The Student Room Group

DSA laptop upgrade + questions about Invate

I have gotten my DSA funding and was asked to purchase from a supplier called Invate. However, because of the relatively low specs of the laptop they can give me for free (which I know sounds ridiculous but it is not a big step up from my current laptop, which is currently struggling to keep up with the programs I use for my studies etc.) I want to upgrade (bearing in mind that I can bear the added cost) How easy is this and can I simply choose which laptop to upgrade to or do I have to go with what the supplier has access to.

Also what are you guys experiences with Invate? While I'm sure they can deliver what I need, in terms of the laptops they have they're not that great, and it seems they haven't updated parts of their website in many years (one of their advertised windows laptop upgrade options has a processor from 2014 :unimpressed:). This makes me a little nervous about using them in this regard, tho I don't have issues with them acquiring the other equipment and software I need. I have also heard that you can buy the laptop yourself, get parts of that cost reimbursed, and then have the supplier handle the rest for you. Is this a more sensible option in my situation?
I believe you have to go with what the supplier has/ what DSA have decided however I’m sure if you wanted another model you could give the first part of the cost for. Probably best to contact supplier and see.
Original post by ClaudiaVan
I believe you have to go with what the supplier has/ what DSA have decided however I’m sure if you wanted another model you could give the first part of the cost for. Probably best to contact supplier and see.

I'm not sure that this is true. I've seen other companies advertise upgrades where you pay the extra cost out of pocket. I think the only one I'm tied to is the supplier (tho even then if I have issues than I can always contact SFE to request a change)
Original post by FlushedTable
I'm not sure that this is true. I've seen other companies advertise upgrades where you pay the extra cost out of pocket. I think the only one I'm tied to is the supplier (tho even then if I have issues than I can always contact SFE to request a change)

Yes sorry that’s what I meant. They (DSA) pay the first £200 and then you pay the rest if you find a suitable laptop that is better suited towards you.

I know with my suppliers I had to go with the cheapest quoted suppliers as they gave a list of the 3 cheapest.
Hi.
I’d contact your assessment centre. My assessment centre said that if I had any questions or issues to just give them a ring or drop them an email and they’ll help me out and explain stuff for me. Perhaps you should do this for clarification as they know best and will be able to give you a proper answer rather than a possible answer from us lot.
:h: Phoenix
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hi.
I’d contact your assessment centre. My assessment centre said that if I had any questions or issues to just give them a ring or drop them an email and they’ll help me out and explain stuff for me. Perhaps you should do this for clarification as they know best and will be able to give you a proper answer rather than a possible answer from us lot.
:h: Phoenix

I’ve found assessment centre to be really helpful too!
Reply 6
Original post by FlushedTable
I have gotten my DSA funding and was asked to purchase from a supplier called Invate. However, because of the relatively low specs of the laptop they can give me for free (which I know sounds ridiculous but it is not a big step up from my current laptop, which is currently struggling to keep up with the programs I use for my studies etc.) I want to upgrade (bearing in mind that I can bear the added cost) How easy is this and can I simply choose which laptop to upgrade to or do I have to go with what the supplier has access to.

Also what are you guys experiences with Invate? While I'm sure they can deliver what I need, in terms of the laptops they have they're not that great, and it seems they haven't updated parts of their website in many years (one of their advertised windows laptop upgrade options has a processor from 2014 :unimpressed:). This makes me a little nervous about using them in this regard, tho I don't have issues with them acquiring the other equipment and software I need. I have also heard that you can buy the laptop yourself, get parts of that cost reimbursed, and then have the supplier handle the rest for you. Is this a more sensible option in my situation?

If you don't want the model you have been recommended, you can send Invate a link for the computer you do want, they will tell you if they can supply it and if there is any additional cost. The alternative is to buy the computer yourself and claim the cost back from Student Finance up to the amount of the model you were recommended, you can pay the difference if it is more. Student Finance also pay for the additional warranty for the length of the course. One difference is that the DSA supplier doesn't pay VAT on the computer but if you buy it yourself you will. However, I would compare their price to yours as you can get student discounts with some manufacturers. You can get a desktop instead of a laptop but if you want it from the DSA supplier they have to be told by the assessor.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply