to see it and hopefully, they can check your essay out.
Reply 18
Omg I'm learning that for one part of my A level. I'm not really that stressed tbh - I should be but oh well. Defo recommend putting your answers on here if your teachers dont give feedback. Good luck :rave: Once you get the structure and exam technique down, it will be so helpful later on when you don have to worry about it later on and gives you time to answer in exams faster.

Yeah they do (mostly for english tho) - they also mark personal statements but it's a private forum so no one sees it and google wont catch it for plagiarism. I tend to do it if I know the topic. If you post it in history study help forum, people with more knowledge in history will be able to see it and hopefully, they can check your essay out.

thats great! honestly, people on here have been so nice and supportive its really eased my uneasyness about school :smile: thank you for all your tips and helpful information

Quick Reply

Latest