The Student Room Group

AQA English A level NEA help! “Making connections”

So we are starting our NEA, in which we have to compare a literary and non-literary text about WW1. We have already been given a few texts to choose from, but I am honestly struggling. I really want to do the representations of women in the war, and I have looked at the possibility of using “testament of youth” for my literary text. I don’t have any ideas for my non-literary text yet!!!???
Original post by Islaludgate
So we are starting our NEA, in which we have to compare a literary and non-literary text about WW1. We have already been given a few texts to choose from, but I am honestly struggling. I really want to do the representations of women in the war, and I have looked at the possibility of using “testament of youth” for my literary text. I don’t have any ideas for my non-literary text yet!!!???

Does your non-literary text have to be a full-length work? If not, perhaps you could consider a speech? You could check out this site for WWI non-lit resources: https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/ww1.htm
Reply 2

How are you defining 'non-literary'? What texts have been suggested for you to look at? Let me know the answers, and I can probably suggest a few texts to get you going. Perhaps a starting-point for you would be to go to the AQA website, and have a look at their 'Resource Package : Non-Exam Assessment' guidance - just to clarify what's required. It's excellent that you've already got a line of thinking (reps of women) with which to start this part of the A Level. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Wilf G
How are you defining 'non-literary'? What texts have been suggested for you to look at? Let me know the answers, and I can probably suggest a few texts to get you going. Perhaps a starting-point for you would be to go to the AQA website, and have a look at their 'Resource Package : Non-Exam Assessment' guidance - just to clarify what's required. It's excellent that you've already got a line of thinking (reps of women) with which to start this part of the A Level. :smile:

Hi, the non - literary suggestions are things such as:
Transcripts of key political speeches
Propaganda posters or other documents Contemporary News Reports
Modern media coverage
Child-directed language e.g. children’s books, textbooks
Military documents, e.g. battle reports, medal citations, instructional texts
Personal letters Diaries
Transcribed Speech e.g. interviews or spoken accounts
Any other appropriate non-literary text.

I’m really just struggling to find two texts that I can compare, in which I will have enough to say about the representations of women.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Hi, the non - literary suggestions are things such as:
Transcripts of key political speeches
Propaganda posters or other documents Contemporary News Reports
Modern media coverage
Child-directed language e.g. children’s books, textbooks
Military documents, e.g. battle reports, medal citations, instructional texts
Personal letters Diaries
Transcribed Speech e.g. interviews or spoken accounts
Any other appropriate non-literary text.

I’m really just struggling to find two texts that I can compare, in which I will have enough to say about the representations of women.

Thank you :smile:

No problem! Depending on the angle you're taking, it's amazing what Googling 'Women in WW1' will bring! There are lots of bits and pieces you could have a look through, if you do that search, including some material on the BBC site. Otherwise, https://www.bl.uk/world-war-one/teaching-resources?page=2 is quite helpful, as is http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/firstworldwar/document_packs/women.htm. In terms of maybe more literary texts, you could try 'Not So Quiet' (Helen Zenna Smith), or 'The Return of the Soldier' (Rebecca West). Poetry-wise, there's 'Scars Upon My Heart' (edited by Catherine Reilly), which is a really useful anthology. I hope this helps a bit! Let me know how you get on, and we could consider possible titles. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending