The Student Room Group

A junior doctor calls me ‘boss’ and it makes me..

Feel a bit weird and singled out. What does it mean to be called a boss? Do I look old? Is there something wrong with me? I’m a student btw.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He’s white lol
Reply 2
So he’s being low key racist?
Reply 3
If I’m asian and he’s calling me ‘boss’ that’s a bit racist because he assumes I’m Indian when I’m south Asian. It annoys me so much for some reason.
Reply 4
Original post by Nnahahahah
Feel a bit weird and singled out. What does it mean to be called a boss? Do I look old? Is there something wrong with me? I’m a student btw.

On the bright side he's not ignoring you as you feel others have? Maybe take some positives away from this connection instead of negatives?
That's really interesting: I had no idea 'boss' was used like that in 'Indian English'. Thanks :smile:
I think if you are going to find your feet in medicine more (having read other posts), it's best to try and not see things as being personal. Even if he called you ******** (which I hope he wouldn't!), it's likely a term of endearment. Try to focus on what you're learning and what you hope to get out of each session and building on your skills than taking all of these things personally! X B
I sometimes use the term boss at work, with my junior colleagues (I’m Caucasian female). After evening handover on a night shift, I might say “right then boss, what’s the plan?” - my meaning behind it being, although I’m the registrar and you’re probably used to me telling you what the plan of action is, actually I’m recognising that you can take the lead a bit here with dividing up the tasks, etc. I see it as a term of deference/respect, almost, and it’s said with a smile, and as a way of allowing my junior colleague to step up a little bit and take a lead / feel able to contribute, at a moment where they might not ordinarily have thought they could/should. I would say it to anyone whatever race they were, and would certainly not intend any racial connotation by it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Female caucasian british registrar here, also used to a caucasian british GP trainee calling me and lots of other colleagues (junior and senior) boss.
Reply 9
I wouldn't think anything of it. Whenever I've used it, it's been a sign of respect but in a colloquial/friendly way.
I've also definitely seen it used by non-Indians frequently.

If you're reading into it you are likely creating drama where there is none.
You keep making very bizarre threads and I'm honestly starting to think you're just trolling.
Original post by Nnahahahah
If I’m asian and he’s calling me ‘boss’ that’s a bit racist because he assumes I’m Indian when I’m south Asian. It annoys me so much for some reason.

Yep you certainly seem to have found him out. Any chance you could have a word with him , consult your lawyer, contact HR or talk to the equalities commission about this abuse? Has it traumatised you?.
I'm white and call people boss, but only if I think they are 3/7ths Uzbek
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I'm white and call people boss, but only if I think they are 3/7ths Uzbek

Damn, is that why my consultant calls me boss? :colondollar:
Reply 15
it's normal to assume everyone is more senior than you if you are at the bottom of the pole, so therefore you call them 'boss'. why are you bothered?
It just means mate. Stop whining about everything.
Endocrinology registrars used to call me (then brand new FY1) "boss". Both were from Pakistan. It's just cultural like ecolier's link says.

Or maybe it's not and I had massive gravitas and leadership potential from day one :smug:
You are definitely overthinking this.

It's a pretty commonly used term, it's not racist!
Original post by Etomidate
It just means mate. Stop whining about everything.

Careful now, OP might make a new post about you calling him a snowflake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending